20% Off Deal

JamieLogical

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

I just went back to see about the 20% - and it seems to be applied today on a mock booking which would lead me to believe that you can apply it to anything you book prior to April 10 (maybe only March 31 for some?), since it is the price that you see long before you get to the checkout.

But I did notice that it is calculating 20% off of the 30% discounted price, not 20% off of the base price, which is what I was led to believe.  Makes a significant difference.

I think you will find that 20% off the 30% discounted price, or 30% off the 20% discounted price, works out to the same $$$ value

When we rebooked through TA, NCL deducted 20% off the base price, applied the 25% bonus FCC, and the result was shown on our confirmation as "Guest fare". 

30% off the 20% discounted price was a separate line item as "savings" on the confirmation and deducted from "Guest Fare".

Someone else on these boards has reported the discounts working out differently.

3 minutes ago, Freckles_51 said:

I think you will find that 20% off the 30% discounted price, or 30% off the 20% discounted price, works out to the same $$$ value

When we rebooked through TA, NCL deducted 20% off the base price, applied the 25% bonus FCC, and the result was shown on our confirmation as "Guest fare". 

30% off the 20% discounted price was a separate line item as "savings" on the confirmation and deducted from "Guest Fare".

Someone else on these boards has reported the discounts working out differently.

That wasn't my issue.  It was my understanding that the 20% was off of the base fare, just as the 30% is off of the base price. So if the cruise fare is $4000, I was expecting a discount of $2000, not $1760, which is what you get if you apply one discount to the already discounted price.

2 minutes ago, julig22 said:

That wasn't my issue.  It was my understanding that the 20% was off of the base fare, just as the 30% is off of the base price. So if the cruise fare is $4000, I was expecting a discount of $2000, not $1760, which is what you get if you apply one discount to the already discounted price.

For me, they deducted the 25% FCC before applying the 30% and the 20%, so it wasn't 50% off the base fare. I wish they did mine the way they apparently did Freckles.  Strange.

9 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Yeah, exactly. I also think, limiting the use of the FCC to only 1 year is an insult and could easily have been extended to the end of 2021, at the very least.  I think I'll probably be "eating" the 3K that I rec'd in the form of an FCC since I cancelled the cruise before NCL did.  My bad, oh well, live n learn. 

I think that you can use the FCC for any cruise until December 31, 2022 but you have to book with it and apply to a booking within one year of the date the credit was issued.

20 hours ago, adam_s_allen said:

So I just did a mock booking logged into my account and one not logged into my account. The 20% off only applies to guest 1 and it's only off of the base fare. What a crap deal.

My Husband and I were given this offer due to our 29 March cruise cancelling. We rebooked for October 2020  🤞 and each received the 20% off. When you do a mock booking make sure to add the 2nd guest info. If they are entitled to a discount they will get it. 

The prices are artificially inflated now.  You should not be enticed by this stupid 20% off.  It's a trick.  The prices they're charging now are WAAAAAAAAAY higher than they will be on the open market when everything gets going again.

Supply will be high, demand will be low.... in fact, lower than you've ever seen.  The world is freaked out about cruising right now (especially elderly people), and that ain't going away any time soon.

They are trying to avoid giving cash refunds, so they're trying to entice people with inflated FCCs and fake discounts, and hoping nobody notices that the prices are insane and not representative of what the true prices will be when the cruise market resumes.

In short:  Either take the cash, or take the FCC and wait until cruising starts up again before booking anything.

• Like 3

On 3/27/2020 at 12:38 PM, All-ready2cruise said:

My FCC on my account states I must use it prior to 1year from  the date I cancelled, so, Mar. 16th 2021, not Dec. 2022. 

That just refers to applying it to a cruise booking, a cruise that must sail by Dec 2022.  So there are two dates, the one year from cruise cancel date to use/apply the FCC and the sail by date being Dec 2022.

I'm reading now that if you take the cash, the 20% maybe off the board - it's on the form.  Not the terms of the letter I got - there was no tie-in to FCC and 20%.

I did a mock booking and it automatically applied the 20% but when I got to the payment page, it says "Enjoy 20% off your cruise fare discount already applied.  Use your future cruise credit to lock it in"

Anybody booked using the 20% and requesting cash refund?

1 hour ago, poffles said:

That just refers to applying it to a cruise booking, a cruise that must sail by Dec 2022.  So there are two dates, the one year from cruise cancel date to use/apply the FCC and the sail by date being Dec 2022.

Thanks phillyguy and proffles... 3rd time is the charm, at least for me.  I decided to call again after being denied twice and got a lovely agent who knew exactly what needed to be done in order to use my FCC.  I wanted to make sure that I maintained the same stateroom for both cruises, no problem! Even got the new promo for all 4 FAS promos added. 

