Your input on decision-FCC, refund or NCL possibly remove offers?

Petoonya

I have a booking (made final pymt January) for May 17 Alaska on Bliss. Need some suggestions on decision making..... FCC vs refund vs NCL eliminating offers.

Even if it sails I don't want to go. A family reunion has been cancelled and so no longer a reason to cruise. Much prefer to see NCL cancel this cruise, and I get a refund. But in the last 24 hours with the WH declaring the possibility of the country returning to work, it's possible that the cruise lines could even be sending ships out by May 1. Maybe not but possibly. Coronavirus could even be on the wane by then, and NCL would have great incentive to stop the offers.

NCL has maintained that their offers may be withdrawn at anytime, therefore it's within the realm of possibilities that we'd lose the total cost of the cruise in cancellation fees.

What's your take on this? There must be a lot of people in the same position. Thanks very much.

Royal and Celebrity have cancelled all Alaska cruises through 6/30/20 because Canada is closed until 7/1/20.  More than likely if you wait a week or two at some time NCL will do the same.  We have a 5/17/20 Royal cruise out of Amsterdam to the Baltics which is still on but Royal already cancelled the 5/2/20 TA from Tampa which was going to get us to Amsterdam.  Already paid in full, just waiting to cancel 5/17 for FCC before 5/15 if Royal does not cancel the cruise for us.  Not fun playing the waiting game.  The airlines are another real problem, probably not going to get anything from them.  Was already told our flight from Philadelphia to Tampa is not refundable, so we will not cancel, hope American Airlines does.

13 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I have a booking (made final pymt January) for May 17 Alaska on Bliss. Need some suggestions on decision making..... FCC vs refund vs NCL eliminating offers.

Even if it sails I don't want to go. A family reunion has been cancelled and so no longer a reason to cruise. Much prefer to see NCL cancel this cruise, and I get a refund. But in the last 24 hours with the WH declaring the possibility of the country returning to work, it's possible that the cruise lines could even be sending ships out by May 1. Maybe not but possibly. Coronavirus could even be on the wane by then, and NCL would have great incentive to stop the offers.

NCL has maintained that their offers may be withdrawn at anytime, therefore it's within the realm of possibilities that we'd lose the total cost of the cruise in cancellation fees.

What's your take on this? There must be a lot of people in the same position. Thanks very much.

I don't think ships will be sailing too soon. However, based on the below info, it seems that customers' money held by airlines and cruise lines will be protected by the stimulius package. We'll have to wait for concrete details later today or tomorrow.

"If you have a reservation for a flight, hotel or cruise, it adds reassurance that your travel provider may not see its financial situation become so dire that it will have to file for a Chapter 11 reorganization. Such a filing can add an element of uncertainty even though there's still a good chance that the provider will continue to do business as usual."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2020/03/25/coronavirus-aid-package-2-trillion-stimulus-package-travel-details/2882385001/

1 minute ago, IrieBajan54 said:

I don't think ships will be sailing too soon. However, based on the below info, it seems that customers' money held by airlines and cruise lines will be protected by the stimulius package. We'll have to wait for concrete details later today or tomorrow.

Thanks for your take. It seems like it's just making your best guess and going with it.

Hadn't thought about the stimulus package protecting airlines and cruise industry to an extent. Wonder if travel insurance companies will gain something with it too as many are asking for bailouts.

15 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Royal and Celebrity have cancelled all Alaska cruises through 6/30/20 because Canada is closed until 7/1/20.  More than likely if you wait a week or two at some time NCL will do the same. 

Unfortunately our Alaska cruise only has one stop in Canada (Victoria from 7pm-11pm) so doubt that will make much difference to NCL in keeping to schedule. I am so sorry about the mess you are in with your cruises! Fingers crossed it works the way you hope.

We also had an Oceania 4/14 Tahiti-Hawaii-SF cruise that was cancelled just a week ago. Since they cancelled we were given the refund. All the more reason I'd sure like a refund on the NCL cruise.

But Qantas (LAX-Tahiti) and Alaska airlines gave us a vouchers.

Hope for you that the cruise is cancelled. You have a lot more riding on it than I do. It's $3k for me.

Edited by Petoonya

1 minute ago, Petoonya said:

Unfortunately our Alaska cruise only has one stop in Canada (Victoria from 7pm-11pm) so doubt that will make much difference to NCL in keeping to schedule. 

Makes all the diffetence in the world since they must stop in a foreign port which allows passengers shore time, so if Canada is closed then Alaska cruises from Seattle or Vancouver cannot happen.  This is why although Royal is closed world wide through 5/11/20, Alaska is cancelled until 7/1/20.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mugtech said:

Makes all the diffetence in the world since they must stop in a foreign port which allows passengers shore time, so if Canada is closed then Alaska cruises from Seattle or Vancouver cannot happen.  This is why although Royal is closed world wide through 5/11/20, Alaska is cancelled until 7/1/20.

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Forgot about that little detail 🙂 This makes a world of difference. Whew- feel much better.

Thanks SO much!!!!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Unfortunately our Alaska cruise only has one stop in Canada (Victoria from 7pm-11pm) so doubt that will make much difference to NCL in keeping to schedule. I am so sorry about the mess you are in with your cruises! Fingers crossed it works the way you hope.

We also had an Oceania 4/14 Tahiti-Hawaii-SF cruise that was cancelled just a week ago. Since they cancelled we were given the refund. All the more reason I'd sure like a refund on the NCL cruise.

But Qantas (LAX-Tahiti) and Alaska airlines gave us a vouchers.

