Aussies stuck on 25 cruise ships overseas

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

It is a terrible situation for the passengers on the Greg Mortimer. The company that operated the cruise is saying the Aussies and NZ'ers will have to pay $15,000 each and that amount is "under-determined". This company is expecting the passengers to pay for their repatriation, whereas the larger cruise companies are paying all the costs.

It’s interesting isn’t it, and I wonder how their stance will impact future sales.

As someone who loves expedition cruising, i had considered Greg Mortimer, but now that will be reconsidered. 

I wonder if travel insurance will cover costs?

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

It is a terrible situation for the passengers on the Greg Mortimer. The company that operated the cruise is saying the Aussies and NZ'ers will have to pay $15,000 each and that amount is "under-determined". This company is expecting the passengers to pay for their repatriation, whereas the larger cruise companies are paying all the costs.

I don't quite get it. It appears to me that this whole situation is one of the major reasons why we take out travel insurance; to cover us for the unforeseen. I know that the travel insurance companies appear to be saying that all bets are off because it has been declared an epidemic but, in that case, it would appear travel insurance is all but useless.

25 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

It’s interesting isn’t it, and I wonder how their stance will impact future sales.

As someone who loves expedition cruising, i had considered Greg Mortimer, but now that will be reconsidered. 

I wonder if travel insurance will cover costs?

This was discussed a couple of weeks ago. Someone mentioned that in January, some insurers had added the proviso that they would not cover anything related to the pandemic. It was suggested that if you had taken out a travel insurance policy prior to that, the insurer would have to stick by the terms of the contract they had with the customer. It would be interesting to see what would happen if someone claimed.

Insureandgo did cover for Covid providing cover was purchased prior to late January. So if we travelled then all costs would be covered for repatriation. If we cancelled at that point then they would consider that a change of mind and cancellation costs would not be covered. However, once Level 4 was declared by the Government then we were not covered at all if we travelled however Insureandgo policy then did cover cancellation costs after that date. If you had travelled before Level 4 then you had to make your way back to Australia immediately (as soon as practicable given travel restrictions) and I'd assume all repatriation costs would be claimable.  However it would have to be paid first.

Edited by Pushka

ABC News reports that the Greg Mortimer has finally docked in Uruguay, but that around half those on board have COVID. The report also says that the cruise operator's  (I think that is Scenic) insurer will pay the $15,000 per person cost to fly to Australia.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 9:58 AM, Aus Traveller said:

Passengers, who travel on expedition cruises, take out travel insurance which includes repatriation (for obvious reasons).  However, the current situation with the pandemic, government assistance and cruise company assistance would help with unexpected expenditure, if the insurance companies don't reimburse passengers.

BTW I think Australian Government should investigate the Aust travel insurance industry.   I only learnt of the discrepancy when my daughter and I travelled together (with her buying her insurance in UK and me in Aust.)

13 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Passengers, who travel on expedition cruises, take out travel insurance which includes repatriation (for obvious reasons).  However, the current situation with the pandemic, government assistance and cruise company assistance would help with unexpected expenditure, if the insurance companies don't reimburse passengers.

BTW I think Australian Government should investigate the Aust travel insurance industry.   I only learnt of the discrepancy when my daughter and I travelled together (with her buying her insurance in UK and me in Aust.)

The latest news is that the insurer for the tour operator, Aurora Expeditions, will pay for repatriation of the Aussies & NZ'ers to Melbourne. The NZ'ers are then to be flown to NZ. I hope this will happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The latest news is that the insurer for the tour operator, Aurora Expeditions, will pay for repatriation of the Aussies & NZ'ers to Melbourne. The NZ'ers are then to be flown to NZ. I hope this will happen.

They are on their way ......
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6719594/uruguay-evacuates-aussies-kiwis-on-ship/?cs=14231

8 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

David, they arrived in Melbourne earlier this morning, and the New Zealanders flew out later aftere being checked. Of the remaining passengers, one was hospitalised and the rest were put in quarantine in a city hotel.

Leigh

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, possum52 said:

David, they arrived in Melbourne earlier this morning, and the New Zealanders flew out later aftere being checked. Of the remaining passengers, one was hospitalised and the rest were put in quarantine in a city hotel.

Leigh

Outstanding I'm happy that they are home.

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I suppose they are happy just to be back in the country, even if the first 14 days (at least) are spent in quarantine.

I saw one of them kiss the tarmac in Uruguay as they left. Australia even in isolation will seem like bliss. It's good news that only 1 passenger required hospital treatment and let's hope it stays that way. Is it true their cruise left after Trump had closed all US cruises?

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I saw one of them kiss the tarmac in Uruguay as they left. Australia even in isolation will seem like bliss. It's good news that only 1 passenger required hospital treatment and let's hope it stays that way. Is it true their cruise left after Trump had closed all US cruises?

The Greg Mortimer started its last cruise on 15th March from Ushuaia. Ports in the US closed at different dates, but most were later.