So now... bottom line, I have a B2B, total of 26 days booked for next April and owe just over $1300 USD.  I am over the moon. 

Thanks so much for pushing me in the right direction... not an easy feat for sure, lol. 

Cheers 🥂

• Like 2

On 3/28/2020 at 8:32 AM, pokerpro5 said:

The prices are artificially inflated now.  You should not be enticed by this stupid 20% off.  It's a trick.  The prices they're charging now are WAAAAAAAAAY higher than they will be on the open market when everything gets going again.

Supply will be high, demand will be low.... in fact, lower than you've ever seen.  The world is freaked out about cruising right now (especially elderly people), and that ain't going away any time soon.

They are trying to avoid giving cash refunds, so they're trying to entice people with inflated FCCs and fake discounts, and hoping nobody notices that the prices are insane and not representative of what the true prices will be when the cruise market resumes.

In short:  Either take the cash, or take the FCC and wait until cruising starts up again before booking anything.

I fully understand that prices are way overinflated, which is why I wouldn't book a sailing that is past final payment. We are looking at booking a January or February 2021 sailing, which would give us plenty of time to cancel/rebook when prices drop before final payment.

8 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I fully understand that prices are way overinflated, which is why I wouldn't book a sailing that is past final payment. We are looking at booking a January or February 2021 sailing, which would give us plenty of time to cancel/rebook when prices drop before final payment.

I think that is the bottom line.  Don't book anything that is departing soon (e.g. before September) unless you want to be at the mercy of whichever cruise line you choose.  With NCL they give you 100% refund if you book before final payment so completely agree with what you are saying here.  If you are someone more 'daring', then by all means, book earlier.   But if you do and are just given credit, can't wait to read your posts when you are mad that you didn't get a refund, lol.

I have a sizeable FCC due to my cancelling a Haven suite.  But, I chose to cancel under the PoM right before NCL cancelled March cruises...so I didn't get the 'best' deal as I had no option for cash refund nor the FCC top up, but I made the decision given the options and risks at the time.

I'm thinking of stretching the credit out as much as I can...thinking of 2 regular cruises vs. 1 Haven cruise, but still not decided.  

I would not cruise before October, and that is with what I know now, LOL

Does anyone have a screenshot of what the Future Cruise Credit should look like on the My Account page? Same for the 20% off promo in the booking flow. Norwegian just cancelled my April cruise and I don't see either, but would like to know what I should be on the lookout for. I also booked this cancelled cruise using $500 worth of CruiseNext Deposits and see that they issued some odd refund of $84.93 under my "My Coupons and Credits" section. Hopefully this all resolves itself over the next couple weeks but knowing NCL's systems I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: Just realized that $84.93 is the exact amount that I paid to upgrade my internet package from the free 250 minute perk to unlimited. I was under the impression that add-ons like that would be refunded to my credit card, and not sure why that would appear as a CruiseNext Deposit.

Edited by cksv

4 minutes ago, cksv said:

Does anyone have a screenshot of what the Future Cruise Credit should look like on the My Account page? Same for the 20% off promo in the booking flow. Norwegian just cancelled my April cruise and I don't see either, but would like to know what I should be on the lookout for. I also booked this cancelled cruise using $500 worth of CruiseNext Deposits and see that they issued some odd refund of $84.93 under my "My Coupons and Credits" section. Hopefully this all resolves itself over the next couple weeks but knowing NCL's systems I'm not holding my breath.

image.png.5cda18edda0e1886a8b64c5b26b2f20f.png

• Like 1

Thank you! This is what I currently see, so looks like I just need to be patient and wait for the "100% Future Cruise Credit" and "25% FCC Credit" items to post to my account.

Screen_Shot_2020-03-30_at_3_53_31_PM.png.911a4a26feb8980e3d21e545a047a079.png

10 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I've heard that from a number of people I've advised not to book now.  On the surface, what you're saying seems logical.

However, I still advise against doing so because you will get some super-bargains AFTER final payment date once they start cruising again.  The prices will fall back to the "new normal" when they start operating again (not sure what that will be), and then when the ships don't fill (which they won't, due to a huge decline in interest in cruising), there will be bargains available, perhaps better than you've ever seen.

So you don't want to be one of those people who pays "regular" prices prior to final payment, even if you get them adjusted down from where they are now!

Here's how I foresee the pricing pattern:

- Prices will NOT be particularly good for the first few months of cruises, as people will be spending their FCCs, thus demand will be artificially high.  (It is possible that they will still lower as it gets closer to sailing time, though, and the ships don't fill.)

