Constellation "Revolution"

Gracie115

On 4/8/2020 at 8:32 PM, Gracie115 said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised for Celebrity to find a way to sell or just get rid of Constellation and Infinity.  There is no way that the cruise lines (all of them) will be up & running with full ships immediately or even soon after they re open.  They are going to need to find ways to trim expenses, maximize revenues and I think that will mean adjusting itineraries, pricing and possibly a smaller, better, fleet.  The "S" class ships that haven't been done are still wonderful vessels that have no need of huge expensive changes now, smart thing to do would be to "cut their losses" now and hope that they can make maximum $$ on the remaining fleet......and forget the remaining "EDGE" class for at least a few years.

way to take pessimism to a whole new level 🤣 Think the amount of cruises they have sold and the future plans for the company all point to this not happening. Don’t think so many people would be weighing in on whether or not the ship will get a refurb if there was a chance it wouldn’t exist!

coronavirus aside... this is all temporary! Onwards and upwards!

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 9:32 AM, KateWes said:

We are booked for the med cruise Aug 2020. Unsure if the cruise will even go ahead... let alone if the ship will be revolutionised. However, as many people have already expressed, we were sold a certain standard of ship and don’t believe it’s fair to charge the same price for a shabbier cruise ship we didn’t initially book.

We are booked on Best of Italy for October 2020.

My dream cruise!

Our very first cruise was on the Constellation and we loved it.

We prefer the smaller, more intimate ships.

We were on the refurbished Millennium from HongKong March 2019 and it was stunning.

Fresh, contemporary and bright.

I love the colours and the furniture in the MDR

However, I would say some of the seating in the bars etc is not very comfortable. 

Having been on the refurbished M-Class, I would not want to go on the Constellation if the re-fit did not happen.

However, we are dealing with far more important issues for now and the most important thing is we all stay safe & well.

What will be will be.

Take care everyone!

• Like 1

We were on the Equinox in September which did not get fully revolutionised, we received nothing and I would be very surprised if that changes for any other ships not revolutionised. I do remember one or two people complaining they were not getting what they paid for but in truth it never bothered us. Wonderful cruise on a wonderful ship. 

I honestly think the cruise companies will survive, come back even stronger, and given two or three years cruise numbers will be higher than they were when the virus broke out. It’s a fantastic product that more and more people love, they will still love it down the line. We will carry on cruising until we either die, or are not fit enough to travel. I know there is a lot of negativity just now and it’s going to take time, but we will get there.

• Like 3

@TeeRick What we have seen is that smaller ships could easier handle  the situation. Also that port autorities are afraid for big ships with corona. There is a difference between handling 1200 pax or 6000.

I’m not saying that riskscontrol on big ships is not as good as on smaller. But it is a big difference  handling large pax on the ship as in the harbour. 
I think restarting will be on as max 50% passengercapacity so they can keep “social distance”. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, yorky said:

I honestly think the cruise companies will survive, come back even stronger, and given two or three years cruise numbers will be higher than they were when the virus broke out. It’s a fantastic product that more and more people love, they will still love it down the line. We will carry on cruising until we either die, or are not fit enough to travel. I know there is a lot of negativity just now and it’s going to take time, but we will get there.

Well said yorky! 

I agree 100%

We are in our 50's and fairly new to cruising. 

Love everything about it & have seen so many amazing places.

We will also carry on cruising 😊😊😊

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chrisclaire said:

Well said yorky! 

I agree 100%

We are in our 50's and fairly new to cruising. 

Love everything about it & have seen so many amazing places.

We will also carry on cruising 😊😊😊

Thank you, we are 40/50s and have been cruising for just over 20 years. We hope to have another 20 years if possible.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RichardQ said:

@TeeRick What we have seen is that smaller ships could easier handle  the situation. Also that port autorities are afraid for big ships with corona. There is a difference between handling 1200 pax or 6000.

I’m not saying that riskscontrol on big ships is not as good as on smaller. But it is a big difference  handling large pax on the ship as in the harbour. 
I think restarting will be on as max 50% passengercapacity so they can keep “social distance”. 

RichardQ thanks for your explanation.  I agree with most of your thoughts here.  But I don't think that a successful restarting will be dependent on social distancing at 50% passenger capacity on a small or large ship.  It will be impossible to enforce and will not be effective.  

