Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

On 4/29/2020 at 6:49 PM, The_Big_M said:

Nobody wants to be out of business more than they have to.

 

And cruiselines have borne the brunt more than most.


I don't know. Look at Australia's unemployment statistic in about September I'd say. Once JobKeeper ends.  So many small businesses will simply not recover. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Pushka said:


I don't know. Look at Australia's unemployment statistic in about September I'd say. Once JobKeeper ends.  So many small businesses will simply not recover. 

Would definitely agree.... I seam to think the government thinks once lockdown it lifted... everything is back to normal....... 

 

But small businesses need customers....  but people will not have the money to buy.... 

 

this is one time I am glad to be older... retied and debt free... with money in mattress

 

Cheers Don 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Would definitely agree.... I seam to think the government thinks once lockdown it lifted... everything is back to normal....... 

 

But small businesses need customers....  but people will not have the money to buy.... 

 

this is one time I am glad to be older... retied and debt free... with money in mattress

 

Cheers Don 


I do worry about my kids. If this had happened say, 16 years ago we would be in desperate financial times as our business involves interstate work with Universities. Kids aged around 10 and 14 at that time.  Fortunately one child is in an industry that is essential, and other son who likes to spend money is married to a UK GP who is a whizz at managing money and is whipping him into line pronto. And husband and I are very close to a kind of retirement being in our own business but come September we will likely be stripping back the business completely. No choice. 
 

We have done a lot of travel OS in the last few years - at the time hubby thought it was too soon and we should wait until we retired. Well, so glad we've had wonderful OS experiences because now, future travel no longer possible to the same level. Certainly not before we start to age too much. 

Edited by Pushka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a very hard time for a lot of people...

 

and thinking if this had of happened 10 years ago... it would have been pretty bad us...

 

I think of the big thing is not really knowing where the light at the end of the tunnel is....

everything it forever moving like the waves on the ocean.....

 

This has had a huge effect on all the everyday people... something nobody planed for.....

 

Cheers Don

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Food for thought....stolen from another site...

Have a read of this, i think it is from USA but that is irelevant, it means the same here...... 

WORD!!
After listening to some pretty harsh comments & arguing over reopening or completely shutting down for another two weeks, someone in their right mind wrote this.

Don’t know who wrote it, but it’s spot on.

Perspective:

WE ARE NOT IN THE SAME BOAT ...
I heard that we are all in the same boat, but it's not like that. We are in the same storm, but not in the same boat. Your ship could be shipwrecked and mine might not be. Or vice versa.

For some, quarantine is optimal. A moment of reflection, of re-connection, easy in flip flops, with a cocktail or coffee. For others, this is a desperate financial & family crisis.

For some that live alone they're facing endless loneliness. While for others it is peace, rest & time with their mother, father, sons & daughters.

With the $600 weekly increase in unemployment some are bringing in more money to their households than they were working. Others are working more hours for less money due to pay cuts or loss in sales.

Some families of 4 just received $3400 from the stimulus while other families of 4 saw $0.

Some were concerned about getting a certain candy for Easter while others were concerned if there would be enough bread, milk and eggs for the weekend.

Some want to go back to work because they don't qualify for unemployment and are running out of money. Others want to kill those who break the quarantine.

Some are home spending 2-3 hours/day helping their child with online schooling while others are spending 2-3 hours/day to educate their children on top of a 10-12 hour workday.

Some have experienced the near death of the virus, some have already lost someone from it and some are not sure if their loved ones are going to make it. Others don't believe this is a big deal.

Some have faith in God and expect miracles during this 2020. Others say the worst is yet to come.

So, friends, we are not in the same boat. We are going through a time when our perceptions and needs are completely different.

Each of us will emerge, in our own way, from this storm. It is very important to see beyond what is seen at first glance. Not just looking, actually seeing.

We are all on different ships during this storm experiencing a very different journey.

Realize that and be kind.

Unknown author

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bizziecruzer said:

Food for thought....stolen from another site...

Have a read of this, i think it is from USA but that is irelevant, it means the same here...... 

WORD!!
After listening to some pretty harsh comments & arguing over reopening or completely shutting down for another two weeks, someone in their right mind wrote this.

Don’t know who wrote it, but it’s spot on.

Perspective:

WE ARE NOT IN THE SAME BOAT ...

 

Thanks Bizziecruiser for posting that... very well written......and lays it on the line.

 

and the other phrase  which I do not wish to hear again  "we are all in this together"

 

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

 

Thanks Bizziecruiser for posting that... very well written......and lays it on the line.

