Travel Insurance on cancelled trip

rindybar

So I just submitted this through insure my trip for a Nationwide policy, will be curious to see if they will transfer to another cruise I have booked for next May already on the books to replace my cancelled Alaskan cruise for this May.  Since I'm not trying to claim anything against this policy and was just purchased on 2/20/20, hope they will allow me to transfer it to the next cruise.  I will definitely be weighing my options on future insurance purchases on how they as a whole decide to handle these types of situations.

18 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

So I just submitted this through insure my trip for a Nationwide policy, will be curious to see if they will transfer to another cruise I have booked for next May already on the books to replace my cancelled Alaskan cruise for this May.  Since I'm not trying to claim anything against this policy and was just purchased on 2/20/20, hope they will allow me to transfer it to the next cruise.  I will definitely be weighing my options on future insurance purchases on how they as a whole decide to handle these types of situations.

As most of us will be and we will continue to purchase through our trusted agents, where we feel most comfortable.

I do realize that some of us prefer to purchase direct and that is understandable, as I believe an agent can help navigate the situation much better, IMO during times like this.

bon voyage

• Like 1

If cancelation was included in your primary insurance package, then you will be refunded partially or fully. In other cases the chances of getting a refund from a regular insurance plan due to a cruise cancelation are nearly 0%. In any case, I would not bother hoping for any compesation from the government either.. It only touches upon those who has literally lost their job or whose income has decreased significatly. I hope people wont waste their time searching for ways to get the money back. Just get a better insurance plan next time you book 

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

If cancelation was included in your primary insurance package, then you will be refunded partially or fully. In other cases the chances of getting a refund from a regular insurance plan due to a cruise cancelation are nearly 0%. In any case, I would not bother hoping for any compesation from the government either.. It only touches upon those who has literally lost their job or whose income has decreased significatly. I hope people wont waste their time searching for ways to get the money back. Just get a better insurance plan next time you book 

... I believe most of us do have great travel insurance plans when purchased with the understanding of what we are purchasing and coverage's we want.

Otherwise, more often than not, many choose to 'self-insure'.

In health and bon voyage

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to Nationwide today thru insure my trip to change a cancelled cruise policy for a future booked cruise.  Hopefully they will do it.  We always get trip insurance and consider it part of the cost but I hate to lose $300 anyway.  Now if I can get my money back from the the cruise line....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I applied to Nationwide today thru insure my trip to change a cancelled cruise policy for a future booked cruise.  Hopefully they will do it.  We always get trip insurance and consider it part of the cost but I hate to lose $300 anyway.  Now if I can get my money back from the the cruise line....

Applying through the broker is useless. You need to connect with Nationwide's separate "claims" folks (see the policy summary that insuremytrip originally sent you). You need to get a case number and the specific type of claim forms needed, which will come from NW's claims administrator in Florida (We use insuremytrip and I am in process for NW claims right now). Trying to have insuremytrip do it for you is only going to get you a dead end and further delay.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

• 3 weeks later...

So...it looks like going forward we will have to purchase travel insurance "insurance" (tongue planted firmly in cheek!) to cover the cost of insurance premiums we pay for a policy we cannot use, through no fault of our own.  It appears travel insurers may be the only entity under the travel industry umbrella making a killing in the market these days - millions in premiums paid in and not one cent in coverage to pay out since all cruise lines are reimbursing or crediting refunds.  If the cruise industry can do the right thing, insurers should do the same.  JMHO.

• Like 1

Just now, HouLady said:

Our insurance company credited our payment back to us. We called them and had to email a copy of the cancelled cruise.

And our insurer transferred the policy for our May cruise (cancelled by the cruise line) to the next one in November.

• Like 1

I have not done anything about mine as yet, but when I ask the main person about the coverage I had paid for, and NOT getting it back, he advised me that I could put it on a future cruise, so that is what I'm planning on doing. This way, hopefully I won't be losing any money.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 4:19 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

What was the resolution to this and did you have to go through Nationwide directly? I also have Nationwide via Insure My Trip and I'm hoping to get the insurance transferred from our cancelled trip to our rebooked one.

It's still backlogged with insure my trip.  I emailed them again and they are"working on it".  Nationwide would not talk to me....I tried that.

They may stall so long I'll have no choice but to repurchase for October.  It may be $300 down the drain. 

4 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

It's still backlogged with insure my trip.  I emailed them again and they are"working on it".  Nationwide would not talk to me....I tried that.