- After a lot of the FCCs get burned and the cruise addicts get their fix, the demand for bookings will be very low, due to the overall lack of interest in cruising.  However, they will not lower prices to bargain levels until at least the "50% penalty" phase after final payment date.

- Prices will drop big time starting at the "50% penalty" day after final payment for each cruise.  Huge bargains will be had here.  It is possible they will try to stuff these bargains on inside cabins only, and simply upgrade existing bookings to oceanview and higher, in order to force those who want better than an inside to pay normal prices.  (This is what they've been doing for years with suites, which they hate discounting, because they don't want to ever establish a pattern where people wait to buy them and get a bargain.)

7 minutes ago, cksv said:

The FCC in the screenshot is from a March 20 cruise and only showed up about a week ago.  I think the new letters say April 1 (had one booked in that timeline as well). The 20% shows up in the pricing if you book on-line - seems like I had to try it twice before it showed up.  And FYI, the FCC goes back to each person on the booking, not the person who booked.  Any CN certificates will go back to the appropriate account (and deducted from the FCC for that person).  The 20% is off of the already "discounted" 30% price.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, julig22 said:

The FCC in the screenshot is from a March 20 cruise and only showed up about a week ago.  I think the new letters say April 1 (had one booked in that timeline as well). The 20% shows up in the pricing if you book on-line - seems like I had to try it twice before it showed up.  And FYI, the FCC goes back to each person on the booking, not the person who booked.  Any CN certificates will go back to the appropriate account (and deducted from the FCC for that person).  The 20% is off of the already "discounted" 30% price.

Hmm but I'm not getting that additional 20% off. If I understand you correctly, in this example this August 2nd cruise on the Breakaway in a Haven Spa Suite retails for $4,599 a person - 30% off (which anyone can get) = $3,219. On top of that I should also be seeing an additional $643 (20% off) that $3,219 for a total of $2,575 a person, but I'm not.

Thanks for all that info though, that's very helpful!

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 4.13.25 PM.png

2 minutes ago, cksv said:

Hmm but I'm not getting that additional 20% off. If I understand you correctly, in this example this August 2nd cruise on the Breakaway in a Haven Spa Suite retails for $4,599 a person - 30% off (which anyone can get) = $3,219. On top of that I should also be seeing an additional $643 (20% off) that $3,219 for a total of $2,575 a person, but I'm not.

Thanks for all that info though, that's very helpful!

You might have to wait until the FCC is posted.  I don't remember if I tried to do anything before I had the FCC.  I do know that the first time it didn't work, but was there the next time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, julig22 said:

You might have to wait until the FCC is posted.  I don't remember if I tried to do anything before I had the FCC.  I do know that the first time it didn't work, but was there the next time.

Thanks, I bet you're right. I'll try again in a few days and hopefully they'll be all caught up by then.

11 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

You both make good points, and pricing does seem higher (although they're throwing in OBC now) than before COVID-19 hit and with plenty of inventory still available. What if someone was to book a cruise within the final payment window and if pricing drops closer to the sailing, cancel it under the "Peace of Mind" policy? I assume you'd be able to do that and then turn around right away and re-book at the lower price. Of course that only applies to cruises sailing before September 30, 2020 but seems like something that would work for those of us who are itching to cruise as soon as the restrictions are lifted.

Edited by cksv

21 minutes ago, Freckles_51 said:

If you mean to cancel, and then rebook the same sailing, they do not allow that. It’s in the FAQs on NCL web site.

Ah you're right, thanks for pointing that out.

Q: Can the future cruise credit (FCC) be used as payment towards the same cancelled cruise if they decide at a later date to sail?
A: No. The 48-hour prior to sailing cancellation window provides Peace of Mind allowing you to defer decisions to a later date and therefore the cancelled cruise may not be re-booked using the FCC.

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence

I guess that means I'll probably wait until within a few weeks of the cruise to book it for the best deal. Thank goodness for Southwest's flexible cancellation policy!

Edited by cksv

Interesting - just received email from NCL saying that I'll now be given FCC for the travel protection I bought from NCL!  (that was formerly not included in the FCC 'refund').  I'll take it!

"After receiving your feedback and to display our commitment to delivering exceptional experiences at sea along with our partnership with AON and Nationwide, we will be making changes as it pertains to the travel protection component of the offers we presented to affected guests.

If you canceled your reservation under our Peace of Mind policy and you had purchased our Book Safe Standard or Platinum travel protection plan you will receive an additional future cruise credit, worth the value of your travel protection plan. This future cruise credit is valid for one year from issued date and applicable towards all published sailings through December 31, 2022."

Edited by GettotheSun
  • Like 1