Changes in Onboard Behavior & Procedures after Cruises restart sailing again...

NavyCruiser

36 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

How do you think cruise lines can cut passenger load by 50% without raising fares?

And then, how would cutting fares for singles work?

And,  having a day in port between sailings would reduce on-board revenue by about 15%.

Why not just suggest government funded free cruises?

I just think until we either develop a vaccine or eradicate this virus, having 5,000 people and 2,500 staff all bunched together on a ship is not feasible .  And I’m suspecting it’ll be more about passengers not booking due to fear than the cruise lines taking initiative .

I don’t think fares will double but do think service will be cut (less staff, small or no buffet, increases costs for things like beverage packages, more pressure to buy photo packages , etc)

And to make sure cruises sail full, they will offer more reasonable fares to singles

You have to believe something will have to change to get people back out

1 hour ago, Roz said:

Huh?  What exact "behaviors" do you think singles engage in that would concern a cruise line? 😳

My comment has nothing to do with specific behavior- rather, it regards 2-4 folks as one measurable unit vs another single unit of health condition at embarkation.

21 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

My comment has nothing to do with specific behavior- rather, it regards 2-4 folks as one measurable unit vs another single unit of health condition at embarkation.

I still don't get it, but thanks for trying to explain.  I hope to have my single "unit" back on a cruise ship eventually.

3 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Here is an easy detail to eliminate: those waiter parades in the dining rooms where people wave their dirty, germ filled cloth napkins into the air. I doubt anyone will miss those, especially the waiters who have to pretend to enjoy it. 

Perhaps going less green might help. Eliminate salt and pepper shakers and ketchup bottles and offer packets. 

Those changes are neither necessary nor sufficient.  If we have an effective vaccine then absolutely no changes are needed.  Without a vaccine there doesn't exist a set of measures that would prevent the spread on a cruise ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Roz said:

I still don't get it, but thanks for trying to explain.  I hope to have my single "unit" back on a cruise ship eventually.

Actually I struggled with how to better explain it.

When you fill out a customs forms, it says "one per family." My thought is along those lines - questioning a family of 2-4 as to where you've been," etc is far more efficient than with a single individual. 

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

My expectation is that cruising will return to what it was in the 80's, a limited, expensive prospect for only the well-heeled. 

Or maybe people who really want to cruise will do one instead of two or three.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Remember, 50% decrease in passengers will mean a doubling of the fare!

This will probably be unpopular, but I could live with that. We don't cruise nearly as often as many folks here, and if we could cruise once or twice a year with more safety and less crowds, that would be fine.

3 hours ago, K32682 said:

My expectation is that cruising will return to what it was in the 80's, a limited, expensive prospect for only the well-heeled. 

37 minutes ago, clo said:

I've enjoyed cruising since the 1970s and my family was not particularly well-heeled; however, travel was something important to us and it was budgeted for by living frugally in other ways.

As a solo I find it difficult to justify the cost of a luxury cruise relative to other forms of travel. I can stay in beautiful hotels and dine in great local restaurants -- and still have money to burn -- versus taking, say, an Oceania cruise of similar length.  

Given that land travel has many advantage for me over cruising, I can't see continuing to cruise if the per person cost rises significantly. I'm perhaps part of a minority who would rather take three trips to different European cities/regions in a year than take one luxury cruise. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Given that land travel has many advantage for me over cruising, I can't see continuing to cruise if the per person cost rises significantly. I'm perhaps part of a minority who would rather take three trips to different European cities/regions in a year than take one luxury cruise. 

We're with you. Our Oceania cruise in December was Rio to Buenos Aires. We loved the ship but if we had it to do over we'd (and maybe will) fly to Rio, spend time and then fly to BA and spend time. And spend not nearly as much. 

In addition to less passengers & crew, no self-serve buffets, longer turnaround times, etc. I think extensive health screenings, temperature checks when getting on and off the ships and some of the restrictions on people of a certain age or with certain health conditions that were started just before the shutdown will continue, at least initially.

As far as cost cutting, I can see some of the ships staying parked for a while when cruising resumes and some being retired or sold. I can also see some of the multiple lines under each parent corporation going away or being merged. Holland America and Princess has the most bad publicity and tend to attract older cruisers who may be restricted from traveling at first. I can see those lines being merged, eliminated or their ships being rebranded under other Carnival Corp lines. Celebrity and Azamara could merge for Royal Caribbean. Oceania and Regent Seven Seas could merge for Norwegian.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Well, the majority of good cruises at the moment are only for such category of people. I mean going on a cruise does not worth a little. Its a minimum 2000-3000$ for a cruise. I mean you can always find one for like 700-1000$ + discounts and etc but it wont be as enjoyable in my opinion. I mean if its your first time cruising every you wont be looking for  cheap cruises. You will try to get the best deal available. In any case I hope we wont go back in times lol 

1 hour ago, clo said:

Likely - because not only will cruises almost necessarily cost more, many people’s perceptions of disposable funds will be tightened. For working people much of their reserves will have been exhausted, and retired people will see a serious down-tick in their IRA’s.  Even without the COVID 19 impact, the securities markets have been ar record heights recently and a correction was close to overdue.

