Annoucment delay until monday

shof515

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

It's easy for people to say it's not a big deal if they don't have an April cruise booked.  We saw what happened to the last few cruises.  People got turned away at the port because they implemented new health requirements.  People arrived at ports after Carnival knew they had cancelled cruises.  Maybe the people with cruises booked in April think Carnival could have made decisions about the April cruises on the day they told people they would.

Nobody is holding up a pitchfork.  People are wondering why other cruise lines were able to make these decisions, yet Carnival continues to lag behind.  I love taking Carnival cruises, but that doesn't mean I think every decision they make is a good one. 

I'll start by saying I, too, enjoy taking Carnival cruises and I've made it abundantly clear on this forum that I'll criticize Carnival when I feel they deserve it. This isn't one of those instances. You realize that my "torches & pitchfork" comment is just an expression, right? Have you read all the anger that's being posted in this thread alone? All because they decided to delay an announcement THREE days...one weekend. If you ask me, that expression is quite fitting of some of the reactions. You yourself used the example of people who have lost their jobs and need the refund from their cancelled cruise. I have people very close to me who have been financially hurt by this, so I feel their pain, but I'm sorry, this three day delay isn't going to make much of a difference for anyone in the situation you described.

User lensonlife spoke of the emotional, physical, and financial stress inflicted on Carnival customers because they're not getting the announcement three days sooner. Seriously? Think about the financial stress that this whole situation puts on these businesses. Like I said before, they have HUGE decisions to make that have massive implications on their businesses. This entire situation changes regularly. New statements and reports come out from different organizations and government entities. Whatever their reason, Carnival wanted to take the weekend before saying what they have to say. I understand the frustration, I never said I didn't, but I personally don't think it's worthy of the more extreme reactions.

Since you said it's easy for those of us who don't have April cruises booked to say it's no big deal, I'll do something that I do quite often in my life. I'll put myself in someone else's shoes and ask myself how it makes me feel. After all, I'm pretty sure I know me better than you know me. First I'll say that if we could swing a cruise in the next few months, we'd love to take advantage of some of these prices. But we just got back from one, so as it is now, our next is booked for January. If I had a cruise in April...yes, I'd want to know what's going to happen, but I wouldn't be angered by Carnival's decision to delay the announcement for one weekend. For one, because it's only a few days. It'd probably frustrate me and make me feel impatient, but I wouldn't throw a fit. Also, as I've already said, I understand how quickly this situation changes on a regular basis. Maybe they're waiting for something important to come through, I don't know. I believe that there's probably a good reason for the delay and it isn't just to tick off a bunch of people on Cruise Critic.

We drive to our cruises, so we often leave home two days before embarkation day when sailing out of south Florida. We would take responsibility into our own hands and do everything in our power to ensure the cruise hasn't been cancelled. Our first move would be to call our PVP...and call him often in the days leading up to the start of our trip. We'd continue to call him while we're driving to the home port, because if cancellation were to happen, the sooner we found out, the better. This cruise forum is a great source of information, but in a situation as important as that, don't just use a cruise forum. But none of that matters because that's not what's happening here. You kept talking about people who got all the way to the port only to find out their cruise was cancelled. Yeah, I'd be mad if Carnival didn't notify me sooner, but that's not why everyone in this thread is so angry. As far as we know, this three day delayed announcement isn't putting anyone in that predicament, so it's a moot point.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Mary49 said:

I just cancelled my Radiance cruise for June 29th before Carnival decided to cancel.  I just put down a deposit and they said I will get $50 on my next cruise.  However, since they cancelled anyway shouldnt I get the full refund back?  Thanks for the info.

They also haven’t technically cancelled yet. We know it’s coming, but I’m also scheduled to sail on the 6/29 Radiance and according to Carnival I’m still sailing 😫. I won’t be canceling as I am hopeful to get the most OBC with FCC possible (as I’m paid in full). We will see what they have to offer. 

