Constellation "Revolution"

Gracie115

17 minutes ago, lakegirl16 said:

...Sounds like the updates aren't going to happen, which I understand!  And at this point, who knows if any ships or this ship will be cruising in 2021 or not?  That aside, we are booked on the non refundable deposit ($900) which I know means we would lose $100 each if we cancel and the balance would go as FCC.  I feel like because this isn't going to be the ship that we booked to sail on, we should be able to cancel and get our money back.  I did call Celebrity last week and they couldn't tell me much since we booked through Costco.

Anyone have any tips on what to do?  Or am I just out of luck on being able to cancel and get my money back?

I have the same thoughts - this isn't going to be the product I chose when placing my deposit. That being said... Celebrity told me that just like they don't guarantee what ports you'll go to on a voyage, they don't guarantee refurbs will happen as scheduled. And it's certainly isn't their fault that it isn't happening this year. I'm watching and waiting until we're right near final payment date to see if they cancel our cruise and then I can ask for full refund. No need to take action before final payment date, it may work out in your favor after all.

7 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

There is mandatory hull maintenance and other inspections that are required every 5 years.  While they may not do the Revolution updates I believe there will be an alternate dry dock date set at some point possibly prior to resuming sailings on Constellation.  Purely my speculation.

Constellation's last drydock was back in May of 2017. If we go by your 5 year rule then it would next go in around May 2022. The ship is only scheduled right now through spring of 2022 in the Caribbean, so it doing the revolution updates right after that would make sense and is what some of us had already predicted as it prevents any disruption to the current sailing schedule. The last thing Celebrity is going to want to do is lose any more bookings by taking the ship out of service unless it's financially necessary.

So reading this thread we might as well just cancel our 2022 cruise since the Constellation will likely be gone;). If our Apex cruise doesn't go next year as well we will be one and done with Celebrity which would absolutely suck. If they get rid of the Constellation before our APEX cruise I will likely cancel the Apex because of the great deal we lost on the Constellation. No way I am guessing they would honor that deal on another ship. Hope some are wrong because we were looking forward to both.

After dealing with an extremely greedy cruise line/company in the past, we aren't really all that loyal to any line, lesson was learned in a big way.

6 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

So reading this thread we might as well just cancel our 2022 cruise since the Constellation will likely be gone;). If our Apex cruise doesn't go next year as well we will be one and done with Celebrity which would absolutely suck. If they get rid of the Constellation before our APEX cruise I will likely cancel the Apex because of the great deal we lost on the Constellation. No way I am guessing they would honor that deal on another ship. Hope some are wrong because we were looking forward to both.

After dealing with an extremely greedy cruise line/company in the past, we aren't really all that loyal to any line, lesson was learned in a big way.

Please be aware there is no proof that any Celebrity ship will be leaving the fleet. This is all  speculation as is much that’s being written just now. No one on here knows what Celebrity will do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yorky said:

Please be aware there is no proof that any Celebrity ship will be leaving the fleet. This is all  speculation as is much that’s being written just now. No one on here knows what Celebrity will do.

I hope not, the Constellation cruise is one we are really looking forward too. The ";)" about cancelling was me being cheeky, but the costs in the next sentence are why we would be really mad if it did get cancelled.  With taxes and port fees and 3 perks it was 139 per person per night with ports we really like and a 10 day cruise that is work friendly with how the days fell on the calendar.

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I hope not, the Constellation cruise is one we are really looking forward too. With taxes and port fees and 3 perks it was 139 per person per night with ports we really like and a 10 day cruise that is work friendly with how the days fell on the calendar.

A very good deal indeed. I would personally take many of the comments with a pinch of salt. When I want to know what is happening with the Celebrity fleet I wait on Celebrity making an announcement and not posters on a cruise forum.

• Like 2

We also have a great deal for Connie in Jan 2021 out of Tampa..first suite ever!

The refurb is not a big deal as long as there is already a suite lounge and restaurant in board.  Hoping the ship is not sold or the  cruise cancelled...We have a fcc to use !

10 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Constellation's last drydock was back in May of 2017. If we go by your 5 year rule then it would next go in around May 2022.