55 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've enjoyed cruising since the 1970s and my family was not particularly well-heeled; however, travel was something important to us and it was budgeted for by living frugally in other ways.

As a solo I find it difficult to justify the cost of a luxury cruise relative to other forms of travel. I can stay in beautiful hotels and dine in great local restaurants -- and still have money to burn -- versus taking, say, an Oceania cruise of similar length.  

I'm with you 100%.  Before this whole virus situation I had been looking at land tour options, and most don't apply punitive single supplements to their prices.  As much as I like cruising, I like travel in general, and would be happy to book a land tour if cruising becomes too expensive and/or onerous - constant temperature checks, swabs being stuck up my nose, doctor appts. prior to leaving to ascertain if my 67 yr. old carcass is fit to travel, etc.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, K32682 said:

If it meant getting rid of floating amusement parks and thundering herds of humanity overrunning desirable/unusual ports in need of far more environmental (and related) cautions, count me in.

As for it being an "expensive" prospect, I disagree. IMO, even premium/luxury lines are a tremendous value when one looks at the "net daily rate" cost for inclusive double occupancy cruising vs land based travel involving similar multiple locations that provide equally desirable high quality accommodations/food/service.

Of course, it might mean fewer cruises for some folks. But, a cruise industry "size correction" right now makes much sense. And the megaships could be taken over by municipalities for use as low income and/or temporary/emergency housing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Even without the COVID 19 impact, the securities markets have been ar record heights recently and a correction was close to overdue.

Yep. We'd been waiting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

As for it being an "expensive" prospect, I disagree. IMO, even premium/luxury lines are a tremendous value when one looks at the "net daily rate" cost for inclusive double occupancy cruising vs land based travel involving similar multiple locations that provide equally desirable high quality accommodations/food/service.

That may be the case for inclusive double occupancy (although I'm sure I could find some comparisons where land travel wins out), but not for solos, except for rare specials.

9 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And the megaships could be taken over by municipalities for use as low income and/or temporary/emergency housing.

Why not simply convert them to Dickensian era prison hulks.  No point in pretending  any real care for people.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

That may be the case for inclusive double occupancy (although I'm sure I could find some comparisons where land travel wins out), but not for solos, except for rare specials.

if 

Agree. In most case, land tours charge solo travelers a supplement of 0-50% if you book standard accommodations.  Standard supplement on cruises is 100%.  If I find something less than that I'm thrilled.

I have read several of these boards, one idea not proposed that I would like to see more of is a more complete room service menu, for breakfast, lunch and dinner... we always book a mini suite.  Do breakfast in our cabin now all the time.  Sometimes on long cruises we have ordered Room Service in afternoon as well, menu limited.  We only eat two meals a day... would do more Room Service meals if more menu options.

7 hours ago, K32682 said:

This. Absolutely this.

Unless everyone in the world gets over themselves very quickly and does their utmost to get back to normal.

But the way people are talking here and on other forums I use, it seems people have forgotten just how good life was.

30 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

This. Absolutely this.

Unless everyone in the world gets over themselves very quickly and does their utmost to get back to normal.

But the way people are talking here and on other forums I use, it seems people have forgotten just how good life was.

I'm sincerely clueless what you're referring to. Until/unless the medical/scientific community figure out what they can and cannot do, IMO, all we can do is march in place, say lots of 'what-if's.' So what is there to "get over"?

Edited by clo

Cruising of any kind is a unique beast.  Hundreds to thousands of people from different places all together in one place, without the ability to leave when one wants to (you can only get off at a port call).  If something goes sideways, it's a massive effort to get people safe, with everyone being relied on to be able to help themselves to a location and even then, be able to help themselves if necessary.  And, if they do get rescued to land, if it is not in their own country, some lately could not safely fly home due to existing circumstances.  This doesn't happen on a land trip - at least none that I have been on.  With that in mind, I am one of the probable few here who would like to get rid of the "self-identify" health statements ("yes, I paid $20,000 for this round the world cruise but I am just getting over the flu and I have a condition which disqualifies me from flying") and require a more rigorous health verification.  People will lie about their health, it happens.  People may have to get used to having to have a health verification done as part of the new norm, especially for long cruises.  It's not discriminatory - it's for the public health.  Some say the 'over 70' thing is ageism.  Nope.  It's a susceptibility issue.  But, it should be a verification for all - I don't think my friend who just finished chemo would be a good candidate for cruising right now with her compromised immune system.