Unable to cancel excursions, technical difficulty?

PplusA

Hi, trying to cancel our excursions with P&O but the site says we are unable to at this time due to a "technical difficulty" Also the website states "Please do not call the Contact Centre as they are currently unable to assist with this" Anyone else think it's just a ploy to stop you getting your money back?

It may be a genuine IT outage. The problem is that people could, as you have, perceive it to be a ploy and just too convenient for the organisation in the current circumstances.

It is in situations like this when really good communication from an organisation helps. If they have a problem then they should probably highlight it prominently somewhere on the website and give an estimated time for fixing it.

33 minutes ago, PplusA said:

Hi, trying to cancel our excursions with P&O but the site says we are unable to at this time due to a "technical difficulty" Also the website states "Please do not call the Contact Centre as they are currently unable to assist with this" Anyone else think it's just a ploy to stop you getting your money back?

I suspect that both their IT system and their Contact Centre have simply been overwhelmed by the sheer number of people trying to use them right now.

33 minutes ago, PplusA said:

We've got the same problem and when I emailed them the response was 'Technical problem, please keep trying, but you have no success ring the Contact Centre'. When I go into the cruise personaliser I get the same message as you to not call the contact cetre!!!

I tried to cancel two excursions on Sunday. The first was accepted but then I got the technical difficulty message. I got an immediate email confirming the cancellation that was accepted and my Credfit Card account was credited on Tuesday.

I also agreed to a FCC for a different cruise on Sunday but heard nothing about that and still haven't.

37 minutes ago, PplusA said:

I’ve raised the same issue on another thread. I’m afraid that although IT is P&O’s Achilles heel (frankly, they are beyond useless), I am firmly of the view that it is far too convenient at a time when they are doing their damnedest to stop money flowing out of the company. As with cruise payments, our money is being held hostage. Some feel that this is acceptable in order to help them. I am not in that category. It is not my personal responsibility to bail out struggling companies and in doing so put my money at considerable risk. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PplusA said:

Funny enough I did ring the contact centre just now and they said the problem only started today and to try again in a weeks time!

I’ve been trying for nearly a week, so what they told you is completely untrue and further enforces my view (above)

30 minutes ago, petenlynn said:

We've got the same problem and when I emailed them the response was 'Technical problem, please keep trying, but you have no success ring the Contact Centre'. When I go into the cruise personaliser I get the same message as you to not call the contact cetre!!!

I dont know for certain but would imagine that most contact centre staff, as well as the software IT team members will be working from home now. Which will likely be slowing down the response time from both groups, and unless your problem is associated with an already cancelled cruise, it will probably be given low priority.

On 3/25/2020 at 10:39 AM, Selbourne said:

I’ve been trying for nearly a week, so what they told you is completely untrue and further enforces my view (above)

I think I know exactly when it started - 12th March. On that day I had two excursions to cancel - one went through fine and I had the refund the next day but the second wouldn't get past the 'are you sure you want to cancel?' screen. It hasn't worked since and the cruise personaliser now says no cancellations due to this 'fault' - so 16 days in total!