15 minutes ago, Mary49 said:

I just cancelled my Radiance cruise for June 29th before Carnival decided to cancel.  I just put down a deposit and they said I will get $50 on my next cruise.  However, since they cancelled anyway shouldnt I get the full refund back?  Thanks for the info.

Most likely not.

You played the game of chicken against Carnival and lost.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 11:20 AM, loohoo1 said:

With the current cancellation policy (I can't keep up!), would I be able to get a full refund to my cc for a cruise booked for 5/9 if I cancel today? 

I really don't want OBC for a future cruise. I can't imagine getting on a cruise ship again until there aren't any COVID cases worldwide for at least several months. When that happens, I'll be roaring to go!

Thanks!

Our May 11th scheduled cruise shows a $579 cancellation fee as of now

9 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I'll start by saying I, too, enjoy taking Carnival cruises and I've made it abundantly clear on this forum that I'll criticize Carnival when I feel they deserve it. This isn't one of those instances. You realize that my "torches & pitchfork" comment is just an expression, right? Have you read all the anger that's being posted in this thread alone? All because they decided to delay an announcement THREE days...one weekend. If you ask me, that expression is quite fitting of some of the reactions. You yourself used the example of people who have lost their jobs and need the refund from their cancelled cruise. I have people very close to me who have been financially hurt by this, so I feel their pain, but I'm sorry, this three day delay isn't going to make much of a difference for anyone in the situation you described.

User lensonlife spoke of the emotional, physical, and financial stress inflicted on Carnival customers because they're not getting the announcement three days sooner. Seriously? Think about the financial stress that this whole situation puts on these businesses. Like I said before, they have HUGE decisions to make that have massive implications on their businesses. This entire situation changes regularly. New statements and reports come out from different organizations and government entities. Whatever their reason, Carnival wanted to take the weekend before saying what they have to say. I understand the frustration, I never said I didn't, but I personally don't think it's worthy of the more extreme reactions.

Since you said it's easy for those of us who don't have April cruises booked to say it's no big deal, I'll do something that I do quite often in my life. I'll put myself in someone else's shoes and ask myself how it makes me feel. After all, I'm pretty sure I know me better than you know me. First I'll say that if we could swing a cruise in the next few months, we'd love to take advantage of some of these prices. But we just got back from one, so as it is now, our next is booked for January. If I had a cruise in April...yes, I'd want to know what's going to happen, but I wouldn't be angered by Carnival's decision to delay the announcement for one weekend. For one, because it's only a few days. It'd probably frustrate me and make me feel impatient, but I wouldn't throw a fit. Also, as I've already said, I understand how quickly this situation changes on a regular basis. Maybe they're waiting for something important to come through, I don't know. I believe that there's probably a good reason for the delay and it isn't just to tick off a bunch of people on Cruise Critic.

We drive to our cruises, so we often leave home two days before embarkation day when sailing out of south Florida. We would take responsibility into our own hands and do everything in our power to ensure the cruise hasn't been cancelled. Our first move would be to call our PVP...and call him often in the days leading up to the start of our trip. We'd continue to call him while we're driving to the home port, because if cancellation were to happen, the sooner we found out, the better. This cruise forum is a great source of information, but in a situation as important as that, don't just use a cruise forum. But none of that matters because that's not what's happening here. You kept talking about people who got all the way to the port only to find out their cruise was cancelled. Yeah, I'd be mad if Carnival didn't notify me sooner, but that's not why everyone in this thread is so angry. As far as we know, this three day delayed announcement isn't putting anyone in that predicament, so it's a moot point.

