Nonrefundable cruiseline

Ontario Cruiser

1 hour ago, MarLieb said:

Oh, yes, definitely.  Our PIF is in late September, so I do have some time.  I'm just trying to figure out what our options are and will probably start looking at other possible dates for 2021.  I just wasn't sure if I had to pick an actual sailing date or if I would get FCC to apply once we've made a decision.

The rules are changing in this unprecedented time.  You normally would need a specific cruise date.  By this fall who knows.  Any comment can only give you the rules as of today from the X website.

16 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

The rules are changing in this unprecedented time.  You normally would need a specific cruise date.  By this fall who knows.  Any comment can only give you the rules as of today from the X website.

Good to know - thank you so much!  I will poke around the X site and take a look at 2021 cruises just in case.

So now I'm really confused...some say they RECEIVED $250 refund when cancelling in FCC...some say they were CHARGED $250 when they cancelled which is $150 over their $100 pp.  And whichever this is, if I deposited $100 pp onboard and I cancel, shouldn't I just lose that $200 in penalty as agreed when I booked and I cancel before final payment?  How does OBC enter into this?

Edited by oceangoer2

OBC has nothing to do with the deposit and NRD. I only mentioned the OBC as someone said they had never booked on board as they didn''t know if it was "worth" it. My whole point is that tho' you only pay $100 per person when booking on board, you are still charged back the entire ususal $250 per person if you cancel with an NRD.  Like you,I also thought I would only lose the $100 pp when I booked NRD on board. Obviously, I was wrong. See Mark T's explanation above.

email from Celebrity on Thursday regarding May 21 airfare booked with Air Canada and Jet Blue:

As I mentioned in the prior email, If your cruise was not cancelled by Celebrity as a mass incident then no we will not fully refund your airfare. If we have to cancel it is a different case. If you are voluntarily cancelling your sailing yourself then we will not cover that. You can indeed try contacting the airlines due to your circumstances to see what they suggest.

I hope this information has satisfied your inquiry. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me at US & CAN: 844-418-6824 / INTL: 1-316-554-5961. My personal office hours are 12:00 pm to 8:30 pm CST. Should I be unavailable, any of my fellow coworkers would be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

Tia White
Celebrity Cruises
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fwdpost said:

email from Celebrity on Thursday regarding May 21 airfare booked with Air Canada and Jet Blue:

As I mentioned in the prior email, If your cruise was not cancelled by Celebrity as a mass incident then no we will not fully refund your airfare. If we have to cancel it is a different case. If you are voluntarily cancelling your sailing yourself then we will not cover that. You can indeed try contacting the airlines due to your circumstances to see what they suggest.

I hope this information has satisfied your inquiry. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me at US & CAN: 844-418-6824 / INTL: 1-316-554-5961. My personal office hours are 12:00 pm to 8:30 pm CST. Should I be unavailable, any of my fellow coworkers would be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

Tia White
Celebrity Cruises

Makes sense to me...

Thanks and bon voyage

1 hour ago, 39august said:

OBC has nothing to do with the deposit and NRD. I only mentioned the OBC as someone said they had never booked on board as they didn''t know if it was "worth" it. My whole point is that tho' you only pay $100 per person when booking on board, you are still charged back the entire ususal $250 per person if you cancel with an NRD.  Like you,I also thought I would only lose the $100 pp when I booked NRD on board. Obviously, I was wrong. See Mark T's explanation above.

Perhaps this shoukd be better explained at time of booking

17 hours ago, MarLieb said:

We currently have a NRD on a December Summit cruise.  Who knows what the world will look like then, but, I'm already considering moving this deposit to another cruise.  I know there will be a penalty to move the deposit, I'm just wondering, do I have to pick a specific cruise to move the deposit to?  Or can I just receive FCC for whatever remains of our deposit minus the change fee and use that FCC to book at a later time?  

This past December, we canceled a 2021 cruise with a $500 NRD. Celebrity kept $200 and issued a FCC for $300 in the form of an actual paper certificate mailed to us. I did not have a specific cruise in mind to transfer it to. 

Something to keep in mind: our FCC has an expiration date ONE YEAR from the date it was issued. So we need to use it on a sailing commencing prior to 12/19/20 or lose it. 

You are talking about canceling a cruise many months out, but if you are canceling under their “usual” rules, and not CWC, just be aware that you might be given just one year to use your FCC. Don’t cancel too early! 

When you get ready to cancel, I would ask either Celebrity or your TA what expiration date your FCC will have. 

• Thanks 2

On 3/25/2020 at 9:49 PM, twodjs said:

The cruise lines and airlines really need to be on the same page. If we reschedule our cruise to a similar one next May, it is a few weeks past the one year voucher being offered by the airline. Why don't they all offer vouchers through the end of 2021? 

You have to read your contracts carefully. Flights by Celebrity is a liaison between you and the airline offering their assistance booking flights.  Multiple airlines are used. Not everyone on the flight is going on a cruise.  (I have read on CC that they helped stranded cruisers in Chile book flights back to US.) Ultimately you decide on the type of ticket you want to purchase. FBC explains that they abide by individual airline rules. The airline is a separate contract from cruise. The airline doesn’t care where you go when you land in another city. 

However, these are extraordinary times. I believe the industries are trying to be fair offering alternatives. 

We booked through United Airlines and were pleased with their policy. Since they postponed our flight to San Juan I was offered a full refund for that leg if the trip. But we chose to convert our tickets to a round trip to Houston where our daughter lives. United Agent was helpful finding us a flight in October with the best prices. Change fees were waived even though we booked Basic Economy. 

2 hours ago, Blue_Flame said:

This past December, we canceled a 2021 cruise with a $500 NRD. Celebrity kept $200 and issued a FCC for $300 in the form of an actual paper certificate mailed to us. I did not have a specific cruise in mind to transfer it to. 

Something to keep in mind: our FCC has an expiration date ONE YEAR from the date it was issued. So we need to use it on a sailing commencing prior to 12/19/20 or lose it. 

You are talking about canceling a cruise many months out, but if you are canceling under their “usual” rules, and not CWC, just be aware that you might be given just one year to use your FCC. Don’t cancel too early! 

When you get ready to cancel, I would ask either Celebrity or your TA what expiration date your FCC will have. 

That's a great tip, thank you!  I would probably cancel very close to PIF so that would give me until mid-September 2021 to use a certificate if these rules will be in effect for my sailing.  Thank you!

On 3/26/2020 at 10:35 PM, Ontario Cruiser said:

Ask your airline to provide you or your travel agent with a waiver code then phone ChoiceAir with it i just did and will get my refund for my non-refundable ticket from Celebrity in 5 to 10 business days.

OntarioCruiser

We booked our flights through Celebriy air and they booked through Air Canada and Alaskan air. The flights haven't been cancelled but the cruise has. Would the above approach work?

Edited by Kaylacool

2 hours ago, Kaylacool said:

We booked our flights through Celebriy air and they booked through Air Canada and Alaskan air. The flights haven't been cancelled but the cruise has. Would the above approach work?

Ask airline to give you the waiver code. Then give it to cruiseair

Ontario Cruiser

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

Ask airline to give you the waiver code. Then give it to cruiseair

Ontario Cruiser

Good luck getting through to Air Canada, wait time was 1.5 hours when I called.  I emailed Choice Air managers explaining the situation and they replied that they were working with the airlines and would reply in 7 - 10 business days (that was a week ago).  I will follow up next week.  I understand the concept of non-refundable tickets, however this is a unique situation that no one could have anticipated.  I do not want a voucher, I want my money!  Who knows what the world will look like in 2021!