Constellation "Revolution"

Gracie115

13 minutes ago, peterw said:

Cruises already booked will bear no resemblance whatsoever to what was expected when they were originally booked.

Will X make it crystal clear to travellers what they can now expect and give them an option of cancelling on the basis that they cannot deliver what was originally on offer?

With any other product or service that is not as originally described customers in law do have some form of redress (in the UK that is)!

Very good point!

Not sure if anyone from Celebrity reads these boards, but yes, it would be great if what we can expect going forward,  was made clear whenever they have that information. 

(Not holding my breath though 😕)

As a consumer, I am not booking/purchasing anything where the facts/product/context is not clear cut and stable.

Until the cruise lines can demonstrate clearly what is the cruise product and that it can be consistently provided on every single voyage, not interested.

As for social distancing he noted that a large cruise ship capable of carrying thousands of passengers will make social distancing easier. When occupancy rates are capped, people will be able to be spread out throughout the ship’s multiple floors.

I'll be curious to see how the lines deal with these issues by reducing passenger count on cruises already booked.  While the M class ships have some of the absolute best public space / pax ratios in the business, dining and theater venues in particular are going to be difficult to address in any 'social distancing' plan without reducing pax count.  You can't have 4 dinner seatings and 4 theater performances each night.

I'd be curious to see whether the lines will start offering something new to existing bookings to take a different cruise just to reduce head count on the cruises that do run, and what will happen if not enough pax take them up on the offer (similar to what happens on an overbooked flight, only on a much larger scale).  And I'm not talking about things like they're offering now (e.g., "Lift & Shift").  From what I can tell, that hasn't much reduced demand on sailings at the end of this year, and for many, it has proved too restrictive to allow them to make changes due to lack of comparable cruises.  Celebrity isn't making that option easy, and evidently they don't feel they need to make it any easier in order to reach their objectives. 

Anyway, back to the point:  It would seem pointless to be adding cabins at this time when it appears that one of the requirements for a re-opening may well be a significantly reduced pax count.  I wouldn't expect a refit until RCCL can see far enough ahead to know when they can run at capacity again, and nobody can be sure of that at the moment.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 2:49 PM, D C said:

The Infinity, in March of 2019, was indeed disheveled.  Missing a railing section from the Sunset Bar up to deck 11.  A section of a balcony visible from the Sunset Bar (looking down, not sure what room/deck) had yellow caution tape blocking off a portion.  A quick look around showed a lot more visible rust than I'd seen on any other Celebrity ship.   Enjoyable cruise nonetheless, but I was surprised.

I guess disheveled can be in the eye of the beholder (and perhaps also what you happen to come across).  We sailed her a few months prior (Dec 2019) and I don't recall considering her disheveled.  Older ships not recently renovated do tend to have a little wear and tear here and there.  Maybe I just expect it so I don't even notice it.

On 5/26/2020 at 11:27 AM, peterw said:

Cruises already booked will bear no resemblance whatsoever to what was expected when they were originally booked.

Will X make it crystal clear to travellers what they can now expect and give them an option of cancelling on the basis that they cannot deliver what was originally on offer?

With any other product or service that is not as originally described customers in law do have some form of redress (in the UK that is)!

I would guess no, they will not make it crystal clear - they will give you some info couched in the most positive marketing lingo they can use without actually lying.  That is the nature of business.  I don't know about in the UK but I seriously doubt we in the US would have any recourse to insist on cancellation.  At the end of the day, what is likely to change that would pass a court of law definition of 'not as originally described'?  Fewer passengers?  Staff wearing masks?  More hand sanitizing and hand washing stations?   Being served in the buffet area rather than going up to the food areas?  Tables and bar stools placed further apart?  Theater seating further apart?  None of these really contradict anything now advertised.  Different/fewer ports of call?  Even that is spelled out specifically in their contract as being allowed to change as circumstances dictate.  I don't have high hopes of legal options, but hopefully Celebrity will be generous in allowing people to make changes if they don't feel comfortable traveling.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

At the end of the day, what is likely to change that would pass a court of law definition of 'not as originally described'? 