I just want to clarify that I was never specifically speaking about Carnival needing another 3 days to make an announcement (although I realize it was on a thread titled as much so I own accountability for that). That said, I personally think I was clear in my communication in stating an example in which I feel that they could have been better and more forthcoming with communication- where great numbers of customers very likely did encounter emotional, physical, and financial stress. It’s also fine if we agree to disagree on the matter. And I’m not at all angry- it takes a lot more than this to make me angry.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Disney Cruise Line may have adopted a similar policy to Walt Disney World: closed until further notice. As of now, WDW is accepting reservation for dates of June 1 and later but they are tentative and not guaranteed to open on that date.

Not sure though... haven’t been following DCL.

They may get to WDW's policy, but they haven't done it yet.  DCL has only canceled their cruises through April 12 according to their March 20 update.  Source:  https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/advisory/ .  I assume the link will change when they update their policy, which I expect soon.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

1 minute ago, Honolulu Blue said:

They may get to WDW's policy, but they haven't done it yet.  DCL has only canceled their cruises through April 12 according to March 20's update.  Source:  https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/advisory/ .  I assume the link will change when they update their policy, which I expect soon.

Good to know.

4 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

Most of those are self explanatory though. Europe wont allow cruises until late fall or winter. 

The radiance hasn't been refurbished or named the radiance yet if the port doesnt allow the work to get done it's kinda hard to redo the ship.

The Mardi Gras has another setback in work due to the virus as well. You have to be able to work on the ship for it to get done.

Where did u see that on Europe cruises?

Yes.... we are scheduled to leave for our cruise next week! That stings to say since we all know it isn’t going to happen....but it hasn’t been officially canceled yet. 

I’m just hopeful we get a similar offer to what the folks on the previously-canceled cruises received. I’m happy to let them keep my money.....would prefer it actually.... but let’s keep the OBC going.

We have a big family with kids that play a ton of sports. Carving out the time to do vacations while missing the least amount of activities and work is extremely challenging....that’s why the loss of this spring break cruise really stinks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lensonlife said:

I just want to clarify that I was never specifically speaking about Carnival needing another 3 days to make an announcement (although I realize it was on a thread titled as much so I own accountability for that). That said, I personally think I was clear in my communication in stating an example in which I feel that they could have been better and more forthcoming with communication- where great numbers of customers very likely did encounter emotional, physical, and financial stress. It’s also fine if we agree to disagree on the matter. And I’m not at all angry- it takes a lot more than this to make me angry.

I was just using your comment to point out that we, as customers, aren't the only ones who are experiencing financial strain and stress. Yeah, many of these cruise lines are huge corporations that can withstand some heavy hits, so to speak, but they (meaning the people within them) aren't immune to the same feelings of stress and financial worry. Despite what some people think, I am able to sympathize with those who are waiting for word about their cruise. Especially those who have their final payment dates next week. I can't say it enough...I'm not speaking out again people who are frustrated and feeling impatient. They have every right to feel that way. All I've been saying is that I think the anger is unwarranted. We're in uncharted waters here, no pun intended.  Some things can't be done as easily or as simply as they normally could.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Hotels and airlines are being very, very flexible right now. So those shouldn't be a worry. I've just dealt with that situation on a land vacation.

They were probably easier to deal with than the cruiselines are right now,

Within 3 days I received a credit from airlines ( 6 months to book another flight and until the end of year to fly)

Hotel credited my CC in 5 days of cancelling.

Unfotunately the cruise lines seem to be holding the cards right now. You will get an offer on your cancelled cruise when they figure it out.

DOT requires airline refunds are processed within 7 business days if you are actually owed one. Hotels and cruise lines do not have any DOT regulations regarding length of time to process which is why some are quoting 90 days. For hotels, it’s usually easier to cancel the reservation right then and there and process a refund for any advance deposits taken as most reservations are not prepaid (unless reserved through a third party). 

From DOT (aviation refunds only):

If a passenger is owed a refund, an airline, travel agent, or online travel agency must process it within seven business days if the passenger paid by credit card, and 20 business days if the passenger paid by cash or check.

https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/refunds 

Edited by xDisconnections

I think perspective is needed here.

