Cruise Critic Community
Elbozi

5 minute test = Carnival's way back to safe operation?

They are ramping up production of this nifty little device,  which gives a COVID19 test result in 5 minutes.      This is physically similar as the hundreds of thousands of units already in Urgent Cares, Doctors offices,etc, that give a Flu test result in 5 minutes.  

I can see a process where, at each port, everyone has to pass through this screening process to board.    Would probably need it at subsequent ports as well.    

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/28/21197944/coronavirus-test-fast-doctors-office-abbott-fda

Carnival has ordered infared cameras to detect illness in crew and passengers as they board

There are WAY more important needs for these tests than to re-open the cruise lines. the government should not let them buy them until all cities are taken care of.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, geckoaz said:

Carnival has ordered infared cameras to detect illness in crew and passengers as they board

It looks like your link was blocked.  Probably because it's a competing website?    Taking temperatures is good, but infected can still sneak by while not showing any symptoms.   Also, will these scanners work on people coming off hot climates, who have been in the sun.    This test, if it is useful, and doesn't have a lot of false positives or negatives, could be a game-changer.  I'd think Carnival would consider it, especially if they were already thinking of stuff like body scan temperature.

Edited by Elbozi
i'm dislexic, can't spell

Posted (edited)

If the OP is saying that everyone must go through a 5 minute test for COVID 19, think how much longer the entire embarkation process will become.  The ship will never be able to depart a home port the same day it started taking on passengers.

Will NEVER happen.

Edited by evandbob

It really depends on how sensitive the test is.  Will it detect someone that was infected that morning or days previous?

2 minutes ago, evandbob said:

If the OP is saying that everyone must go through a 5 minute test for COVID 19, think how much longer the entire embarkation process will become.  The ship will never be able to depart a home port the same day it started taking on passengers.

Will NEVER happen.

I had that thought too.   But the process is already pretty long, and has a flow.    This could be added into the flow,  you could be at a station where you do the test,  then you go on and do a couple of more things in the boarding process,    Before you hit some sort of results station.      I see this as being a viable way to keep cruisers safe,  post peak virus which is supposed to be in mid May,   and before we have a vaccine.     It's all pretty hypothetical.   But if this was out there, I would feel a lot more comfortable getting on a ship if they managed to implement this.

Posted (edited)

If someone was tested first in line,and 5 minutes later as they go through the process it is determined they are infected,how many more people would have come into contact with them in the lines while being processed?How many more would now be carrying the virus,only to become infected themselves,and have it show up on a test a day or 2 later.

Edited by nathananalex
sp

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Elbozi said:

I had that thought too.   But the process is already pretty long, and has a flow.    This could be added into the flow,  you could be at a station where you do the test,  then you go on and do a couple of more things in the boarding process,    Before you hit some sort of results station.      I see this as being a viable way to keep cruisers safe,  post peak virus which is supposed to be in mid May,   and before we have a vaccine.     It's all pretty hypothetical.   But if this was out there, I would feel a lot more comfortable getting on a ship if they managed to implement this.

Logistically impossible. The rate of testing (say 10 seconds to do the swab), will far outpace the machines ability to keep up. The article itself says that it can take up to 13 minutes to complete a test if it's negative. In theory 78 tests can be taken while waiting 13 minutes for the first result.

Edited by Jamman54

I'll give up cruising if every time I go to board I have to have a swab stuck up my nose into my sinus cavity. 😟  The test has to be administered by a medical professional.  It's more involved than a temperature scan.  Totally unacceptable and not doable for thousands of passengers at a time.  First they don't want anyone 70 or over, and now this.  End of cruise industry. 

6 minutes ago, Roz said:

I'll give up cruising if every time I go to board I have to have a swab stuck up my nose into my sinus cavity. 😟  

I suggest there might be a large percent of people who will ONLY cruise if everyone was given a test that proved negative. It's logically problematic, but it could reduce the apprehension that many now have toward cruising.  I think the emotional fallout is going to hurt the industry more than the virus itself.

Will airlines do the same thing?  Oh joy of joys, a stick stuck up my nose twice in one day.  Where will all the medical personnel come from/be paid for to conduct these tests?  What will happen to those who fail the test?  Will the airports or cruise terminals have quarantine facilities?  Will the cruise lines/airlines/travel insurance reimburse passengers who aren't symptomatic but fail the test since they had no way of knowing?  Lots to think about.

I like ELBOZI's idea . . . a 5 minute section of the embarkation line being slowed up, but it meets with problems of infection by people before they know they're infected as NATHANALEK points out.

I can't see any kind of regularity returning to cruising and flying until this virus is completely irradicated. And that appears to be at least a year away with the discovery of a vaccination that prevents you from getting it and or, spreading it.