Rather than anything in your list, perhaps that the ship was due for a complete makeover prior to the cruise in some way that would significantly impact the cruiser's experience?

I think that may be Peterw's point.

It is mine as well, although almost in a reverse sense.  If we have to modify our cruise plans to a date after the future point at which Constellation cabin reclassifications have occurred, we are screwed on cabin selection.  We currently have an FV for a 31 October 20 sailing, and since our cruise isn't a candidate for "Lift & Shift" as we've booked it (no comparable sailing/cabin for 2021 post-reclass -- our cabin will be reclassified as a SV) Celebrity has told us that they will stuff us into a standard veranda instead.  THAT would be a huge miss regarding accommodations, and would quite easily be described as "not as originally described".  The difference between FV and a standard veranda is HUGE.

56 minutes ago, canderson said:

Rather than anything in your list, perhaps that the ship was due for a complete makeover prior to the cruise in some way that would significantly impact the cruiser's experience?

It is mine as well, although almost in a reverse sense.  If we have to modify our cruise plans to a date after the future point at which Constellation cabin reclassifications have occurred, we are screwed on cabin selection.  We currently have an FV for a 31 October 20 sailing, and since our cruise isn't a candidate for "Lift & Shift" as we've booked it (no comparable sailing/cabin for 2021 post-reclass -- our cabin will be reclassified as a SV) Celebrity has told us that they will stuff us into a standard veranda instead.  THAT would be a huge miss regarding accommodations, and would quite easily be described as "not as originally described".  The difference between FV and a standard veranda is HUGE.

I just think that, even without the long awaited makeover, the whole cruising experience will be so very different I am just not sure I will enjoy it anymore. Once they have a vaccine and we can go back to how it was earlier this year then thats fine. All the on board atmosphere will have gone, are we all going to sit on tables for 2? Sit 2 metres form other people? Walk one way around the ship's corridors lest we meet someone coming the other way? Have the theatre 75% empty.

Not an appealing prospect at all for us.

On 3/28/2020 at 5:41 PM, ECCruise said:

Can someone explain to me the fascination with the Celebrity "Revolution?"

I see absolutely nothing that would appeal to us.  No proper table on the balcony, degrading of furniture in the cabin, turning a cozy Michael's Club into a sterile Retreat. I guess the Retreat sun deck might appeal to some but we would never use it.

Am I missing something?

I totally agree with you!  Loved the "proper" size table on the balcony; enjoyed having b'fast and evening drinks and snacks.  New carpeting and bedding is not what I call a revolution!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canderson said:

Perhaps the makeover thing would be a defensible reason, not sure.  I was speaking of cruises overall rather than a specific ship.  I do agree with you that the change in cabin type would certainly qualify as a reason.  I personally was looking forward to the revisions as I was able to snag a suite on a B2B for a fabulous price, something I usually cannot afford.  I was planning to spend some nice time on the Retreat Deck.  Oh well.  But other than the cabin change thing you mentioned, I wonder how many people would really not sail due to a lack of renovation?  Some I guess.  As to me, I am so looking forward to cruising on ANY Celebrity ship no matter the renovation status!

On 5/27/2020 at 3:36 PM, HappyCamper49 said:

I totally agree with you!  Loved the "proper" size table on the balcony; enjoyed having b'fast and evening drinks and snacks.  New carpeting and bedding is not what I call a revolution!

I would definitely use the Retreat Sundeck because I do not like fighting over chairs that have a shoe and book on them.  That being said I don’t plan on canceling my Jan and March cruises because on no revolution.   I am happy that Michael’s Club will be still have that classy old Cruise Liner feel!

