NEXT CRUISE - ARE YOU KIDDING? Seriously.

Formula280SS

NEXT CRUISE?

Well after ~

1.  Next safe trip to the grocery store (at 5 or 6 am) without masks, gloves, 6' spacing and after return to home then washing all of the purchases after the checkout lady/man with gloves handled everything (without changing gloves from one customer to the next to the next to the next).

2.  Same as 1 for "everything else."

3.  Top of the list, next safe 'dinner out; locally.

4.  Next safe date when "airline protocals for sanitization" are adequate so that we don't have to walk or drive to cruise ports; give us the darn wipes on the way in we'll clean everything and you can walk around with your bag after; and make those with visible symptoms sit in the back and wear the darn masks (or don't let them on, or us on, if they or we visibly show such).

5.  The cruise lines announce long overdue changes to operating protocals for sanitization; thermal scan to board, a health officer and staff to perform at dining venues as a matter of course, stop looking the other way on the pre-boarding questions for the clearly sick signators at the check in counter, new world buffet (people simply can't be trusted to 100% comply, automation, ship staff (with adequate screening), riddance of salt and pepper grinders and shakers (paper ones just fine thank you), specialty restaurant protocals (waitstaff don't  belong 'busing, then serving; separate busers, runners and wait staff) and 100% enforced hand washing for patrons and staff, etc.

5*  Shoes!  Spraying washy on half of the returnee's from excursions looks and sound so nice.  However, what's on the bottom of the shoes (local ingredients, low quality sanitary facilities, etc.) get on to the floors, rugs, etc. all over the ship immediately and, after such contact, spreads to clothing, hands, etc.

6.  The cruise lines massively upgrade their medical facilities; including, but not limited to, providing the spacial resources for the demographis of the cruising customers and, to a much lesser extent, even addressing a growing issue by forming a co-venture in the industry to pay for their own medical evacuations.

AND...

1.  An effective drug(s) therapy is developed, tested and approved and is available and on board.

2.  An effective vaccine is developed, tested and approved and is available beforehand.

DUCKING.

I am now about to GET CRUSHED.  🤕

I'm dying to cruise again (see signature history), I just don't want to die doing it or be laid up on a ship in a stateroom for 2+ weeks "somewhere" while they figure out what to do or who will take us.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Formula280SS said:

I'm dying to cruise again (see signature history), I just don't want to die doing it or be laid up on a ship in a stateroom for 2+ weeks "somewhere" while they figure out what to do or who will take us.

I agree with your sentiment. As people who have loyalty status on a few cruise lines, this is sad for us, but I'm grateful for all our wonderful previous travel. I may feel differently in a year, but have lost trust in other people to do the right thing (personal hygiene) and am not willing to take the risk.  I will return to Europe someday to visit my family but that is about it.  I doubt we will cruise again unless massive changes are made.  I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

• Like 2

The world is waiting... you aren't alone in this.  Many people continue to die from this horrendous virus. W.H.O. knows when this will be eradicated and when it will be safe to be social with friends, family and cruise mates?

Patience and it's going to take a lot IMO to get through this microbiological event.  To me, it almost seems as though someone has attempted to create a virus to rid the world of it's weakest beings... SCI-FI... yeah for now. 

It will get eradicated soon, depending on your estimation of "soon". 

18 months until there is a vaccine, if we are lucky. I was supposed to retire next week so I could travel. I'm dropping down to 20 hours and staying employed for the near future at least. I can't wait to get back on a ship but I'm not willing to risk death to do it.

• Like 3

I'm in my late 40s.

I have always been aware of these type of virus risks onboard, but never really pictured one that would kill me.  That's kinda eye-opening.  I also didn't picture that awful and claustrophobic quarantine situation, which scares me a lot more than the unlikely chance that I would die from a virus on a cruise (at my age).

I would cruise again, if the price is right, AND if COVID-19 is either completely eradicated or I already had it and couldn't get it again.

