Opinions on our plans, please

Mallefiscent

Your plans sound fine and it will be a fantastic trip. People are tearing apart your decision for Tulum, and here's my 2 cents if you want it. Yea, I probably wouldn't do it either. Personally, I don't like to spend much time traveling, even though some of my best excursions were quite a hike. However, I don't really see that much of an issue. Personally, I don't know how much time you need to be there. Let's say you are able to be there for 2 hours. What didn't you get the chance to do? For some, the thought of "being rushed" is far worse than what actually happens. I don't know that I would completely redesign an entire vacation for one excursion. What is the thinking that a land vacation would be better for a few hours of some subjective convenience? A cruise on the Harmony with all of those ports and excursions trumps anything you would be able to do on a land vacation in Mexico.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the above poster. Not sure I would want to spend a week in Mexico to be able to spend a few leisurely hours at the ruins. On the other hand, I definitely know I would want to spend a week on a newer ship to be able to spend a couple of perhaps rushed hours at the ruins. While we never do ship excursions, preferring to find our own at the port, this is one that I would definitely book through the ship.

We did Native Choice at Costa Maya a couple of years back and it was one of the best excursions we have ever done. We did the one that takes you to the ruins and then to a home in a native village for a lunch feast prepared by locals. Definitely an excursion I would repeat again.

• Like 1

A cruise on the Harmony with all of those ports and excursions trumps anything you would be able to do on a land vacation in Mexico.

I don’t agree with you. I have done the cruise on Harmony, the same itinerary and I have done land vacations in Mexico. The cruise does not trump a land vacation in Mexico! These are two different types of vacations. OP said they picked the cruise because of Tulum. If Tulum is truly their priority then we are correct in saying they should choose a land vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

I agree with the above poster. Not sure I would want to spend a week in Mexico to be able to spend a few leisurely hours at the ruins. On the other hand, I definitely know I would want to spend a week on a newer ship to be able to spend a couple of perhaps rushed hours at the ruins. While we never do ship excursions, preferring to find our own at the port, this is one that I would definitely book through the ship.

We did Native Choice at Costa Maya a couple of years back and it was one of the best excursions we have ever done. We did the one that takes you to the ruins and then to a home in a native village for a lunch feast prepared by locals. Definitely an excursion I would repeat again.

I have done the Native Choice excursion and it was a good excursion but Chacchoben does not compare to Tulum, Coba and Chichen Itza. I have been to all of those from land. I have been to Costa Maya a few times on cruises and basically there is not much to do at Costa Maya except a beach or Chacchoben. A week in Mexico does not include only ruins. We did snorkeling, beaches and shopping in Playa Del Carmen and we had plenty of other excursion options we could have done from the resort. OP said they booked the cruise because of Tulum, not the ship.

• Like 1

In the past we have done multiple cruises that included Mexico and a score of one week AI's.

The last two trips to Mexico have been independent.  We enjoyed them so much that we wish we had done this earlier.  They are so much different.  Food and experiences are so much more varied that at an AI or on a cruise.  I guess that it really comes down to how much time you have, what you want to see, and how  attractive independent travel is to you.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

We done Tulum a few times but never from Cozumel, as long as you are on ships tour I see no reason not to go. We prefer to just visits the restaurants and bars downtown and wife loves the shopping, you must bargain for everything 😁

• Like 1

We done Tulum a few times but never from Cozumel, as long as you are on ships tour I see no reason not to go. We prefer to just visits the restaurants and bars downtown and wife loves the shopping, you must bargain for everything [emoji16]

One reason not to go to consider is the fast ferry you have to take from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen and back. On my ride there and back about 25 % of the passengers were seasick. The ride didn’t bother me except for the smell of vomit. That is a pretty common experience on that ferry. I have friends from the group I sailed with on Harmony in 2019 who went to Tulum on the mainland and got seasick themselves on that ferry. They regretted booking that excursion.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

One reason not to go to consider is the fast ferry you have to take from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen and back. On my ride there and back about 25 % of the passengers were seasick. The ride didn’t bother me except for the smell of vomit. That is a pretty common experience on that ferry. I have friends from the group I sailed with on Harmony in 2019 who went to Tulum on the mainland and got seasick themselves on that ferry. They regretted booking that excursion.

Does rccl use same ferry ? Just curious 

• Like 1

We spent a week in Playa (nov 18).    On at least one of those days, perhaps 2 the  ferries were not running or ran only part of hte day.    This past Feb we were in Playa for five days.  On the beach every day.  We could see the ferries.  There were times on a few days  though that they not seem be be running on a regular sched.  Not certain why.

Perhaps someone who lives in Coz or on the mainland would have better information.

• Like 1

Thank you for the information everyone.  My oldest son was in the Navy and is very comfortable being in other countries.  My younger son and I have been out of the country a few times and feel comfortable.   My daughter in laws have not been out of the country or really traveled outside of the state for that matter.  This was the compromise so that my son could see Tulum for his birthday, and the girls get a chance to see what it is like outside of the US.   I like being on a ship just for the relaxation factor.  I would go even if we were out to sea the whole time.  To me, there's just something relaxing about being out on the water.  Oddly enough, I don't like lying around on the beach though.  lol

11 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Thank you for this.  One of my daughter in laws gets sea sick.  I'll let her know to take her meclizine before we go. 

