Cruiseline shutdowns

16 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Sure is Leigh.  They won't get my 'business.'   I might have join up with Costco in Canberra and purchase in pallet loads like Mic and others from NATCAP do.   With NSW number plates though, they might not let me past Queanbeyan.😁 Let alone into the Costo car park.  No worries, my son had to come down here from Sydney today as my wife is really suffering now with her terminal illness.  He bought some TP and masks down for us.   But I have a mask, sanitiser and gloves as I do work with Meals and Wheels a couple of days a week, albeit we have modified our delivery methods, drop and run.

Have a good day.

Thanks Les, I am so sorry to hear your wife is suffering. It must be difficult for you all but particularly at this time. ♥️♥️

Leigh

• Like 1

Australian government extends cruising ban until June 15 2020.

From P & O website.

We would like to share an update on P&O’s operations from our President Sture Myrmell:

Hi everyone, we are sorry to have to bring you more news today. However we must let you know that the Australian Government has extended its ban on cruise operations until June 15, 2020 as we work together as a nation to slow the spread of coronavirus.

We are naturally disappointed on your behalf that we must now cancel more cruises to adhere to the extended pause in operations but P&O must continue to support the authorities in their efforts to protect the community’s health and wellbeing.

We look forward to resuming cruising from 16 June when we can begin normal operations and deliver amazing cruise holidays on our fleet.

I know you will be wanting to know what affect this will have on your upcoming cruise. We will be in touch again early next week with an update for guests booked on itineraries scheduled to depart before June 15.

As always, guests booked on these cruises will also hear from us directly. There is no need to call. Please understand that in the current circumstances we have limited call centre capacity.

We thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through this update.

Edited by lagoon380
add more info.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Sure is Leigh.  They won't get my 'business.'   I might have join up with Costco in Canberra and purchase in pallet loads like Mic and others from NATCAP do.   With NSW number plates though, they might not let me past Queanbeyan.😁 Let alone into the Costo car park.  No worries, my son had to come down here from Sydney today as my wife is really suffering now with her terminal illness.  He bought some TP and masks down for us.   But I have a mask, sanitiser and gloves as I do work with Meals and Wheels a couple of days a week, albeit we have modified our delivery methods, drop and run.

Have a good day.

I do not partake in the Costco madness.Someone told me they have the small packs of TP that come in only 48 rolls. I too am so sorry to hear your wife is suffering, le s know if there is anything we can do.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lagoon380 said:

From P & O website.

We would like to share an update on P&O’s operations from our President Sture Myrmell:

Hi everyone, we are sorry to have to bring you more news today. However we must let you know that the Australian Government has extended its ban on cruise operations until June 15, 2020 as we work together as a nation to slow the spread of coronavirus.

We are naturally disappointed on your behalf that we must now cancel more cruises to adhere to the extended pause in operations but P&O must continue to support the authorities in their efforts to protect the community’s health and wellbeing.

We look forward to resuming cruising from 16 June when we can begin normal operations and deliver amazing cruise holidays on our fleet.

I know you will be wanting to know what affect this will have on your upcoming cruise. We will be in touch again early next week with an update for guests booked on itineraries scheduled to depart before June 15.

As always, guests booked on these cruises will also hear from us directly. There is no need to call. Please understand that in the current circumstances we have limited call centre capacity.

We thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through this update.

Thank you for this update.

5 hours ago, Pushka said:

Food hoarding, I understand. Medications, I understand. But has anyone yet explained why TP was the very first item where sales went rampant and (presumably) normal people totally lost it over getting some? How much freakin toilet paper do people use?

A near essential item, no expiry date (so no problems storing as much as you can) and the largest, bulkiest item on store shelves so they can't store more than other items means it's the first to go.

54 minutes ago, lagoon380 said:

From P & O website.

Thanks too.

While they don't want to forecast it, I don't see the next sailing as being 16 June. It will sadly be after that.

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

Thanks too.

While they don't want to forecast it, I don't see the next sailing as being 16 June. It will sadly be after that.

They are simply drip feeding the cancellations. I'd say nothing until October, if we are very lucky. 

2 hours ago, lagoon380 said:

From P & O website.

Thanks for the update. Not really a surprise but disappointing nonetheless. I was looking forward to seeing West Australia and the North. At the time it seemed possible as it was basically all at home. How quickly the World has been tipped upside down, by a tiny microscopic organism.

1 hour ago, nnps said:

Thanks for the update. Not really a surprise but disappointing nonetheless. I was looking forward to seeing West Australia and the North. At the time it seemed possible as it was basically all at home. How quickly the World has been tipped upside down, by a tiny microscopic organism.

Yes definitely we booked the 25th May Sapphire Princess, Western Australia cruise it was such a good deal, and also 25th June to Fiji, as they had such good deals when Sapphire Princess opened up Australian bookings, not sure what to do with the 25th June as I don't think that will go ahead especially if Fiji still does not allow cruise ships there?