They may stall so long I'll have no choice but to repurchase for October.  It may be $300 down the drain. 

Grrrr. Thanks for taking the time to answer though. 

4 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We had a policy with April Insurance VI's insuremytrip.com for a cruise (right now) cancelled by O. Called April direct and they moved the policy to our upcoming November cruise. Took all of 5 minutes. 

On 5/21/2020 at 12:07 PM, HouLady said:

We used Allianz and all we had to do was send them proof the cruise was cancelled and they put the credit back on our card in 4-6 weeks

We also used Allianz for two cruises that were canceled.  Sent them proof from the cruise lines that the cruises were canceled.  They put the credit back on our cc.  We always insure with Alliancz. Will continue to do so in the futute.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 2:26 PM, CarolRoy said:

We also used Allianz for two cruises that were canceled.  Sent them proof from the cruise lines that the cruises were canceled.  They put the credit back on our cc.  We always insure with Alliancz. Will continue to do so in the futute.

You were very lucky,  we used AON booked by Cruises Only and were told we have a credit good for 2 years.  

Thanks for the advice about Alliancz.

I received a full refund with Allianz ,. Go to your travel insurance page and look , most are giving refunds . Your TA should know this.

• Additionally, for a temporary period, we are offering refunds for the cost of your plan if your travel supplier cancels your trip due to COVID-19, as long as no payable claim has been filed under the plan, and you do not wish to apply your plan to a future trip.*
Edited by Midwestgal
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In my opinion, I think insurance companies not giving credits for travel, where there are no claims to process as cruise lines, car rentals, airlines all refunded or gave credits, is a criminal issue or at least very unethical. Had we bought the insurance from the cruise line directly or several resellers, we would gotten credits for the insurance. I plan to file formal complaints with the state attorney general's in the states where the insurance company is located (My insurance company is a $50 billion year company) & my state. 

At this point, I have NOT contacted "directly" the insurance company, although I did contact the one I took the insurance through.  I was advised that I SHOULD be able to use the money I paid for the 7 of us for insurance, when I book again.  Hopefully this will be TRUE next year, as I have not rebooked as yet. I agree with SFinVA, it was not my/our fault that the virus came along, and the insurance we took out was NEVER used, as our trip was cancelled before the date we were to go.

We were booked on a recently cancelled AQSC Mississippi River Cruise. I insured the cruise with Allianz (directly) more than a year ago.

I requested a cancellation and refund from Allianz when the cruise was cancelled. I provided Allianz the document showing the cancellation as well as AQSC's web page outlining cruise suspensions due to the Corona virus. In my request, I also stated I was expecting a full refund or FCC from AQSC and that no claim has been or will be made against the policy.

Just this morning, I received confirmation of cancellation and issuance of a (full) premium refund from Allianz. They didn't state in what form the refund would be (I paid with credit card). 

Edited by TinCan782
added word (full)
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 8:48 AM, TinCan782 said:

We were booked on a recently cancelled AQSC Mississippi River Cruise. I insured the cruise with Allianz (directly) more than a year ago.

I requested a cancellation and refund from Allianz when the cruise was cancelled. I provided Allianz the document showing the cancellation as well as AQSC's web page outlining cruise suspensions due to the Corona virus. In my request, I also stated I was expecting a full refund or FCC from AQSC and that no claim has been or will be made against the policy.

Just this morning, I received confirmation of cancellation and issuance of a (full) premium refund from Allianz. They didn't state in what form the refund would be (I paid with credit card). 

Mine went back to my CC by I also booked with my agent.

Glad your getting your refund

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 8:59 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

To my knowledge they will not give a refund.  This would apply to insurance issued through the cruise lines as well as third party carriers. 

But if you reschedule a cancelled cruise, many third party carriers will transfer the coverage to that newly scheduled cruise if requested that within 15 days of making that new booking, thus preserving your premium paid.  You (or your TA) would have to contact that carrier to confirm their policies.

If you don't cancel, but transfer a booking instead to a new itinerary prior to final payment, many cruise lines may transfer the insurance purchased through them to a new booking.  But refunds are not issued on premiums paid to my knowledge.

My 3rd part insurer said nothing about a 15 day time frame from the date the new booking is made.

• Like 1

I was not looking for a refund but would have expected a travel insurance credit. Many companies have issued credits and some refunds but Orbitz and its partner, Travel Guard (AIG), are refusing. The insurance Orbitz sells is a partnership with AIG. 

Edited by SFinVA