Yes, people’s vacation plans are uncertain now. Concerns about cancellations, refunds, FCC, airline and hotel reservations needing to be cancelled, coordinating calendars wth family,y or friends for future travel etc  are very real to those needing to make decisions based on Carnival’s announcement.

But, consider a wider  view of the affect of this virus.

One of our niece’s husband lost his job last Friday. They have an infant daughter and a three year old son. They have a mortgage. She is on paid maternity leave,thankfully ,with benefits intact. The baby’s Christening has been postponed.

A friend’s daughter has had her May wedding postponed until August - hopefully.

My Goddaughter’s job is in jeopardy as she is an interior decorator for a firm in NYC. Clients have been cancelling or postponing projects they had with the firm. No one is calling with new business. She is trying to plan for a late September wedding ,which hopefully will take place.

Our community just lost a very respected member to the Corovi-19 illness. He was an much loved family man, Air Force veteran and volunteer firefighter who was about to be recognized for his 50years of service. He is to be buried in a National Cemetary where the family is not allowed to attend his burial. The fire company will transport his casket to the cemetery, going past his home where his wife of 62years can bid him goodbye.

None of these people are complaining about their lives at the moment. They are accepting their situations, making plans and coming to grips with the turn their lives have taken. Are they sad, concerned, upset? Of course. But,not one that I have spoken to are angry. 

Some lost money spent for a vacation or disappointment over a missed cruise pales by comparison to what I have detailed. The affects of the virus that I have posted is just a small glimpse into what is affecting families and people all over our country and the world. 

Have patience,you will hear the Carnival statement soon.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

I think perspective is needed here.

Yes, people’s vacation plans are uncertain now. Concerns about cancellations, refunds, FCC, airline and hotel reservations needing to be cancelled, coordinating calendars wth family,y or friends for future travel etc  are very real to those needing to make decisions based on Carnival’s announcement.

But, consider a wider  view of the affect of this virus.

One of our niece’s husband lost his job last Friday. They have an infant daughter and a three year old son. They have a mortgage. She is on paid maternity leave,thankfully ,with benefits intact. The baby’s Christening has been postponed.

A friend’s daughter has had her May wedding postponed until August - hopefully.

My Goddaughter’s job is in jeopardy as she is an interior decorator for a firm in NYC. Clients have been cancelling or postponing projects they had with the firm. No one is calling with new business. She is trying to plan for a late September wedding ,which hopefully will take place.

Our community just lost a very respected member to the Corovi-19 illness. He was an much loved family man, Air Force veteran and volunteer firefighter who was about to be recognized for his 50years of service. He is to be buried in a National Cemetary where the family is not allowed to attend his burial. The fire company will transport his casket to the cemetery, going past his home where his wife of 62years can bid him goodbye.

None of these people are complaining about their lives at the moment. They are accepting their situations, making plans and coming to grips with the turn their lives have taken. Are they sad, concerned, upset? Of course. But,not one that I have spoken to are angry. 

Some lost money spent for a vacation or disappointment over a missed cruise pales by comparison to what I have detailed. The affects of the virus that I have posted is just a small glimpse into what is affecting families and people all over our country and the world. 

Have patience,you will hear the Carnival statement soon.

This is incredibly profound, and well-put. I understand that this pandemic is much greater than anything we are grappling about here and I don’t think anyone has ill-intentions. Crises often create a level of worry, fear and panic- and not everyone responds to that in equal ways. I work for state government and with vulnerable populations, often at the front lines of crisis, and am very sensitive to how this situation is impacting individuals, families and systems at all levels. Thank you for your insight. Thoughts and prayers for you and yours. Take care. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

I was just using your comment to point out that we, as customers, aren't the only ones who are experiencing financial strain and stress. Yeah, many of these cruise lines are huge corporations that can withstand some heavy hits, so to speak, but they (meaning the people within them) aren't immune to the same feelings of stress and financial worry. Despite what some people think, I am able to sympathize with those who are waiting for word about their cruise. Especially those who have their final payment dates next week. I can't say it enough...I'm not speaking out again people who are frustrated and feeling impatient. They have every right to feel that way. All I've been saying is that I think the anger is unwarranted. We're in uncharted waters here, no pun intended.  Some things can't be done as easily or as simply as they normally could.