5 minutes ago, pokerpro5 said:

I would cruise again, if the price is right, AND if COVID-19 is either completely eradicated or I already had it and couldn't get it again.

Your statement brought up an interesting thought. Making the cruise ships safer and healthier would require more staff and new policies. These would raise costs, so I fear that cruises will have to raise their prices to pay for these things.

Just now, pokerpro5 said:

Then you will probably never cruise again. COVID-19 will never be completely eradicated in your lifetime. Maybe your kids lifetime. Would this travel band extend to airplanes?  

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 4

I am an ER nurse and I can tell you that all the positive Covid-19 patients we have seen so far in our ER have not been anyone who was on a cruise or even had recent travel. There are many people in the world who are positive Covid-19 and have never cruised or traveled outside of their country. On that note, we need to remember to ALWAYS have good hygiene whether we are at home or traveling and not just during a health crisis. We also need to remember to be KIND to one another everyday. I was to be currently on a cruise as I type this. Disappointed that I’m not on vacation but also grateful that me and my family are healthy and praying we all remain that way, as well as you all!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Then you will probably never cruise again. COVID-19 will never be completely eradicated in your lifetime. Maybe your kids lifetime. Would this travel band extend to airplanes?  

Huh?  How many cases of the "other" coronavirus, 2002 SARS, do you hear about today?

Of course COVID-19 will eventually die.  Herd immunity will kill it.  It also hasn't been found to mutate very well, so it's not that likely that it will keep coming back in different forms.

• Like 1

I was on the Getaway March 8 to 15th. I felt safe and had a good time onboard and off. I the extra precautions I could see were adequate and I never really worried 

The downers were the other passengers fretting about what might be awaiting them upon returning to the port. Well we docked and departed the ship without incident. 

My next cruise requires flights to Europe. I am concerned about issues with potential flight connections in Europe and what our government may do to make my return to the US painful. I am not at all concerned about the cruise or NCL arranged excursions. 

I expect we will cancel our booked cruise as final payment is due mid May and I am not ready to let NCL hold my cash for a trip I think we'll cancel. The trip is for a significant birthday celebration for my mother. I want fun and happy memories, not worry.

Edited by Nola26

25 minutes ago, Weluv2cruise2gether said:

I am an ER nurse and I can tell you that all the positive Covid-19 patients we have seen so far in our ER have not been anyone who was on a cruise or even had recent travel. There are many people in the world who are positive Covid-19 and have never cruised or traveled outside of their country. On that note, we need to remember to ALWAYS have good hygiene whether we are at home or traveling and not just during a health crisis. We also need to remember to be KIND to one another everyday. I was to be currently on a cruise as I type this. Disappointed that I’m not on vacation but also grateful that me and my family are healthy and praying we all remain that way, as well as you all!

Great post.  

And a special 'Thank you" to you and all your compatriots that are on the front line of this 'war' against this virus!  May you all be safe.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pokerpro5 said:

Huh?  How many cases of the "other" coronavirus, 2002 SARS, do you hear about today?

Of course COVID-19 will eventually die.  Herd immunity will kill it.  It also hasn't been found to mutate very well, so it's not that likely that it will keep coming back in different forms.

Thought they said this has already mutated before it got to the US and they are expecting it to mutate again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pokerpro5 said:

SARS infected only 8,000 people, causing 800 deaths. It never had a significant worldwide spread. It spread to only two dozen countries.

COVID-19 has already caused over 660,000 confirmed infections, killing over 30,000 and has spread worldwide and is growing exponentially.

Your statement that it hasn't been found to mutate very well is not supported scientifically . We don't know yet. It could mutate like the influenza virus does. 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/coronavirus-resource-center

Can a person who has had coronavirus get infected again?

While we don't know the answer yet, most people would likely develop at least short-term immunity to the specific coronavirus that causes COVID-19. However, you would still be susceptible to a different coronavirus infection. Or, this particular virus could mutate, just like the influenza virus does each year. Often these mutations change the virus enough to make you susceptible, because your immune system thinks it is an infection that it has never seen before.

