NEXT CRUISE - ARE YOU KIDDING? Seriously.

Formula280SS

20 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Unfortunately, I do not believe my wife and I will ever cruise again.  With how long this virus may last (some medical experts are saying as long as three years), and with the devastation this will have on the global economy, I do not think our finances will ever recover enough to justify another cruise.  The double whammy of the 2008-2010 recession and this historic drop has destroyed our hope for a retirement that would include luxuries like a cruise.

Things have changed on the NCL forum since that poll a couple weeks ago, where 90% voted to cruise during the pandemic.  I am pleasantly surprised how quickly everyone has become aware of the situation.  There are premium cruise line forums, with a majority still desperate to cruise, and would pour into a cruise ship next week if you would let them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

If they will cruise, I will go.  Not living scared

Isn’t that the same type of thing people currently or recently stuck on ships said who booked and didn’t cancel late February and early March cruises?

Edited by Jaxweb
  • Like 3

On 3/30/2020 at 8:34 AM, smplybcause said:

But the odds are the virus got on a ship via an airplane. Planes are responsible for spreading the virus so much. If one fears going on a cruise ship because of the virus they definitely should not fly on a plane. 

Agree.  If you look at the chart, by definition as Australia is a series of islands, all of the cases arrived either by plane or ship.  There is no way to drive or walk here.  What has happened is people have arrived from overseas to Australia by plane, some have boarded ships and have unknowingly passed the virus on to other passengers.  The graph minus the cruise ship cases, shows where people came from.  What is not clear though is whether people caught this virus on the plane or brought it from their homes or the places they have visited.  The difference between planes and ships is the length of exposure and the number of people you are exposed to.   Like many countries Australia has now banned any non-residents from coming to Australia until the crisis is resolved and has severely restricted travel within the country.  You can only catch a plane if you have a good reason https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-travellers.  As many people as possible are working from home.   This link also shows which flights to Australia and within Australia had cases onboard and even which seat rows.  To be honest, I am a bit shocked how much apparent travel is still happening within the US.  (The graph is from https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-current-situation-and-case-numbers)  

This graph shows Australian cases of COVID-19 that were acquired overseas by the region or country they were acquired in. See the Description field on the publication page for a full description

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Like 1