21 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I don’t agree with you. I have done the cruise on Harmony, the same itinerary and I have done land vacations in Mexico. The cruise does not trump a land vacation in Mexico! These are two different types of vacations. OP said they picked the cruise because of Tulum. If Tulum is truly their priority then we are correct in saying they should choose a land vacation.

I should have stated in my my opinion, because it is my opinion that there would be more to do on a cruise just as it is your opinion that the Mexico vacation is better. It depends on the person and what they are looking for. If you are looking to just explore Tulum, I still don't believe that the land vacation has that many advantages. If you are looking to explore more of Mexico, then yes, that makes a lot more sense.

I believe it is fair to say that the average person isn't exploring Mexico everyday. I know a lot of people who go to Mexico and the vast majority of time is spent at the resort. Paying for an AI, means people want to get their monies' worth and I get it. They will likely venture out here and there to hit some shopping and an excursion or two. I would say the average person on a cruise is hitting a lot more different types of entertainment because it is all conveniently located on the ship, and an Oasis class absolutely trumps entertainment at any Mexican resort. That is what I meant before. Plus with 3-4 days at port, you can choose to do a variety of different land excursion too. Find all of the limitations and stress you want about it, but it is sufficient to many people.

Again, no vacation is perfect for everyone.

I should have stated in my my opinion, because it is my opinion that there would be more to do on a cruise just as it is your opinion that the Mexico vacation is better. It depends on the person and what they are looking for. If you are looking to just explore Tulum, I still don't believe that the land vacation has that many advantages. If you are looking to explore more of Mexico, then yes, that makes a lot more sense.

I believe it is fair to say that the average person isn't exploring Mexico everyday. I know a lot of people who go to Mexico and the vast majority of time is spent at the resort. Paying for an AI, means people want to get their monies' worth and I get it. They will likely venture out here and there to hit some shopping and an excursion or two. I would say the average person on a cruise is hitting a lot more different types of entertainment because it is all conveniently located on the ship, and an Oasis class absolutely trumps entertainment at any Mexican resort. That is what I meant before. Plus with 3-4 days at port, you can choose to do a variety of different land excursion too. Find all of the limitations and stress you want about it, but it is sufficient to many people.

I have been on over 60 cruises. I also do land vacations. I have only done two AI. One in Mexico and the other in the Dominican Republic. I have done a bunch of Mexican vacations. So most of the Mexican vacations were not AI. Cruises have some advantages and land vacations have some advantages. I like to vary my vacations. For something like Tulum or other Mayan ruins a land vacation has a huge advantage. Tulum from a cruise most of the day in port is getting there and back with only a little time at Tulum. Not very efficient.

As for entertainment the Mexican resort entertainment was actually more interesting than Oasis class. Certainly not as professional though. But from the heart. Since I live in the DC area I have access to a lot better entertainment than on an Oasis class ship. I can take the Metro to the Kennedy Center or the Strathmore. I can also hop up to New York fairly easy. Two years ago I did London and stayed in Covent Garden. Saw a show every night. So I guess I am jaded, Oasis class meh. Much better to do land trips for entertainment than Oasis class.

Until recently all of our Mexico trips have either been on cruises or AI's.  Last year we did two weeks on our our in the Yucatan.  This winter we flew into Cancun on a one way ticket with a plan to travel for two months.  Which we did.  By multiple  bus and by domestic air journeys..   We saw Mexico in a different light and thoroughly enjoyed our time.   So much so that we may do it again next winter.  We did pick up a few short last minute bargain stays in AI's along the way however  the bulk of our stays, with the exception of Acapulco, were in smaller boutique hotels.

There is obviously merit to any form of travel.  We have been fortunate to enjoy all three. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 9:43 AM, Joebucks said:

And I don't think it's necessarily an argument of which is "better". The biggest risk of choosing a cruise solely around one excursion is if that port stop gets missed. If you are on a land trip, short of a catastrophic event shutting the entire country down, there's no reason you wouldn't be able to see Tulum. Chances are good of being able to see it on a cruise because I don't think cozumel gets missed often, but it has a significantly higher chance of there being a hiccup. That to me is more of a deciding factor on which one is 'better" than having a more leisurely time. If I had a make it or break it place I wanted to go on the trip, a cruise is simply not how I would choose to travel there. 

But, I understand the OP's conundrum and this very well may be the best option.

I personally think that Mexico and AI's have enough to offer that is different than a cruise that I wouldn't hesitate to do both, a cruise with a stop in cozumel and an AI in the future. So knowing I would be happy to do both in the future, I would hold off on a mainland excursion for the AI trip and save a Cozumel excursion for the cruise stop. But I understand that not everyone will want to do both.