2 hours ago, Weluv2cruise2gether said:

This may depend where in the world you are.  In Australia, most of our cases (so far) have been traced back to people arriving from overseas both on cruise ships and airplanes.  https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-current-situation-and-case-numbers

"The majority of Australian confirmed cases acquired their infection overseas, including on board cruise ships or associated with recent  travel to Europe or the Americas."

This graph shows Australian cases of COVID-19 that were acquired overseas by the region or country they were acquired in. See the Description field on the publication page for a full description.

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

I just don't want to die doing it or be laid up on a ship in a stateroom for 2+ weeks "somewhere" while they figure out what to do or who will take us.

Or kicked off the ship in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

NEXT CRUISE?

Well after ~

1.  Next safe trip to the grocery store (at 5 or 6 am) without masks, gloves, 6' spacing and after return to home then washing all of the purchases after the checkout lady/man with gloves handled everything (without changing gloves from one customer to the next to the next to the next).

4.  Next safe date when "airline protocals for sanitization" are adequate so that we don't have to walk or drive to cruise ports; give us the darn wipes on the way in we'll clean everything and you can walk around with your bag after; and make those with visible symptoms sit in the back and wear the darn masks (or don't let them on, or us on, if they or we visibly show such).

5.  The cruise lines announce long overdue changes to operating protocals for sanitization; thermal scan to board, a health officer and staff to perform at dining venues as a matter of course, stop looking the other way on the pre-boarding questions for the clearly sick signators at the check in counter, new world buffet (people simply can't be trusted to 100% comply, automation, ship staff (with adequate screening), riddance of salt and pepper grinders and shakers (paper ones just fine thank you), specialty restaurant protocals (waitstaff don't  belong 'busing, then serving; separate busers, runners and wait staff) and 100% enforced hand washing for patrons and staff, etc.

5*  Shoes!  Spraying washy on half of the returnee's from excursions looks and sound so nice.  However, what's on the bottom of the shoes (local ingredients, low quality sanitary facilities, etc.) get on to the floors, rugs, etc. all over the ship immediately and, after such contact, spreads to clothing, hands, etc.

6.  The cruise lines massively upgrade their medical facilities; including, but not limited to, providing the spacial resources for the demographis of the cruising customers and, to a much lesser extent, even addressing a growing issue by forming a co-venture in the industry to pay for their own medical evacuations.

AND...

1.  An effective drug(s) therapy is developed, tested and approved and is available and on board.

2.  An effective vaccine is developed, tested and approved and is available beforehand.

DUCKING.

Classic germaphobe.  The body has to be exposed to a certain amount of germs to build up resistances.  Living in a bubble isn't the answer.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

NEXT CRUISE?

Well after ~

AND...

DUCKING.

So while I respect your thoughts on what should happen before the cruise industry starts again I agree and disagree with you on a couple of things. I think you kind of need to be realistic with your ideas. a cruise ship is only so big and they only want to spend so much money. while the cruise lines can learn from this and make changes they also need to be realistic. because at the end of the day the more things they try to make people do, the more likely it is for people to lie. 

5.  The cruise lines announce long overdue changes to operating protocals for sanitization; thermal scan to board, a health officer and staff to perform at dining venues as a matter of course, stop looking the other way on the pre-boarding questions for the clearly sick signators at the check in counter, new world buffet (people simply can't be trusted to 100% comply, automation, ship staff (with adequate screening), riddance of salt and pepper grinders and shakers (paper ones just fine thank you)-no this is really annoying. i hated when they did this on princess when a flu outbreak came onboard, sorry , specialty restaurant protocals (waitstaff don't  belong 'busing, then serving; separate busers, runners and wait staff) and 100% enforced hand washing for patrons and staff, etc.-I agree with you on the follow: They shouldn't turn a blind eye at the pre boarding questionaires. I think a lot of people lie about it because they dont want to cancel a cruise. I don't blame them. I feel like they could do it better. i think they can enforce it but how. people will lie on the questionnaires they are asking for over 70 so how can you get people to be honest?if they enforce it at the ports its gonna need more man power. more man power and more resources = more money the cruise line doesn't want to spend. they are all about their bottom line. 

