Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Elbozi

5 minute test = Carnival's way back to safe operation?

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

 

I don't know if this test is the fix or not. If it was, do you really think Carnival would say "nope, we will never operate again because a 5 minute test during embarkation is too inconvenient?"

 

 Not at all. Carnival just won't do something like a test because of the time, added personnel and extra cost involved.  They will just sail without it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, evandbob said:

 

 Not at all. Carnival just won't do something like a test because of the time, added personnel and extra cost involved.  They will just sail without it.

 

If it is not mandated to them, then yea, they probably wouldn't adopt it for those reasons and for its invasive nature.

 

If it became mandated (which it probably wouldn't), then they would figure out a way to make the time, personnel, and cost would work. 100%.  Think of flights pre-911 and how many people would say that they are done flying because of the inconvenience of the TSA and other new measures. Think of that outrage if that switch on flying was flipped today. Oh the madness that would create. Everyone got over it though. They may not like it, but life continues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I could see even being a possibility is that passengers would have to show proof they had the test within two weeks of travel.  But even doing that is overkill.  Once there is a treatment that works and the virus has worked its way through the world, things will be different.  Hopefully, that will happen long before a vaccine is available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if they tested everyone on embarkation, the test is only accurate for that day.  Someone could test positive while onboard.  IMO, they need to establish new protocol as to what happens with sick passengers onboard and being allowed to dock with sick passengers.  Otherwise, you will have more deaths at sea like what is happening with the HAL ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

 

The bad thing about vaccines is that like the flu vaccine, it only covers one strain.  If they do come up with one for this strain, will another one pop up later that isn't covered by the vaccine? 

The flu vaccine contains at least 3 strains of virus, sometimes more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, evandbob said:

If the OP is saying that everyone must go through a 5 minute test for COVID 19, think how much longer the entire embarkation process will become.  The ship will never be able to depart a home port the same day it started taking on passengers.

 

Will NEVER happen.

It takes longer 5 minutes already to go through security, wait in line, and get your sail & sign card etc.

 

They can test people at security then before you go through the doors to the ship pull anyone who is positive. Simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

It takes longer 5 minutes already to go through security, wait in line, and get your sail & sign card etc.

 

They can test people at security then before you go through the doors to the ship pull anyone who is positive. Simple.

Logistically impossible when you are talking about 3 or 4 thousand people. :classic_cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is it impossible?! 

Your thinking that they have one machine and everyone stands there all day or something...

 

A testing machine at every door. The ship could easily leave the same day. Arrive a few hours early and leave at sunset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Logistically impossible when you are talking about 3 or 4 thousand people. :classic_cool:

3,000 people 5 minutes a test. 20 testing machines. It would take 12 hours to have everyone tested. Arrive 8am depart 8pm. 

 

Get a calculator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jperry2011 said:

3,000 people 5 minutes a test. 20 testing machines. It would take 12 hours to have everyone tested. Arrive 8am depart 8pm. 

 

Get a calculator.

 

And that is for one ship.  

 

BTW, I got my degree from IUP.  Branch campus in Punxy.  Is it still there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

How is it impossible?! 

Your thinking that they have one machine and everyone stands there all day or something...

 

A testing machine at every door. The ship could easily leave the same day. Arrive a few hours early and leave at sunset.

Taking the sample is simple. Probably takes 10 seconds. Label the sample, then put it in the machine. If you read the article it says it can detect a positive result in as little as 5 minutes, but if a person is negative the test can take up to 13 minutes to complete. Record the result, and pass it down the line.. Does the machine need to be cleaned or re- calibrated between tests?. Each test could wind up taking 15 to 20 minutes, or 3 to 4 tests per hour. If you have 20 machines running, that's only 60 to 80 people an hour. 3,000 people divided by 80 people an hour equals 37.5 hours needed to test everyone. Impossible! 

Edited by Jamman54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only 5 minutes to test?!  Let's say 3,000 passengers multiply by 5 minutes each that is 15,000 minutes broken down to hours is 250 man hours just to test. How many employees would be needed to operate how many of these stations prior to boarding? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just think the whole process would be off putting to a lot of passengers and they would rethink their vacation options. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Elbozi said:

Thanks, I won't be offended if you lock it.  Prefer it really. Didn't mean to get people riled up,  just throwing an idea out there.  Idea may be entirely impractical.  Peace!

Elbozi, I wouldn't sweat it, You have a right to freedom of speech...and I didn't see you riling anybody up......Oh wait this is Cruise Critic, you don't have the right of free speech...Sorry!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, tree.critter said:

Only 5 minutes to test?!  Let's say 3,000 passengers multiply by 5 minutes each that is 15,000 minutes broken down to hours is 250 man hours just to test. How many employees would be needed to operate how many of these stations prior to boarding? 

Plus, multiply that by all the ships in the fleet. Ain't gonna happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tree.critter said:

 How many employees would be needed to operate how many of these stations prior to boarding? 

Not just employees, trained medical personnel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

The flu vaccine contains at least 3 strains of virus, sometimes more.

 

And for some reason, it never covers the strain that comes out after you get the shot.  I had both pneumonia and a flu shot.  Got both flu and pneumonia right after a cruise.  Spent eight days in the hospital.  They told me  that the vaccines are hit and miss every year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020 at 4:48 AM, RWolver672 said:

 

And for some reason, it never covers the strain that comes out after you get the shot.  I had both pneumonia and a flu shot.  I got both flu and pneumonia right after a cruise.  Spent eight days in the hospital.  They told me that the vaccines are hit and miss every year.  

If this mutates into a deadlier strain like happened in the second wave of the Spanish Flu; then you may not be looking at cruising until far into 2021. That would send us into an economic depression.  Few would have the spare coin to waste.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...