Keeping fingers crossed for you that the cruise is cancelled. You have a lot more riding on it than I did.

During our Alaskan cruise last summer, it was mentioned that the reason the cruise ships make the quick stop in Canada is that it was a requirement.  I can't confirm it on my own, nor have I checked to see if there are any cruises that skip Canada.  But if there is a required stop in Canada, it would make a difference to NCL in keeping to schedule.

A few weeks back, just as the cancellations were becoming reality, I called NCL and asked about lingering port closures after NCL ships are back on sail.  The rep said the ships would continue even if it meant 7 days at sea... I can't confirm whether or not that rep knew what she was talking about.  My sailing is 4/12, probably not gonna happen.

7 minutes ago, nelsonewong said:

During our Alaskan cruise last summer, it was mentioned that the reason the cruise ships make the quick stop in Canada is that it was a requirement.  I can't confirm it on my own, nor have I checked to see if there are any cruises that skip Canada.  But if there is a required stop in Canada, it would make a difference to NCL in keeping to schedule.

A few weeks back, just as the cancellations were becoming reality, I called NCL and asked about lingering port closures after NCL ships are back on sail.  The rep said the ships would continue even if it meant 7 days at sea... I can't confirm whether or not that rep knew what she was talking about.  My sailing is 4/12, probably not gonna happen.

I forgot about it. It's the Jones Act.

The Jones Act Rules on Foreign Travel
While the act allows U.S. ships to travel directly from U.S. port to port, it prohibits foreign ships from traveling directly from U.S. port to port. For example, a U.S. cruise ship may legally travel from the port of New York to the port of Miami.

I'm just assuming that NCL Bliss is a foreign flagged ship? OK....just looked up. Bahamas.

Also maybe the NCL rep was right. An Oceania ship was denied port at Lima Peru a little over a week ago. It ended up going through the Canal and made port on Miami! Extra several days.
Edited by Petoonya

11 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I forgot about it. It's the Jones Act.

The Jones Act Rules on Foreign Travel
While the act allows U.S. ships to travel directly from U.S. port to port, it prohibits foreign ships from traveling directly from U.S. port to port. For example, a U.S. cruise ship may legally travel from the port of New York to the port of Miami.

I'm just assuming that NCL Bliss is a foreign flagged ship? OK....just looked up. Bahamas.

Also maybe the NCL rep was right. An Oceania ship was denied port at Lima Peru a little over a week ago. It ended up going through the Canal and made port on Miami! Extra several days.

No, it's the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) that regulates the transportation of passengers. The Jones Act regulates the transportation of cargo. The PVSA is much older than the Jones Act, dating from 1886 while the Jones Act became law in 1920.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

.....in the last 24 hours with the WH declaring the possibility of the country returning to work, it's possible that the cruise lines could even be sending ships out by May 1....

Not a chance, the one thing the USA will be facing by Easter is the fact they are the new Covid-19 hotbed....China will continue to decline, Italy levelled out, Spain/France as the coming and next hotbed will be overtaken by the USA....there is no real leadership, only a guy who thinks it'd be nice to have it sorted by Easter....not a chance, unless he meant Easter 2021.....!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No, it's the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) that regulates the transportation of passengers. The Jones Act regulates the transportation of cargo. The PVSA is much older than the Jones Act, dating from 1886 while the Jones Act became law in 1920.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Actually Ham, yes I have been over this with the exception of considering NCL's little clause that their offers are "subject to change". A friend of mine who also has an NCL cruise booked pointed that out to me- and it immediately became concerning. Except my doubts have now been removed.

Thanks....you have quite a memory btw!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

....you have quite a memory btw!

I guess that's because I felt you were continually being bullied on a totally different thread a couple of months back, and I challenged the individuals concerned.....that's the main reason I remember you, plus I appreciate your pawky (google is your friend) humour.

Look after your health, stay well.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hamrag said:

I guess that's because I felt you were continually being bullied on a totally different thread a couple of months back, and I challenged the individuals concerned.....that's the main reason I remember you, plus I appreciate your pawky (google is your friend) humour.

Look after your health, stay well.

Awwww. Very kind of you. And again, your memory impresses!

Haven't had a compliment like "pawky" humor in many years. Thanks for the thoughtful words.

You too- keep well!

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I expect them to cancel additional cruises and follow RCL and Princess. I also believe they will convert all impacted bookings to future cruise credit, eliminating the opportunity to receive a current refund.  If the future cruise credit is not used within the timeframe they establish, then a refund can be issued. They'd basically be deferring cash refunds to a time when they, in theory, will have more cash flow to issue the refund.

1 minute ago, blcruising said:

I expect them to cancel additional cruises and follow RCL and Princess. I also believe they will convert all impacted bookings to future cruise credit, eliminating the opportunity to receive a current refund.  If the future cruise credit is not used within the timeframe they establish, then a refund can be issued. They'd basically be deferring cash refunds to a time when they, in theory, will have more cash flow to issue the refund.

Thanks very much. Wonder if this is speculation or have you read something pertaining to deferring refunds?

Just now, Petoonya said:

Thanks very much. Wonder if this is speculation or have you read something pertaining to deferring refunds?

You are welcome. Pure speculation on my part based on the policy United airlines recently implemented. 

Just now, blcruising said:

You are welcome. Pure speculation on my part based on the policy United airlines recently implemented. 

Ahhhhh- would make perfect sense. Also depending on the timeframe established, NCL can count on some cruisers forgetting they have a refund coming- cruisers with a poor memory like me. And if it's 2 years jeez, I might be dead.