On 5/27/2020 at 3:36 PM, HappyCamper49 said:

It would not bother me in the least if they didn't call it a revolution - or call it anything for that matter.  But new carpeting, bedding, bathroom ditching the organism laden shower curtain, is much more important to me than Celebrity spending loads of money on various bars and other spots that are typically in far better condition than the staterooms anyway.

• Like 1

Still just wandering more or less aimlessly in the Aegean.  The figure 8's, the minimum radius turns, and the man overboard patterns were familiar, but these days, it's looking pretty schizophrenic.  No closer to Cadiz, that's for sure.  Looks like they pop up to Athens or another major city once in per week or so for supplies is all.

1124110260_ConnieRandom.thumb.jpg.385fccd0afbc68280e24aa2f735faa3f.jpg

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1

EVERYONE GIVE YOUR HEADS A SHAKE THE REVOLUTION REFIT IS NOT HAPPENING.

Yes the caps are on purpose. Watching to see if the ship is on the way to the yard is stupid.

If you are all pissed the revolution isn't going to happen and your "exclusive" suite bits aren't going to be there, then cancel the cruise and quit whining.

• Like 1

THEN CALL ME STUPID!  I want to see the ship head towards the shipyard so that it gets a new refreshed look ...light and bright. What is the harm in that?
I am not in a suite and I don’t care about suite amenities.  
But I do care to spend my vacation dollars in a first class environment without stains on the carpet, tears in the upholstery and rust on the railings. 
The itinerary is the one I want, the ship was supposed to be refurbished and I am still optimistic that it can happen.  

No one is asking you to track the meandering of the ship. Why so hostile?

• Like 1

Did you read the 413 posts before my rant? I's all well and nice to want all nice shiny new. My wife and I booked a cruise on Eclipse for next year and we booked it last year. It was supposed to be "Revolutionized" before our cruise but that was postponed last October. We are wondering if the cruise will even happen with the current world health crisis. So not being revolutionized is the least of our worries.

I would be very surprised if many of the "Revolution" plans are ever completed. Maybe a paint job and new carpets but major structural changes are doubtful. Many of the elements of the revolution have been widely panned. Now if they ever proceed with the remaining "M Class" "Revolutions"; I believe they will re-think those elements that other guests have panned. Things like that stupid giant chair in the cabin and the lack of a table that you can have your room service meal on. If Celebrity had plans to proceed with these refits, any time before any currently booked cruise...They would announce it.

So if Constellation does make it to a shipyard it will be a short refresh and cover whatever mandatory maintenance that is required. If you're really lucky maybe you'll get the shower doors. But that would depend on whether they need to move any bulkheads.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

EVERYONE GIVE YOUR HEADS A SHAKE THE REVOLUTION REFIT IS NOT HAPPENING.

Yes the caps are on purpose. Watching to see if the ship is on the way to the yard is stupid.

If you are all pissed the revolution isn't going to happen and your "exclusive" suite bits aren't going to be there, then cancel the cruise and quit whining.

Quit calling people stupid.  It's fun to watch the tracks.  I'm just curious to see where they are going, whenever they do get around to going somewhere.

Geez, first time I've ever called anyone a twit after 3000+ posts.  Lighten up, dude.

Having a little fun here.

At the risk of shaking up the BlackDuck again, a suggestion on why I'm watching and wondering.

Given what the schedule was for the 'revolution', you have to imagine that all of the soft goods needed were already purchased and warehoused somewhere.  Granted, it is very unlikely that major interior redesign, especially cabin additions and other structural changes, are likely to happen soon.  But the effort required to swap out some tired curtains and bedspreads is minimal, and as I say, the materiel was likely already waiting somewhere.  Given that, I would give it a reasonable 50/50 that rather than leaving that go, at least the 'easy' part would be done just to clear out some rented warehouse space.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, canderson said:

At the risk of shaking up the BlackDuck again, a suggestion on why I'm watching and wondering.