5*  Shoes!  Spraying washy on half of the returnee's from excursions looks and sound so nice.  However, what's on the bottom of the shoes (local ingredients, low quality sanitary facilities, etc.) get on to the floors, rugs, etc. all over the ship immediately and, after such contact, spreads to clothing, hands, etc.- i understand hands but why shoes? how are you going to enforce this? it's hard enough to get everyone to wash their hands. im sure people won't be pleased to have to walk through something, get their feet/shoes sprayed. while a nice idea i feel its impossible to enforce. and you might say oh when people walk aboard, its easier said then done. 

6.  The cruise lines massively upgrade their medical facilities; including, but not limited to, providing the spacial resources for the demographis of the cruising customers and, to a much lesser extent, even addressing a growing issue by forming a co-venture in the industry to pay for their own medical evacuations.- how and why? they only have so much room. and to be honest ships aren't meant to be a place where you should go for every issue. more like in case of emergencys. the staff in the medical center are trained and all the marine officers are as well. while i could see upgrading to make it more up to date i don't agree with anymore than that. you shouldn't really be cruising if an emergency is a high risk for you. harsh yes but true. medical evacs are super expensive. it's not an easy task to get someone off the ship by helicoper. thats why they have insurance for issues like this. no one should make this a joint venture. if you need it buy insurance. no cruise line is going to be willing to take on the insurance risk by saying they are willing to take medicvacs on. sorry. buy insurance.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I agree with your sentiment. As people who have loyalty status on a few cruise lines, this is sad for us, but I'm grateful for all our wonderful previous travel. I may feel differently in a year, but have lost trust in other people to do the right thing (personal hygiene) and am not willing to take the risk.  I will return to Europe someday to visit my family but that is about it.  I doubt we will cruise again unless massive changes are made.  I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

That's a really good highlight; others are risking your exposures.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pokerpro5 said:

I'm in my late 40s.

I have always been aware of these type of virus risks onboard, but never really pictured one that would kill me.  That's kinda eye-opening.  I also didn't picture that awful and claustrophobic quarantine situation, which scares me a lot more than the unlikely chance that I would die from a virus on a cruise (at my age).

Thanks for a very rational post (for such a youngster).

13 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Your statement brought up an interesting thought. Making the cruise ships safer and healthier would require more staff and new policies. These would raise costs, so I fear that cruises will have to raise their prices to pay for these things.

Yes, it would.  It might be the new normal however.

13 hours ago, Weluv2cruise2gether said:

Well first, thank you for your service.  My youngest son's wife, a PT Dr. at a large metro DC hospital, pregnant, is still working and worrying the heck out of us.  Personal hygiene, as you note is uptmost; however as another member posted, "others risk you" by their lack of such.

• Like 1

They are now producing rapid tests for CV19 which take less than 30mins. Maybe we will all have to undergo an enforced waiting time at boarding to be cleared of having CV19. Frankly if they took the test on arrival at the port they could probably have your results by the time you get through the registration process. I guess the only problem would be that your luggage would have to be held back pending clearance which might muck up the boarding process. 
Having said that it would be a pain if this had to happen on rejoining the ship at every port.

7 hours ago, Sailorgrl7392 said:

So while I respect your thoughts on what should happen before the cruise industry starts again I agree and disagree with you on a couple of things. I think you kind of need to be realistic with your ideas. (Well, I actually was trying to be realistic; it's time for a new normal) a cruise ship is only so big and they only want to spend so much money.(the entire cruise line industry is close to total financial elminination; tens and tens of billions of debt, taking on billions more to weather the storm, not even operating; I guess it's their choice) while the cruise lines can learn from this and make changes they also need to be realistic.(Yep, prioritize) because at the end of the day the more things they try to make people do, the more likely it is for people to lie. (Yep also, as noted by others above, "other people" are a risk to you by boarding sick and subsequent personal hygiene).