6 hours ago, KateWes said:

way to take pessimism to a whole new level 🤣 Think the amount of cruises they have sold and the future plans for the company all point to this not happening. Don’t think so many people would be weighing in on whether or not the ship will get a refurb if there was a chance it wouldn’t exist!

coronavirus aside... this is all temporary! Onwards and upwards!

Just being realistic, the cruise industry WILL change, there will be compression of some lines.  We'll see what the next year or so brings, sometimes decisions have to be made to help "right the ship" (pun intended).  Both Infinity and Constellation are old ships and RCL has to find a way to save money.  This is a possible way to do that.  Sorry but things are not ever going to be the same for the cruise industry. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yorky said:

Couldn't agree less.  I think cruising has hit it's hey day and will not recover to pre-COVID19 levels.   Too much negative publicity (ie.. Diamond Princess, Zaandam, Coral Princess even Eclipse) and too many people who, like us, don't want to be caught stranded on a ship sick.  We've cruise over 30 times but we, like many, will demand changes to how sickness is handled on ships before we sail again.

The industry will survive, I do believe that, but it will be very different.  AND they will have a very rough time recruiting new cruisers after all that has happened this year.  

2 hours ago, RichardQ said:

Smaller ships didn't do well this time around....Zaandam, Coral Princess.....

8 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Couldn't agree less.  I think cruising has hit it's hey day and will not recover to pre-COVID19 levels.   Too much negative publicity (ie.. Diamond Princess, Zaandam, Coral Princess even Eclipse) and too many people who, like us, don't want to be caught stranded on a ship sick.  We've cruise over 30 times but we, like many, will demand changes to how sickness is handled on ships before we sail again.

The industry will survive, I do believe that, but it will be very different.  AND they will have a very rough time recruiting new cruisers after all that has happened this year.  

I know, you are very pessimistic about the future  of cruising, I think it’s just too good a product and will go from strength to strength. Nothing wrong with different opinions, that’s what keeps online forums interesting.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

But they are not owned by RCCL.  I know Oasis had issues but mainly with crew.

Oasis is a huge ship, I think it was crew too.

No, the ones I mentioned aren't RCL ships, just smaller ships that didn't do well with this issue, that's all I meant.

13 minutes ago, yorky said:

I know, you are very pessimistic about the future  of cruising, I think it’s just too good a product and will go from strength to strength. Nothing wrong with different opinions, that’s what keeps online forums interesting.

Absolutely, and I HOPE you are right and I am wrong.  

2 hours ago, RichardQ said:

Social distancing is a non-starter on a cruise ship, for both passengers and crew. The configuration of ships, even running at 50% capacity, precludes the possibility of maintaining the necessary distancing.

• Like 2

The big monster ships never appealed to us.  Oasis was a one and done! They did a good job getting folks on and off the ship,  but we it did  not have a real cruise feel..more like a flotating mall with food court!

Large city vs a nice small town...much easier and safer in illness to have less density!

• Like 3

All I know is the last time we were on Connie, it needed to be refurbished and I like VERY much what I've seen of the Summit redo.  I DO agree with you on the "S" class ships...not needed at all.
Is the removal of table all balconies. Dh and I often have breakfast on our balcony.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Forums mobile app

4 minutes ago, Sabbycat said:

I expect the postponement of the refurb probably has something to do with the fact the dry dock is probably closed and it's workers laid off from work until covid-19 gets better. Can't go into dry dock if there are no workers.

Has there been confirmation that the refit is postponed?

1 hour ago, Sabbycat said:

I expect the postponement of the refurb probably has something to do with the fact the dry dock is probably closed and it's workers laid off from work until covid-19 gets better. Can't go into dry dock if there are no workers.

1 hour ago, Chrisclaire said:

Has there been confirmation that the refit is postponed?

Yes it has been postponed according to Celebrity rep I know.  I also expect the postponement may have had something to do with dry dock being closed but MUCH MORE to do with having no funds to pay for it.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

Yes it has been postponed according to Celebrity rep I know.  I also expect the postponement may have had something to do with dry dock being closed but MUCH MORE to do with having no funds to pay for it.

Did the Celebrity Rep say it was postponed to conserve money or due to dry dock facility not being operational?

Edited by jelayne
Typo