Favorite thing about your Genie!

We need some more positive posts around here these days! 

Our June 2020 cruise to Alaska was sadly cancelled, we were booked in a sky loft on the Ovation and had been counting down for a year. However, with the 125% FCC we were able to rebook for next year and upgrade to a Grand Loft which will make us Star Class. I’ve been researching the Genie service and it looks great! Makes waiting another year worthwhile. So, help me wait, and tell me the one thing you most enjoyed having your Genie for? The one thing they did that you didn’t even realize they would do? 

We were sailing on Anthem....we had a shore excursion that brought us back to the ship at about 2pm in the afternoon.  We had just gotten back to our room, the kids where showering and we were thinking we need to hurry up and get some food now running that razor thin line of "we are hungry now, but if we wait too much longer to eat, then we won't have appetite for dinner"....then the door bell rang.  I opened up the door and in walked 3 people with trays and table cloth...they set the table and put out all the food the kids had been eating from Johnny Rockets for lunch for the last 4 days....burgers, fries, onion rings, as well as a couple quesadillas and a pizza.

The Genie has looked at our schedule and thought we might get hungry so arranged without even asking for the food to show up right when we were expected to get back or someone had set up some alert to know when we scanned back into the ship....either way....it's the kinda of thing that really sells the service.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is a small thing but our genie on Anthem, Derick, gave us a note every evening with what we had scheduled for the following day.  It was so nice and relaxing to just look at that note and know when we needed to be at iFly or bumper cars or even where dinner was that evening.  Otherwise, we always had food sent to the room every day and in the evening there was always one or two desserts after the show.  They will do pretty much whatever you ask.  We will be on Ovation in September and will have another genie.  If anyone knows who was on Ovation I would be interested in names and how you liked them.  We are still planning on Alaska being a go for Sept. 4.

• Like 1

Every time I even think about a star class room I try and calculate just how much I am paying for a bigger than we need room plus a Genie.  We can do a sky class plus UDP and DBP and still be thousands ahead.  I am sure these people are amazing but can it be worth the cost?  After reading John's TA review I am not so sure.  Even if the guy had been aces on everything I am still far from convinced.

• Like 1

We have had a genie for 5 cruises and in March went on Liberty.  We found after adding up the extra's we wanted that we could have booked a SC room for about the same amount.  What we enjoy most is that we do not have to worry about watching for the big sale for the dining package, or internet, or whatever.  I enjoy making a list of what I want to do and then have someone set it up for me.  Lazy, I know, but it is my vacation and I do not want to worry about what I forgot to book.  And since we have to fly cross country every time it only makes sense to us to book a great room, we only get to sail twice a year not the amount east coast people can do.  But then, that is why there are not that many SC rooms and only on a few ships.  Most people will not pay the price.

I've never had Star Class, will experience Sky Class for the first time in 2022. My favorite Genie perk would probably be reserved seats at the shows, I love to sit front row center at shows (except my wife refuses to sit in the front row at comedy shows because she's afraid of the comedian picking on her).

There are about 10 Star Class suites, how do they handle that when everyone wants the best seats at the show?

We had a blast with our Genie Jay on Anthem in January 2019.  Reserved seats front and center- being wisked through back hallways around the ship if/when we wanted or needed to get somewhere quick.  Never waiting for an elevator- they have a call button.  More food and drinks brought to the room than we could eat/drink.  (Ok- caught me- more food than we could eat).   Never waiting in any line anywhere for anything.      It was great.  Once.

My wife and I are very low key, simple people.  We're on vacation- so what really is "needed"?  We like lounging around the pool, visiting the bars, and just enjoying being on the water.   So- we've decided that it wasn't worth it (even with the tremendous deal we snagged)- compared to what we really got out of it, Genie wise.     If you can find a deal and grab one- sure- experience it and see.   For us- loved the 2 story suite AFT more than anything.

Anyone else out there who would never want a Genie?   Aw, forget it, those who think like me won't be reading this thread... so why am I?  Oops I forgot, I live in New York City so am getting desperate!

Edited by yogimax
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SG65CB said:

I've never had Star Class, will experience Sky Class for the first time in 2022. My favorite Genie perk would probably be reserved seats at the shows, I love to sit front row center at shows (except my wife refuses to sit in the front row at comedy shows because she's afraid of the comedian picking on her).

