Annoucment delay until monday

shof515

I'm just annoyed at how Carnival puts out these "announcements ". I don't do FB or instagram. I think they should put something on the web site or some type of mass email to all the cruisers with sailings in the next month or so - even if it's just to tell us their announcement is delayed. If it weren't for reading CC, I would still be looking for the announcement today. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Who would get on a ship now knowing if there was a single case of coronavirus onboard, or maybe even if there wasn't, they would end up getting stuck in quarantine for 14 days?

I think there are a lot of people who would. Maybe not smart, but I don’t think hose ships would be empty.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

Tough situation for Carnival. I don’t know the details of their finances, but if canceling another month would put them in serious jeopardy of going under, 

Carnival Corp CEO has already hinted that all cruises through the end of the year may be cancelled, and that financially, this would be doable.

I think the delay could be related to the Stimulus/Relief package. They said they don’t need a bailout but may have included low interest loans from the package as part of their long term plan. It looks like cruise lines are no longer included in the package as expected so now they need to figure out a way to get the benefit or make a new plan. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruiselover** said:

I am really frustrated that Carnival is postponing their announcement.  My husband and I have the Carnival Magic booked for April 25, 2020 and I have been on pins and needles waiting to hear if the cruise is cancelled or not.  We can cancel by March 31st and get a full refund based on the information Carnival sent us earlier this month.  I was hoping to find out today that onboard credit was going to be offered along with the refund for another cruise.  I can't stand the idea of waiting yet another few days!

We were supposed to be on the same cruise and are in the same place that you are.  I am really disappointed they didn't let us know today so that we can make/adjust plans.

4 minutes ago, cruisecrazy82 said:

Can you elaborate on this? 

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Carnival-CEO-talks-coronavirus-crisis-on-HBO-show

I wouldn't say that he hinted that cruises would be cancelled through the end of the year.  It was more about the need for money from the stimulus and if CCL can make it without it.  He said they have to plan as if cruises will be cancelled through the end of the year.  That means they are putting plans in place for financing just in case it does.  

• Like 2

I would say even very conservatively the math does not look good now.

Currently, according to John Hopkins, about 0.000284% of the US population has it. (92,932 infections @ 327 Million Population)  This infection number is probably closer to 0.0005% since testing is still quite inadequate.  So let's say with a very conservative expansion of current numbers, there are 0.00010% or 32,700 cases not identified right now.

So a ship like Carnival Vista with say about 4200 pax and crew on board, Capacity is 5384.. With a 0.0001% Infection Rate.
It would mean a potential of 0.42 passengers on each sailing may be carrying COVID19. The odds are by the time you have just four sailings, at least one sailing will likely have someone spreading the infection.   I suppose Carnival can roll the dice, and hope that the infection is not discovered.  Feel free to challenge me on my math, it's not my strong suit.

Carnival is probably getting boxed in with more ports closed to cruise ships.  Home ports may apply their Shelter-In-Place rules to those trying to get on a cruise ship.  The federal government may issue a cease to this non-essential travel.

3 hours ago, kicia said:

I'm sure there are a lot of logistics to deal with.  Legend cruises are not available until 11/15/20, so all Europe cruises will probably be cancelled.  Radiance sailings are gone until 11/8/2020.  Mardi Gras not available until 3/27/21.  I haven't checked everything so there are probably more.  Will Carnival ships be deployed as floating medical centers?  If so, for how long?  Still lots of unanswered questions that Carnival has to work on.  Wish Monday would get here soon.

Yes me too

Out of Australia news:

Carnival Australia posted the following update on their Facebook page:

“Today, Carnival Cruise Line is taking the preventative measure of extending its voluntary suspension of all Australian sailings until 15 May 2020. The decision has been made after discussions with the Australian government and in support of COVID-19 management and containment efforts across Australia and the destinations we visit.