Maybe my cruising days are over. 🙄

@Roz  I don't disagree in that there is a lot to think about. What I do suggest is that cruising has taken a beating in the psyche of the population. Whether correct or not, Airlines didn't have the same headlines. All Inclusive resorts didn't suffer the same stigma. Unfortunately, for all of us who love cruising,the image in the general population toward cruising has suffered.  I suspect there are teams of people being assembled to battle the perception of cruise ships as floating petri dishes. I'm not saying it's a correct image, but acknowledge the reality that the image of cruising is likely permanently damaged. At this point, anything (including testing prior to travel, or requiring vaccines, limiting pre-existing conditioned, ect.....) is pure damage control. Lines are going to do (or attempt to do) whatever it takes to get people cruising again. There will be fallouts.

3 hours ago, Elbozi said:

It looks like your link was blocked.  Probably because it's a competing website?    Taking temperatures is good, but infected can still sneak by while not showing any symptoms.   Also, will these scanners work on people coming off hot climates, who have been in the sun.    This test, if it is useful, and doesn't have a lot of false positives or negatives, could be a game-changer.  I'd think Carnival would consider it, especially if they were already thinking of stuff like body scan temperature.

If someone tests positive before boarding, there are now significant numbers of people that have also been exposed and are now possible carriers. Not sure that it would be much help to slow the transmission down.

Lots of people of pre-existing conditions, including me.  I have a congenital heart defect.  I may go to my grave with it at 100, or I may find myself in the ER tonight.  Should I be allowed to cruise?  What about HBP or diabetes that controlled with medication?  What if there is an unexpected spike?  

As much as I enjoy cruising, I may have to resign myself to land travel if draconian or restrictive measure are put into place.

I personally don't see it going quite that far, but I do suspect cruising is going to be MUCH more restrictive about who they let on the ship. If I was a betting woman, I'd put my money on mandatory vaccines before diabetes restrictions.

Eventually at this rate soon there will be a large “post covid” group of people. They are developing a test to see who already has the antibodies from having contracted the virus previously. Outside of a few cases (2 documented) where someone caught it twice (although there are questions of false positives/negatives in those cases) it is believed that once you contract it you have immunity for at least a year and up to 3 years at which time there should be vaccines available. Maybe post covids will happily resume cruising? 

Posted (edited)

I am leaving this up for now but watching carefully. This is all speculation. We should be concentrating on the "here and now" and healing the world literally so won't tolerate arguing here.

just my take on this, folks.

Edited by Host Carolyn

8 hours ago, nathananalex said:

If someone was tested first in line,and 5 minutes later as they go through the process it is determined they are infected,how many more people would have come into contact with them in the lines while being processed?How many more would now be carrying the virus,only to become infected themselves,and have it show up on a test a day or 2 later.

Well exactly - I don't see how any test would prevent this type of problem.  

7 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

I am leaving this up for now but watching carefully. This is all speculation. We should be concentrating on the "here and now" and healing the world literally so won't tolerate arguing here.

just my take on this, folks.

Thanks, I won't be offended if you lock it.  Prefer it really. Didn't mean to get people riled up,  just throwing an idea out there.  Idea may be entirely impractical.  Peace!

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I personally don't see it going quite that far, but I do suspect cruising is going to be MUCH more restrictive about who they let on the ship. If I was a betting woman, I'd put my money on mandatory vaccines before diabetes restrictions.

The bad thing about vaccines is that like the flu vaccine, it only covers one strain.  If they do come up with one for this strain, will another one pop up later that isn't covered by the vaccine?   

The interesting thing about that article is that the headline says results within five minutes.  In reading the article, it says 13-15 depending on if it's negative or positive.  That means that it takes that long for it to come up with a +/- result.  If the cruise line started using them, you would have to wait for 13-15 minutes between tests  because the machine  only does one sample at a time.  

Edited by RWolver672

It would be impractical and expensive to try to administer this test to everyone who boards s cruise ship, plane, etc. Cruising won’t resume until life gets back to normal and when that happens people won’t be as concerned about it. No one will demand everyone be tested prior to boarding a cruise. Did you ever expect them to test everyone who boarded for the flu during a bad flu season? Yes, I understand this isn’t the flu, but the main danger is the ‘curve’ which will be flattened before cruising resumes. Now they may do the scanners for temperature and test someone who shows symptoms.

19 hours ago, evandbob said:

Will NEVER happen.

I don't know if this test is the fix or not. If it was, do you really think Carnival would say "nope, we will never operate again because a 5 minute test during embarkation is too inconvenient?"

4 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

The bad thing about vaccines is that like the flu vaccine, it only covers one strain.  If they do come up with one for this strain, will another one pop up later that isn't covered by the vaccine?   

The interesting thing about that article is that the headline says results within five minutes.  In reading the article, it says 13-15 depending on if it's negative or positive.  That means that it takes that long for it to come up with a +/- result.  If the cruise line started using them, you would have to wait for 13-15 minutes between tests  because the machine  only does one sample at a time.  

Plus everyone who shows positive would demand another test