There are about 10 Star Class suites, how do they handle that when everyone wants the best seats at the show?

I feel  like I am the only one travelling on a budget. Never even bothered choosing between all those high class cabins. Some prices are way to high. And what is 10 Star Class suites? I guess there is a personal waiter included to the fridge or something In any case not all of them worth the money. In any case you only sleep there most of the time. So there is no reason to overpay. But anyhow, its your choice,  your money

Unless you have actually experienced it you do not know what it is all about.  We have experienced it and like it way better than we did just having a concierge and the Presidential Suite on Liberty.  Just not the same.  We do more than sleep in our room.  The ships are great but in the early morning it is beautiful to watch the sun rise and just enjoy watching the ocean go by. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yogimax said:

Anyone else out there who would never want a Genie?   Aw, forget it, those who think like me won't be reading this thread... so why am I?  Oops I forgot, I live in New York City so am getting desperate!

Actually, we wouldn’t either. We enjoy the Haven on NCL and the suites on RCL but have found that we are put off by the level of service for royal suites (we have observed it many times and have friends who like them, you don’t have to be in one yourself to have a really good idea about the services offered if you have cruised often). If someone enjoys this type of service there is nothing wrong with it, but I don’t think that we would like it.

stay safe.

Edited by AlohaLivin

5 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I feel  like I am the only one travelling on a budget. Never even bothered choosing between all those high class cabins. Some prices are way to high. And what is 10 Star Class suites? I guess there is a personal waiter included to the fridge or something In any case not all of them worth the money. In any case you only sleep there most of the time. So there is no reason to overpay. But anyhow, its your choice,  your money

Cabin was fantastic

23 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

Actually, we wouldn’t either. We enjoy the Haven on NCL and the suites on RCL but have found that we are put off by the level of service for royal suites (we have observed it many times and have friends who like them, you don’t have to be in one yourself to have a really good idea about the services offered if you have cruised often). If someone enjoys this type of service there is nothing wrong with it, but I don’t think that we would like it.

stay safe.

Thank you!  I would feel uncomfortable having a personal Genie - aka servant.  It evokes in my mind some nasty images in our nation's past. In addition, my wife and I are quite independent and like to figure things out for ourselves.  But I understand those who simply want to sit back and enjoy their vacations and not have to be concerned about anything.

To each his (or her) own!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Ha ha. Sadly I am old enough to get that. She even had a park. 
m

Yes indeed she did.  😉   And the street sign "I dream of Jeannie Lane" was constantly being stolen...they had to elevate it up past hands that grab.  😄 

I Dream Of Jeannie Lane , Cocoa Beach Fl

Just wanted to share our genie experience.

Now mind you we never sailed star class but a unique situation occurred on the Allure of the Seas May of 2019.

It was the last night of the cruise and our luggage was to be in the hallway by 11pm.  We were in Cl 1728 a sky class suite.

Our tags never showed up for the valet service, no airline vouchers nada, nothing.

So I called the concierge, and he said we were not the only one in this situation,  They are overwhelmed by the amount of people doing valet on this sailing.

Wow, you would think they would have the capability to staff and perform a guest service effectively.

So I asked if they would delay luggage pickup.  The answer was no.  I did not want to do carry off with 3 big suitcases two carryons and a purse.

So I was walking back from the suite lounge Yup, needed a potent potable.

And one of the genies saw the look and my face and stopped me, and asked why I was so upset.  

I told him, and gave him the information.  I go I know you are not ours but I do not want to get you in trouble taking you away from your guest.  He goes no problem.

Here he went to GS found our paper had them prioritize and we had our paperwork in 10 min.  

I cannot not remember his name but he truly was an angel in disguise.

When I did the RCI evaluation, I did remember his name, and raved about him.

Someone working outside "the box" with a very appreciated act of kindness.

Some day when this dust settles I will beat Andrew and Lisa to their favorite star class suite on the 17th. deck and have a Genie.

Stay safe and be healthy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a great example of what a genie does.  They might be there for the people they are assigned to but I have never met a genie who did not offer to help someone else.  The comment about them being like a servant is way off.  They are there to help you plan your cruise, get you good seats for shows (and no, we never sat in the front, those seats should be for the people who get to the theater early and wait for seats).  The biggest advantage is leaving the last day.  There is nothing like not standing in a line of hundreds of people to leave a ship.  But, like people say, to each their own way of cruising.