Our President Christine Duffy, wanted to share these words with our Aussie guests, “The impact of COVID-19 is affecting business and personal routines around the world. We understand it is not ideal to have your cruise holiday postponed; however, we all have a role to play in stopping the spread of this virus during this unprecedented time. We will get through these tough times together and look forward to welcoming you back onboard again soon, when the time is right.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Carnival-CEO-talks-coronavirus-crisis-on-HBO-show

I wouldn't say that he hinted that cruises would be cancelled through the end of the year.  It was more about the need for money from the stimulus and if CCL can make it without it.  He said they have to plan as if cruises will be cancelled through the end of the year.  That means they are putting plans in place for financing just in case it does.  

I dunno, it did seem like some pretty broad hints were in there about end of the year. I don’t really get the announcement delay, though. The online booking calendar has been updated, the Cruise Director calendar has been updated, etc. it’s no big secret that they are going to extend the shutdown. 

3 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Personally, I'm hanging tight.  Carnival's offers were only for cancelled cruises.  Since cruises after April 9 have not officially been cancelled (announced), then you will likely incur cancellation fees if you cancel before an announcement.  Below is the current cancellation policy:

https://www.carnival.com/health-and-sailing-updates

I'm with you

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nessa55 said:

I'm with you

I’m Canadian booked on magic apr 19. I called the other day and asked for a refund since the borders are closed. They submitted a refund request based on the fact that the Canada us border will still be closed then. No argument. When I said it was pretty much a given that my cruise would be cancelled anyway she agreed. Said it would take about 10 days for a refund to be issued.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nessa55 said:

So true and unless and until there is an actual proven vaccine, none of us should be thinking of any kind of vacation although God knows I a more than ready for one but I will be just as ready when this is all over. We have to just be patient and follow the steps laid out for us right now,

Yes we just need people to use common sense in this unprecedented time. We will all need a vacation when Covid-19 is under control.

Until that time everyone needs to relax , take a breath and do best as we can. Is it fun, no, No and NO.

I know this is frustrating, I would like to know the status of our upcoming Memorial week cruise also.

My take away from today's video, in corporate speak,  is that they are giving their managers a chance to inform employees today of the decisions directly impacting them, then they will release it to the public on the next business day.  This way employees don't hear it from the media first.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Carnival Corp CEO has already hinted that all cruises through the end of the year may be cancelled, and that financially, this would be doable.

3 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

I agree with Liljo22. He wasn't hinting that it may happen. He said the company is financially prepared for it IF that happens. Worst case scenario. They're preparing for the worst.

Hypothetically, even if it were true, I don't believe they'd ever hint that to the public, especially with nine months left in the year, because they know their stock would plummet (worse than it did) and it'd create a PR nightmare. Context is key and there's a lot of misinformation floating around because people are misinterpreting some of these statements. Then when you have other users who say things like, "It's been verified by other sources," that misinformation propagates. What has been verified? That he hinted they may be shut down all year? If that's what you're saying, where's these other sources?

I think it's important not to forget that just a few short weeks ago, a majority of people on this forum were telling everyone that it was no big deal and they'd get testy with anyone who thought it was. At that time, they kept comparing it to the death rate of the flu, ad nauseam, in an attempt to support their claim that it wasn't a big deal. Now, none of them say those things and they've done a complete 180. Now, they get equally as testy with anyone who doesn't share their message of doom & gloom. As I said in an earlier post, this situation is changing every day. I truly believe some people need to step back and take a deep breath before screaming that the sky is falling. Yes, this is most certainly a serious issue, but the over-speculating and misinformation is getting out of hand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are booked on the Breeze for April 18th.  It sounds like we won't be going and I'm not upset.  I wish they had made their announcement today though.  We are also booked on the Mardi Gras for Dec. 5th.  It sounds like that we won't be going on that one also.  I wonder if the ship yard is closed?  We have a Holland-America cruise for March 2021.  I hope that one sails as  it does a Bucket List item, the Panama Canal.  I guess I'll hold my breath until Monday and keep reading these great boards!

So far this has gotten way off topic. It Is about the announcement being postponed until Monday not speculation about why it was postponed or speculating on the virus itself or the HAL ship.

PLEASE, please stay on topic-- this is a difficult time for all and arguing and spreading misinformation don't help anything. There is a thread on Holland America re the Zaandam

• Like 1