Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
Sandra1616

What makes best luggage

Hi there

I noticed on Amazon and at The Bay and Walmart there is a lot of luggage possibilities out there including colours and sets.  Any problem free or extra handy brands?  What makes the best luggage?  Is hard shell or soft shell much better than the other? Then there are the number of wheels to consider, and colour.  Are there any bonus features to add on, or to consider.   I want to find my luggage easily, if I take it on a plane or on and after  cruise embarkment. I am thinking of large colorful tags.     I won't be going anywhere, until the virus is over though.

Sandra

12 minutes ago, Sandra1616 said:

Hi there

I noticed on Amazon and at The Bay and Walmart there is a lot of luggage possibilities out there including colours and sets.  Any problem free or extra handy brands?  What makes the best luggage?  Is hard shell or soft shell much better than the other? Then there are the number of wheels to consider, and colour.  Are there any bonus features to add on, or to consider.   I want to find my luggage easily, if I take it on a plane or on and after  cruise embarkment. I am thinking of large colorful tags.     I won't be going anywhere, until the virus is over though.

Sandra

Howdy Sandra! emo22.gif 

Here are some Cruise Critic articles that may be helpful:

Best Luggage for Cruise Travel

Best Cruise Carry-On Luggage for Those Who Travel Light

TSA-Friendly Travel Gear for Your Next Cruise

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

I usually start here  https://www.ebags.com/department/luggage

I like hard case and I find 4 wheel spinners to be the easiest to get thru the airport.

My luggage is black, but they have lime green strips down them and the spinner wheels are lime green. I can spot my luggage a mile a way.

I also find that you don't want to spend a ton of money on luggage either. No matter the brand or how expensive, they might survive 10 trips, they might only survive 1 trip.

On 3/25/2020 at 10:58 PM, Sandra1616 said:

Hi there

Sandra

Briggs & Reily - Lifetime no quibble repair guarantee - 

And they have a sale on now.

We travel carryon only.  We have specific criteria.  Hard side.  Spinner wheels.  Handle on side as well as top.  Expandable.  Interior must have one side that zips closed.  I prefer two, or if only one side has a zipper, the other has a cover that encloses the items there, more than the criss-cross elastic.  Must be a color other than black.  The brighter the better.  WE don't buy expensive.  I have a Revo bag with both compartments inside with zippers.  It is bright orange, and I bought it about 80% off in a department store.  EM

Luggage is pretty personal choice -  from years of business travel I like a two wheel bag (4 wheels are a pain on uneven or carpeted surfaces and the wheels are particularly vulnerable to breaking off).  Next is weight of the bag - we travel carry on only whenever feasible so I need to heft it over my head on the plane.  I have used TravelPro and am happy with the quality - last bag lasted almost 500000 miles (checked when it contained books and papers).

1. My experience is that, in terms of durability, you get what you pay for.

2. For carry-on baggage, check the airlines' (latest!) maximum measurements and buy one that has two wheels, recessed as much as possible into the body of the case,  and that is as close to those measurements (take a marked tape measure) as possible. That way, you maximize the usable space inside the box.
3. Do not buy right before you travel or you may be rushed into something that quickly reveals it is sub-standard.

4. If the baggage handler don't get you, those curbs and steps will ruin the tiny axles that the wheels spin on, if you don't take care there.

5. Remove any debris from the wheel hubs and add a tiny drop of oil to them to keep the case easy to pull along, as well as on the two handle extenders (they can rust and jam up after they get wet).