Given what the schedule was for the 'revolution', you have to imagine that all of the soft goods needed were already purchased and warehoused somewhere.  Granted, it is very unlikely that major interior redesign, especially cabin additions and other structural changes, are likely to happen soon.  But the effort required to swap out some tired curtains and bedspreads is minimal, and as I say, the materiel was likely already waiting somewhere.  Given that, I would give it a reasonable 50/50 that rather than leaving that go, at least the 'easy' part would be done just to clear out some rented warehouse space.

I like the way you think. 

40 minutes ago, canderson said:

I think the trick for us is when we approach Final Payment time, which would be Sept. 24 I believe.  If Celebrity still cannot commit to the Revolution before the December 23 cruise then we would have to cancel.  I fully understand those that are not interested in the Revolution and are happy the way the ship is, but like you said it is my money and there is a lot of competition for that money so I can be choosey if I so desire.  

I can fully understand the predicament Celebrity (and virtually all companies) is in, and if I could have one wish, it would be just to know yes or no if and whether the Revolution would happen so we can go ahead and make some plans.

17 minutes ago, aftforsure said:

I think the trick for us is when we approach Final Payment time, which would be Sept. 24 I believe.  If Celebrity still cannot commit to the Revolution before the December 23 cruise then we would have to cancel.  I fully understand those that are not interested in the Revolution and are happy the way the ship is, but like you said it is my money and there is a lot of competition for that money so I can be choosey if I so desire.  

I can fully understand the predicament Celebrity (and virtually all companies) is in, and if I could have one wish, it would be just to know yes or no if and whether the Revolution would happen so we can go ahead and make some plans.

Looking at the better efficiency of the newer ships, I wouldn't be suprised in the first place to only see Solstice and Edge Class sailing by end of the year and the Revolutionized Millenium Class vessel might be in cold layup until some point in Q1 next year and Infinity and Constellation will be removed from the fleet.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, canderson said:

You haven't shaken me up at all, like I said it was a rant because so many posts on the thread were clinging to the hope that all the major elements would be done while the ship was just idle. Well those things take vast amounts of money that is not on hand. 

I think I put forward my opinion that if there is a refit it will be cosmetic and for required  mechanical maintenance. 

I agree with you that it would be logical to install the new bedding and curtains, we have seen by the very design of the "revolution", logic may not be high on the priority list at Celebrity. I do understand that the "M Class" "Revolution" had many desirable components for all cabins, like the shower doors; other elements like the stupid big chair and the missing table were widely panned.

Part of my rant was because of the tone that the thread had grown over the 400+ posts. Some had legitimate concerns that the cabin they booked would not actually exist, but they really hadn't made an effort to find out from Celebrity what would happen with their booking. Then others who whined that they weren't getting what they paid for; join the club we are booked on cruise that was supposed to be "revolutionized" but was postponed back in October 2019. And still others were wondering what compensation they were entitled to because their cruise wouldn't be on a shiny new refit but that Constellation was now obviously a tramp steamer unfit for their tourist dollar.

38 minutes ago, aftforsure said:

AMEN!

13 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Looking at the better efficiency of the newer ships, I wouldn't be suprised in the first place to only see Solstice and Edge Class sailing by end of the year and the Revolutionized Millenium Class vessel might be in cold layup until some point in Q1 next year and Infinity and Constellation will be removed from the fleet.

That is our big  fear... our Connie cruise is booked for Jan 2021 (great price...Sky Suite).. We are not  confident that it  will happen  and are looking for a back up later in 2021, so our fcc is not lost! 

We were excited about the  home port of Tampa for Connie,    but Celeb may not want to set up shop there while getting back into other ports....or  X might move one of the upgraded M Class ship's  there instead.

Seems Infinity and Summit  get chartered alot so we will probably suck it up and book out of FLL one more time , and take an  S Class ship if we can. Enjoyed EDGE  twice but  we want a more traditional ship experience next time.