 

and the other phrase  which I do not wish to hear again  "we are all in this together"

 

Don

Thanks Bizziecruiser for the post, and thanks Don for saving me some typing. Couldn't agree more, as quite frankly so far the only things that have affected us, 71 & 75 yo, are the loss of 2 cruise holidays this year, and the restriction on some activities. Actually with the Gov handouts, paid and promised, we are $3,000 better off to say nothing of what we would have spent on our cruises.

Please don't think for one minute that we have lost sight of the struggles of many, after all we do have kids and grandkids who are part of the struggle group.

Edited by Russell21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bizziecruzer said:

WE ARE NOT IN THE SAME BOAT ...

 

No metaphor bears close examination, which is why they are metaphors, but WE ARE IN THE SAME BOAT.

 

That boat is the fight against the coronavirus. What you or I do affects others, as far as the virus is concerned we are all courses on the same buffet table. You can't just say "I will do this" without considering the effect of doing so on your friends and neighbours. Another metaphor, "No man is an island".

 

To stretch the boat metaphor a bit more, some of us might be in the bow of the boat taking the brunt of the waves, some might be in the stern on a sun lounge and some might be in the engine room stoking the boilers, but we are all in the same boat. That boat is trying to get to a safe harbour without the boat foundering and without throwing some of the crew overboard to lighten the load.

 

If the crew in the bow need help it's up to all of us to help them, but it's especially up to the captain. The captain should be running the ship with the best interests of the crew and the ship at heart, not one or the other. If people are suffering, then the captain is the one with the authority and resources to help. If that help is not forthcoming, blame the captain not the course the ship is on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

 

Thanks Bizziecruiser for posting that... very well written......and lays it on the line.

 

and the other phrase  which I do not wish to hear again  "we are all in this together"

 

Don


I am so sick of that saying now, never want to hear it again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More Princess cancellations. The main one that affects this part of the world is cancellation of Australia-based cruises on Sapphire Princess and Sea Princess through August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

 

Thanks Bizziecruiser for posting that... very well written......and lays it on the line.

 

and the other phrase  which I do not wish to hear again  "we are all in this together"

 

Don

I'm getting a bit tired of "an abundance of caution" too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "new normal", or "these are extraodrdinary times", or "Unprecedented times".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm getting a bit tired of "an abundance of caution" too.

 

I was tired of it the first time I heard it from a cruise line.

 

It's just a platitude to try to justify actions they take - without regard for the other times they do things that are not for that reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

 

No metaphor bears close examination, which is why they are metaphors, but WE ARE IN THE SAME BOAT.

 

That boat is the fight against the coronavirus. What you or I do affects others, as far as the virus is concerned we are all courses on the same buffet table. You can't just say "I will do this" without considering the effect of doing so on your friends and neighbours. Another metaphor, "No man is an island".

 

To stretch the boat metaphor a bit more, some of us might be in the bow of the boat taking the brunt of the waves, some might be in the stern on a sun lounge and some might be in the engine room stoking the boilers, but we are all in the same boat. That boat is trying to get to a safe harbour without the boat foundering and without throwing some of the crew overboard to lighten the load.

 

If the crew in the bow need help it's up to all of us to help them, but it's especially up to the captain. The captain should be running the ship with the best interests of the crew and the ship at heart, not one or the other. If people are suffering, then the captain is the one with the authority and resources to help. If that help is not forthcoming, blame the captain not the course the ship is on.

I'll go with the different boat same storm analogy. I'm just glad we're not in the boat with the orange captain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

The "new normal", or "these are extraodrdinary times", or "Unprecedented times".

 

The new normal is really getting to me, there is NOTHING "normal" about this;  and when this isn't in the forefront what we think of as normal will be back. It will just take time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

 

The new normal is really getting to me, there is NOTHING "normal" about this;  and when this isn't in the forefront what we think of as normal will be back. It will just take time.

I dislike all 3 of the terms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

The new normal is really getting to me, there is NOTHING "normal" about this;  and when this isn't in the forefront what we think of as normal will be back. It will just take time.

 

I'm sure that is what people thought after 9/11🙄. Some changes will stay with us long after this pandemic is over. In many ways we have yet to see what our new normal will be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

 

I'm sure that is what people thought after 9/11🙄. Some changes will stay with us long after this pandemic is over. In many ways we have yet to see what our new normal will be. 


Nothing in the world will ever be the same again .😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not only cruise ships being parked up

 

1D87F858-E1FE-4676-8BEF-6570366E6107.thumb.jpeg.82729c044240387dfce88df2255b4726.jpeg

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...