It’s all good. I understand- I only needed you to know that I was not ‘complaining’ about the 3 days so much as the lag (which has not been specific to these 3 days). I do really feel that Carnival should let people know as soon as they’ve made a decision- that’s all I was trying to say. These 3 days does not change anything for me personally. Am I disappointed that I’m not going to be able to go on a vacation? Sure! Am I disappointed with Carnival? NO! At this point, I don’t even think I’m going to try and rebook for this summer- too concerning giving the state of everything (unless things quickly and significantly turn around and that’s doubtful). Maybe we’ll drive the 6 hours to Bar Harbor. I also was following your recent vacation, so I knew you drove and elected to drive straight back through to home which was a LONG jaunt (and not one I would do)! That said, I realize you are not without financial implications- not that it matters. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

DOT requires airline refunds are processed within 7 business days if you are actually owed one. Hotels and cruise lines do not have any DOT regulations regarding length of time to process which is why some are quoting 90 days. For hotels, it’s usually easier to cancel the reservation right then and there and process a refund for any advance deposits taken as most reservations are not prepaid (unless reserved through a third party). 

From DOT (aviation refunds only):

If a passenger is owed a refund, an airline, travel agent, or online travel agency must process it within seven business days if the passenger paid by credit card, and 20 business days if the passenger paid by cash or check.

https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/refunds 

Ok here's another example of the hotel i cancelled. Large chain that I purchased a pre-pay  rate (no cancellation).  Yes it saved me a decent amount.

They are letting me cancel my June  booking up to April 30th. After talking with them they anticipate this being extended.

Did they have to waive the no cancellation-No, they did it because they know it's the right way to do it. That's why I stated many chains are being very, very flexible.

• Like 2

Perspective can be used for any situation.  There are always tragedies happening, but it doesn't mean we should stop living and should not be upset about anything because bad things are happening.  In the past three weeks someone I knew was murdered, another has a mother in hospice, and another just shaved her head and started intensive chemo.  Those are all horrible things.  Put in perspective, I should never be upset about anything.  But we are human beings with emotions.  It's ok to be upset about something that isn't life or death.  It's ok to have feelings about minor things, even though there is always something worse happening in the world.  Actually, focusing on minor things often helps people deal with major things.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Ok here's another example of the hotel i cancelled. Large chain that I purchased a pre-pay  rate (no cancellation).  Yes it saved me a decent amount.

They are letting me cancel my June  booking up to April 30th. After talking with them they anticipate this being extended.

Did they have to waive the no cancellation-No, they did it because they know it's the right way to do it. That's why I stated many chains are being very, very flexible.

April 30? Sounds like Marriott.

From my experience, up until the updated waiver program on March 15, they weren't being so accommodating on the prepaids.

25 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

April 30? Sounds like Marriott.

From my experience, up until the updated waiver program on March 15, they weren't being so accommodating on the prepaids.

Yep

I can rebook at regular rate (Senior or AAA discount) and get rid of the prepay. Pay X amount more or chance the reason I'm traveling is still going to be held (Granddaughters National Dance Competition).

Being Disney has cancelled hotel booking until June, I'm not do sure this epidemic will be over by then.

3 minutes ago, poz222 said:

Got word from a friend onboard they are going to start disembarking some crew (gift shop/entertainment) and sending some home when contracts are up... can’t be a good signal ... 

Didn't they already start doing this with the Carnival Spirit? 

Jacinta acknowledged this a few days ago.

Image may contain: text

Edited by xDisconnections