Cruise Critic Community
Wannacruise81

What increased charges should we expect when cruising continues?

8 hours ago, mianmike said:

Obviously you choose to ignore all the: "Can I reduce or eliminate the DSC and just tip the crew myself?" threads.  Lol

Yes I do ignore them. They're train wrecks where posters proudly display how ignorant, petty and biased they are.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, ray98 said:

.....and the cost of other items has steadily risen since '04.  $1 of spending power then requires $1.37 today just with basic inflation.

Still not much more expensive.

If I remember correct we paid around $3500, for two, for 11 nights in an oceanview on the Norwegian Wind in September 2004 and 7 nights on Pride of America cost more than $3000 each this September.

Edited by sverigecruiser

12 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

If I remember correct we paid around $3500, for two, for 11 nights in an oceanview on the Norwegian Wind in September 2004 and 7 nights on Pride of America cost more than $3000 each this September.

I'm not sure what comparison you are trying to make....but ok.

Cruise companies have always done what they can do to maximize profit, just as all business and industry does.  There is a balance between providing a good/service at a high enough quality to encourage customers to purchase and continue to purchase cruises with their company.  Charging enough, but not too much, and providing the customer enough on the positive side to both keep them coming back, and allowing the company to establish and maintain a good reputation for value. 

If it was more profitable to charge people for the water-slides, the gym, or more than what they do for specialty dining or other things, NCL would have already been doing that.  They know that if they overcharge, the market wont respond favorably, and it will be counterproductive.

Instead, what the cruise industry might do, and perhaps collectively as an industry, is spend a lot to advertise what they are doing to regain the trust of its customers.  Perhaps they will take greater steps towards enhanced sanitation, and make it transparent to the extent that they can illustrate what they are doing in an obvious way.

The cruise industry needs to fill its ships in order to stay alive.  They wont do that by charging more than what they were charging before, or by providing less than what they provided before.  They calculated those things long ago, and know what they can get away with in terms of cruise price and incidental charges.  They know if they decide now to exceed that pricing strategy their numbers will decline, and at a time when they need them to go up.

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

I'm not sure what comparison you are trying to make....but ok.

2004 a cruise was not more expensive than 2020. Absolutely not always correct.

19 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I sort of have the opposite opinion.  Cruising is so damaged that the key marketing demo cruise lines have been pursuing is not going to book right away.  The frequent cruisers (most of us here) will book.  But a big portion of passengers are new customers.  I think prices will have to be slashed in a bad economy with fear of cruising in many minds.  Maybe a few fees will always go up but the core price will have to come down, way down.  They expect the unemployment rate in the United States to hit around 16% which has not been that high since the Great Depression.  You really think FDR is going to keep his goal of getting hundreds of dollars more off cruisers?

I agree, David.  I don’t think NCL will be able to raise fare prices, DSC, charge for new revenue streams....none of it.  In the past, I was as loyal to NCL as anyone here.  It’s taken quite a bit, but I’ve moved on.  I was easy money for NCL.

Cumulatively, the changes, cuts and fare structures have finally taken their toll.  If you look at prices for NCL cruises for any dates, as far out as they have them posted, they’ve jacked them up.  125% FCC and 20% fare discount can’t even make up the difference.

New cruisers?  They’re more price sensitive than us veteran NCL cruisers.  

It’s going to be tough navigation through current rocky waters for ALL the cruise lines.  For NCL it’s going to be even tougher.  The only thing that could keep a semblance of a revenue stream was their loyal passengers.  Losing them (me), which is what’s happening, will probably put them into a downward spiral that they won’t be able to recover from.

They’re going to need a very innovative leader to do this.  We all know Del Rio ain’t that.  This isn’t about making cuts to add to profits.  This is about NCL’s survival.

Hell, I’m not even sure I’ll actually get my Escape cruise fare refund 90-days from now.  I’m actually thinking about contesting it with my CC company, and let the chips fall where they may.  NCL hasn’t given me any reason to sail with them anymore.

5 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

2004 a cruise was not more expensive than 2020. Absolutely not always correct.

How was an Oceanview on POA $3k each?

20 minutes ago, ray98 said:

How was an Oceanview on POA $3k each?

I looked at NCL.eu and the price for an oceanview September 12 was €2780 and that is a little more than $3000.

According to today’s episode of cruise radio podcast, NCL On March 31 until at least June is reducing all shoreside employees to a 4 day workweek and a 20% pay cut, and also looking to temporarily discontinue the employer 401k match,  and are borrowing 1.55B from revolving creditors.  I’ve lost a significant amount of respect for this company. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but it’s a business.

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I looked at NCL.eu and the price for an oceanview September 12 was €2780 and that is a little more than $3000.

Oh....I misunderstood.  I thought you had priced something prior to the pandemic which made prices go bonkers.

3 minutes ago, Joeghartman said:

According to today’s episode of cruise radio podcast, NCL On March 31 until at least June is reducing all shoreside employees to a 4 day workweek and a 20% pay cut, and also looking to temporarily discontinue the employer 401k match,  and are borrowing 1.55B from revolving creditors.  I’ve lost a significant amount of respect for this company. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but it’s a business.

I guess you are out of touch with how this is effecting a large portion of businesses.  Many have shut their doors with nothing but a good luck and directions to the unemployment office.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Joeghartman said:

Today the Department of Labor announced more than 3 MILLION new unemployment applications for the week ending the 21st.  If those shoreside employees are still on the job they are luckier than many, many people.

One can't help but feel a lot of empathy towards all those folks, no matter what industry they are in.

Edited by ColeThornton

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ray98 said:

Oh....I misunderstood.  I thought you had priced something prior to the pandemic which made prices go bonkers.

Why should I usa an old price when I compare then and now? Of course I took a price today.

And the €2870 is a sale! The "was" price according to NCL.eu was €3879 which is over $4000.

(I understand that it may be a fake sale!) 

Edited by sverigecruiser

The cruise industry as we all know is hurting financially with this global pandemic.  Some cruise lines taking out loans to help them sustain months of being out of service. To make up their loss in profits, what do you think NCL will do as far as onboard spending/ staffing?
Some scenarios that could happen:

All ships with Spice H20 becoming a for fee area like Vibe. Charges for water slides.

DSC increased to $20/day

Onboard spending :Shore excursions, specialty dining, alcohol, internet price, packages, bingo, price increase.

Cut staffing. May have less room stewards which will lead to having your room cleaned once a day instead of twice. Choosing morning or night cleaning. Upcharge to clean 2x a day. Slower service in dining venues.

Food cost - less choices in buffet and dining room

Less ports, more sea days. More visits to private island.

What kind of things do you expect will change cruising after this crisis?

It’s still a competitive industry. They’d all have to be on board (like the airline fees for everything). And they might. Right now they are throwing in the perks and OBC. I booked for 2/2021. If it goes down, call. Food, drink, balcony, I’m good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe to entice old and new cruise passengers they will return to the good old days of cruising. It would be nice to have some of the old bells and whistles back. Maybe a midnight buffet or two... The best foods with no upcharges, ect… 😍  Then after a year or two of gaining their passengers back they can go back to nickel and diming. 🙂

1 hour ago, larry_s_taco said:

Maybe to entice old and new cruise passengers they will return to the good old days of cruising. It would be nice to have some of the old bells and whistles back. Maybe a midnight buffet or two... The best foods with no upcharges, ect… 😍  Then after a year or two of gaining their passengers back they can go back to nickel and diming. 🙂

They might not have a choice.  I think it is going to be difficult to fill ships for the next year or two.