• Like 1

Les, very sorry to hear your wife is suffering badly. Big virtual hugs to her and to you. 

Around our way Coles seems to have a reasonable supply of TP, in 20 roll packs. Can't remember what the price was. But Woollies has had bugger all, just a few miserable little four roll packs.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, subaru94 said:

Yes definitely we booked the 25th May Sapphire Princess, Western Australia cruise it was such a good deal, and also 25th June to Fiji, as they had such good deals when Sapphire Princess opened up Australian bookings, not sure what to do with the 25th June as I don't think that will go ahead especially if Fiji still does not allow cruise ships there?

Just wait til they make their next batch of cancellation announcements. When they do that, you can take appropriate action.

I don't think a lot of those 'special' Sapphire Princess cruises will be going ahead. We decided not to book any when they first came out, simply because of the coronavirus. At the time, it was nowhere as bad as it is now, but we preferred to keep away from it.

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think a lot of those 'special' Sapphire Princess cruises will be going ahead. We decided not to book any when they first came out, simply because of the coronavirus. At the time, it was nowhere as bad as it is now, but we preferred to keep away from it.

Exactly the same as our decision as well, although we already had a few other cruises booked as well.

On 3/27/2020 at 5:22 PM, NSWP said:

That is cheap Leigh $1 a roll.    The IGA stores down here has split the big packs of TP and are selling one single roll of TP for $2, maximum of 2 rolls per person.  That is a rip off.  Think I will stop eating, no more of these anyway, too much to digest.833531862_th(1).jpg.e9e95f5c6ac62c40ddd17364aabfaa36.jpg🤣

I love me a breakfast like that, I have to assume it's not called "A full english breakfast" down under though...hold the black pudding for me, eggs basted. Did you have the run of high class people buying 500 rolls at a time down there. We did here, funny thing my province produces a pretty large amount of the worlds supply of toilet paper, we were never in danger of running out except for the boone heads buying 500 rolls at a time. We have been able to get it pretty easy. I think we have about 30 rolls. $10.00 for 20 rolls

32 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I love me a breakfast like that, I have to assume it's not called "A full english breakfast" down under though...hold the black pudding for me, eggs basted. Did you have the run of high class people buying 500 rolls at a time down there. We did here, funny thing my province produces a pretty large amount of the worlds supply of toilet paper, we were never in danger of running out except for the boone heads buying 500 rolls at a time. We have been able to get it pretty easy. I think we have about 30 rolls. $10.00 for 20 rolls

Something similar to Les' photo might be called a 'Big Breakfast' at cafes here, well local to me anyway. But no black pudding involved!  It would be eggs, bacon, tomatoes, sausages, hash browns, mushroom and baked beans. I have seen it called a full English breakfast in hotel dining rooms.

Toilet paper is produced here in Oz in large amounts, evidently 80%. It's just the idiots bought up big and the sheep followed them making a shortage which is still happening in various localities. I was able to buy a 12 pack yesterday for $12 - the last pack I bought of that brand was $10 for 24.

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, subaru94 said:

Will wait and see, I guess I didn't think far enough ahead and they were such good buys, will see what announcement is made by Princess and go from there.

I am confident that Princess will refund the fare, but it is likely you won't get the extra %.

32 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am confident that Princess will refund the fare, but it is likely you won't get the extra %.

My concern is booked through TA and they will take their cancellation fee too, like TA that likes flying has with other refund from Princess.  Going to book directly with Princess after all this mess so I get money directly, not through a third party.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

who knows how they will treat some of these future cruises that haven't as yet been cancelled. It may be the same or totally different.

I think Princess will, at least, refund any monies paid before the cruise was cancelled. I'm fairly certain they will respect the fact that cruisers were loyal enough to continue booking with them despite the virus issues and will want to retain that loyalty.

• Like 2

I read a post a few weeks ago (seems like a lifetime) of someone on Celebrity who was thinking that being on a cruise with a lockdown due to Covid would be perfectly acceptable and better than being in quarantine on land because she was in a suite and her butler and cabin attendant would take  care of her. And even though people told her of the reality of the lockdown she refused to budge. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Pushka said:

I read a post a few weeks ago (seems like a lifetime) of someone on Celebrity who was thinking that being on a cruise with a lockdown due to Covid would be perfectly acceptable and better than being in quarantine on land because she was in a suite and her butler and cabin attendant would take  care of her. And even though people told her of the reality of the lockdown she refused to budge. 

The only advantage that I can think of would be someone else providing meals but other than that I'd rather be in lockdown at home. And now I have my freezer chock-a-block with precooked meals so that isn't an issue any more, plus DH helps with the meal preps.

38 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The only advantage that I can think of would be someone else providing meals but other than that I'd rather be in lockdown at home. And now I have my freezer chock-a-block with precooked meals so that isn't an issue any more, plus DH helps with the meal preps.

But with no butler and cabin attendant. It's also nice to have a choice of your meals - this deluded person thought she'd be able to order off the daily menu.