5.  The cruise lines announce long overdue changes to operating protocals for sanitization; thermal scan to board, a health officer and staff to perform at dining venues as a matter of course, stop looking the other way on the pre-boarding questions for the clearly sick signators at the check in counter, new world buffet (people simply can't be trusted to 100% comply, automation, ship staff (with adequate screening), riddance of salt and pepper grinders and shakers (paper ones just fine thank you)-no this is really annoying. i hated when they did this on princess when a flu outbreak came onboard, sorry (Well, we will see what they do), specialty restaurant protocals (waitstaff don't  belong 'busing, then serving; separate busers, runners and wait staff) and 100% enforced hand washing for patrons and staff, etc.-I agree with you on the follow: They shouldn't turn a blind eye at the pre boarding questionaires. I think a lot of people lie about it because they dont want to cancel a cruise. I don't blame them. I feel like they could do it better. i think they can enforce it but how. people will lie on the questionnaires they are asking for over 70 so how can you get people to be honest?if they enforce it at the ports its gonna need more man power. more man power and more resources = more money the cruise line doesn't want to spend. (as noted above, they've essential evaporated all of the net assets they'd accumulated over decades in a MATTER OF LITTLE MORE THAN A  MONTH) they are all about their bottom line. (Again, there is no bottom line if they're out of business and have no revenues). 

5*  Shoes!  Spraying washy on half of the returnee's from excursions looks and sound so nice.  However, what's on the bottom of the shoes (local ingredients, low quality sanitary facilities, etc.) get on to the floors, rugs, etc. all over the ship immediately and, after such contact, spreads to clothing, hands, etc.- i understand hands but why shoes? (It is one of the most overlooked risks as explanined right above)  how are you going to enforce this? (Spray the bottom of shoes/sandals to enter and reboard the ship)  it's hard enough to get everyone to wash their hands.(non-compliance passengers should enjoy the welcomed upcoming port for departure if they can't be bother to wash their hands, cover their sneezes or let someone spray the bottom of their footwear; IMO, are these real challenges?) im sure people won't be pleased to have to walk through something, get their feet/shoes sprayed. while a nice idea i feel its impossible to enforce. and you might say oh when people walk aboard, its easier said then done. 

6.  The cruise lines massively upgrade their medical facilities; including, but not limited to, providing the spacial resources for the demographis of the cruising customers and, to a much lesser extent, even addressing a growing issue by forming a co-venture in the industry to pay for their own medical evacuations.- how and why? they only have so much room. and to be honest ships aren't meant to be a place where you should go for every issue. more like in case of emergencys. the staff in the medical center are trained and all the marine officers are as well. while i could see upgrading to make it more up to date i don't agree with anymore than that. you shouldn't really be cruising if an emergency is a high risk for you. (We've cruised a lot in the past 5-7 years; generally when schools, colleges are "in" and non-holidays and vacations.  The % of passengers that have age-related obvious difficulties already task the medical staff and facilities.  Also, not popular, a noticeable % of passengers are 2-3 times their preferred weight which makes the body at risk so many health enhanced risks; so, cruise lines will have to invest in more physical and medical personnel resources)  harsh yes but true. medical evacs are super expensive. it's not an easy task to get someone off the ship by helicoper. thats why they have insurance for issues like this. no one should make this a joint venture. if you need it buy insurance. no cruise line is going to be willing to take on the insurance risk by saying they are willing to take medicvacs on. sorry. buy insurance. (One of the two major reasons the cruise lines BIG 3 didn't get US aid in the current $2T was the incredible cost to US ships (Navy and Coast Guard, and Helicopters) that is not even remotely minutely reumbursed.  The other is CCL, RCCL and NCL are NOT INCORPORATED or FLAGGED in the US and, essentially pay NO US CORPORATE TAXES and almost NO Payroll Taxes.)

I hope using RED doesn't reflect a negative tone, just wanted to make it easier to separate my reply from your reply.  Thank you for you responses.