It was actually scheduled to be Revolutionized in May 2020.  We are booked on her for March 2021.  No longer are we expecting to sail on her post Revolution, but if we get to go, we will enjoy her just the same.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

17 minutes ago, hcat said:

We also have a great deal for Connie in Jan 2021 out of Tampa..first suite ever!

The refurb is not a big deal as long as there is already a suite lounge and restaurant in board.  Hoping the ship is not sold or the  cruise cancelled...We have a fcc to use !

8 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

It was actually scheduled to be Revolutionized in May 2020.  We are booked on her for March 2021.  No longer are we expecting to sail on her post Revolution, but if we get to go, we will enjoy her just the same.

For us it would be interesting to see the old Celebrity, so I would be totally cool with an unrevolutionized ship. Just hoping the world gets back to normal soon and this is in the rearview mirror.

• Like 2

To put it in perspective, as we all wonder sitting in our quarantines about the potential of cruise lines going bankrupt-  if Connie sails whether refurbished or not, I would be on her even if she was held together with duct tape!.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

To put it in perspective, as we all wonder sitting in our quarantines about the potential of cruise lines going bankrupt-  if Connie sails whether refurbished or not, I would be on her even if she was held together with duct tape!.  

Same, but only if the duct tape was above the waterline;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On the flip side, it would be a lot cheaper to update an m class ship and easier to fill than building another Apex size ship. Travel demand on cruises (except for pax using their fcc before 2022 for 2020 cancelled cruises) may be less for a few years. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hcat said:

We are also booked in January in a suite.  I recently checked the prices for the same SS and it is almost $2,000 + more!  I’m keeping my booking.  They will have Michael’s club and Luminae so I am good with that.

Latest on Spain:

https://www.thelocal.es/20200420/when-will-it-be-possible-to-travel-to-spain-again

What is clear though is it is going to be quite a while before we can expect normality to return to the tourism industry which accounts for some 12 percent of Spain’s GDP and employs 13 percent of its workforce.

Spain's Employment minister talked on Sunday about two stages of reactivation of Spain’s economic sectors, explaining that “phase one” of gradual normalization would likely last over the summer months with ”phase two” continuing until at the end of the year.

"Phase one will cover the manufacturing sectors over the summer and another that will last until the end of the year and that would affect sectors such as tourism, culture and leisure," she warned.

Without detailing what either would involve,  she warned that Spain couldn’t expect “normality” to return until at least Christmas – Spanish media speculate that this means restaurants, bars and hotels could remain closed throughout “phase two”.

Thanks for the direct link, which makes it clear that everything is still vague at the moment.  Not looking for full "normality" in November, just the option of taking two private tours that we have booked prior to sailing.  We have until at least August to sort it out in any case.

49 minutes ago, dabear said:

On the flip side, it would be a lot cheaper to update an m class ship and easier to fill than building another Apex size ship. Travel demand on cruises (except for pax using their fcc before 2022 for 2020 cancelled cruises) may be less for a few years. 

I was also wondering if Celebrity had already ordered/paid for some of the refurbishment?  I assume they had clauses put in where they could cancel, but assume some money would still be lost if they cancelled the whole refurbishment.  And, like you say much cheaper than building a whole new ship.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Where’s that like button?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Um...I’m aware of that; that’s what this whole discussion is about, the fact that the Revolution updates didn’t happen and people wondering when/if it will. I was responding to someone’s comment about the drydock schedule for this ship and the last one that actually took place was in May 2017 as I was on the sailing right before it. 

2 hours ago, aftforsure said:

I was also wondering if Celebrity had already ordered/paid for some of the refurbishment?  I assume they had clauses put in where they could cancel, but assume some money would still be lost if they cancelled the whole refurbishment.  And, like you say much cheaper than building a whole new ship.

The shipyard is closed so the renovations could not happen. That should get them out of any payments being due. Perhaps any monies paid will be held onto by the shipyard until a new schedule can be worked out. It seems likely that furnishings and supplies to be used for the renovation were already purchased and may be sitting in storage somewhere. Those could be held indefinitely or perhaps just used for Infinity if they go forward with its renovation this fall.

9 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Um...I’m aware of that; that’s what this whole discussion is about, the fact that the Revolution updates didn’t happen and people wondering when/if it will. I was responding to someone’s comment about the drydock schedule for this ship and the last one that actually took place was in May 2017 as I was on the sailing right before it. 

Gotcha