Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
TRAVELBUGCRUISER

Anyone cancelling cruises for late 2020 out of uncertainty?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, justKirbo said:

We did. We're not massive cruisers but we've taken our kids on five DCL and three RCI and adore it. We had a cruise for next April and I canceled it. I know it's an unpopular view, but we can't help but think many cruise lines will be gone by then. So many folks have lost jobs and with that HAL ship still out there, well, it freaks me out, frankly.

 

We had a $1000 deposit with them (for two rooms) and I figured, I can afford to pay a little extra (we got a screaming deal on the fare for our kids' spring break next year) if we decide to rebook it, but with me not working right now, I'd rather have that $1000 in our checking account.

 

I also wanted to get our deposit back before it was too late. I hope they don't all go under, but I honestly can't see how they'll survive.

They will not be able to take part in the stimulus bill.  Really.  Good bet they all all reorganize with a chapter 7 or 11 bankruptcy.  Wipe out all their debt, stay afloat and business as usual.  Let the big banks take the hit and then the big banks will put it all on the fed. When it comes time to start rehiring employees the bean counters will be first on the list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are booked in September but i’m considering cancelling. My perspective is that visiting Honduras and remote Mexico might not be smart.  I anticipate the U.S. will have containment by then but what’s the point in going out if we don’t feel comfortable going ashore?  We love Roatan and Costa Maya is our favorite beach spot because of its remoteness, but going there under this cloud may not be advisable.  Wait and see for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

 

You are probably correct.  What concerns me is the chance of quarantine on a ship.  Look what is happening to the poor individuals on Zaandam.  I know they have to be frightened beyond belief.  I realize I am probably being too careful.  


If they restart sailing with the potential for ship wide quarantines taking place then the ships will be close to empty. Only a hardened few will be willing to risk weeks restricted to their cabin. 

In my opinion, they’ll have to agree another suitable process before sailings recommence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

We have a cruise late September, out of Rome...

 

Wait and see mode, 90% it will be a no go (will cancel right before final payment), baring a break through in vaccine/medicine/due to hot weather....

 

This is our plan as well (only ours is October out of Rome).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

We're booked for Feb 2021. Non refundable. I hope we get to go but we're just playing the waiting game. I'll let Royal cancel me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, we booked Ovation for Alaska and the only way we will the Sept. 4 sailing is if Royal cancels it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a cruise booked for the first week of July. I am sitting tight on that and not cancelling right now.

 

I've booked a December cruise out of San Juan with a refundable deposit as a contingency plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

 

This. I'm waiting for them to cancel instead of us canceling. 

 

Same here,  really at this point no sense worrying about whether to cancel or not, they will make the decision   for us before final payment anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a booking for November 2020. We're just waiting to see what happens with everything. Hoping the virus burns itself out by then and there's some sort of vaccine. The price for our cruise has dropped considerably, and we've taken advantage of every price drop 🙂 Keeping our fingers crossed that the world get's a handle on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B2B in December and still going, I have full expectation that I am going

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

We have a cruise late September, out of Rome...

 

Wait and see mode, 90% it will be a no go (will cancel right before final payment), baring a break through in vaccine/medicine/due to hot weather....

I sail from Rome on Oct 6th, probably right after you, and I say that 90% it’s a GO.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sellwingri, what makes you think an October sailing out of Rome is a 90 percent go?  Italy has the 2nd most cases and Spain is increasing rapidly.

Do you think the epidemic will be over by then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a 5 day Grandeur Sep 26... I paid a nonrefundable $250 so waiting to see.. the price actually dropped another $475 this week so I repriced ($273 a night for solo in corner aft JS suite... hoping but not counting on going!). I'm only a 30 minute drive from port so don't have to worry about airline tickets/hotel.

 

I did cancel my refundable Celebrity Apex for Nov 5, the first cruise scheduled for the US for Apex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My August 22 cruise’s final payment is May 29.  It would be nice to know if August cruises are going before final payment.  I don’t want to pay final payment then have the cruise cancel and have a huge FCC as I too many future cruises booked to use a FCC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, phabric said:

My August 22 cruise’s final payment is May 29.  It would be nice to know if August cruises are going before final payment.  I don’t want to pay final payment then have the cruise cancel and have a huge FCC as I too many future cruises booked to use a FCC.

 

You can use that FCC on currently booked future cruises to reduce the balance.  That is what I plan to do.  Or is that different for Canada?

Edited by island lady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sellwingri said:

I sail from Rome on Oct 6th, probably right after you, and I say that 90% it’s a GO.  

 

I wish, since I'm already in "cruise withdrawal" mode, and the price for this cruise recently dropped nicely 😁.

Are you on the Explorer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are out of Rome in October and have 10 days prior planned in Europe.  Just waiting to see what happens.  We were scheduled on the X Eclipse that is still heading to San Diego. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our June cruise got cancelled. We have a September cruise booked (not royal)- we won’t cancel but I have doubts it will go forward. We rebooked our Royal for next summer. We are still reading and willing to sail as soon as the cruise lines determine it is safe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had 6 balconies booked for New Years on the Liberty to have a family celebration for our 50th Wedding Celebration, but there is literally no way we could actually enjoy that time period worrying about all the things that could happen ...Cancelled and feel totally relieved!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are sailing in mid-Oct and no plans to cancel.............yet.  Already booked air reservations and hotel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, island lady said:

 

You can use that FCC on currently booked future cruises to reduce the balance.  That is what I plan to do.  Or is that different for Canada?

I have 4 cruises for the next 2 years with other cruise lines none with RC so a FCC would not be useful at this time.

Edited by phabric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a December 6, 2020 cruise on Harmony. Not cancelling yet but concerned because they do not anticipate having a vaccine for Covid 19 until at least several months after that. My wife and I are in the "vulnerable" catagory. I am over 60 and a diabetic being treated for high blood pressure. She is just old. 

 

What causes me pause is now they are talking about the virus probably coming in "waves" with it being suppressed during the summer months but having a second wave during what is typically the flue season this coming winter. My December cruise might be right in the middle ofa second wave.

 

However I am not making any knee jerk decisions and have plenty of time to see what happens. Not so much for our planned 40th anniversary ground trip to England this August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many people have canceled their cruises already. But I am 100% sure that it will turn upside down right when the crisis will be over. The demand will be so high, that everything will be booked a year ahead. If you really want to go on a cruise, I would suggest buying these cruises for 2021 now. Trust me, later, everything will be overbooked..and the prices will be sky high

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Booked for mid-September.  Very, very doubtful we’ll be sailing because we have a 1 year-old.  Final payment is due in June, so we’ll see.  Hate to say it, but a lot really depends on whether we contract CV between now and then.  Wife is a nurse practitioner in a pediatric ICU, so who knows. If we get it & recovered from it and thus have the immunity built up, we’ll go for sure.  If not, then I don’t see that happening. We’ll find some other way to vacation.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...