Oasis of the seas crew members positive for Covid-19

BND

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Unclear.  Building off M8's response, they would have needed to have test kits delivered to the ship, testing performed, kits returned to shore, 2+ days for results (assuming they did not get faster responding tests).  Unless the test kits were separately transported to Oasis (possible), they would not (likely) have had enough time between dropping off crew in Miami and the positive cases being reported. 

Has Royal officially confirmed anything, or is this all just word of mouth reporting from crew onboard?

Disclaimer...I'm guessing just like most everyone else here.

Well stated. Exactly my point. Some important pieces missing. 

32 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Here is a link to it: https://www.maritimesc.org/page-18081/8867715

Wow that is pretty amazing. But not a total surprise, everyone is kind of buttoning up. And as I recall, at the meeting with VP Pence, the cruise lines said that they would be responsible. I sort of doubt if the Bahamas, Panama or Liberia will offer much in the way of assistance to them.  

Attached is the PDF.  And I agree with you, doubt the Bahamas, Panama or Liberia will help.  In fact Panama already declined the Zaandam, would only allow them to cross the canal with everyone inside their cabins.

Coast Guard.pdf

Thoughts and healthy vibes going out to the Captain and crew and medical staffs of these ships.   I hope that everyone is okay and can weather the storm on board.

Florida is in its own world of hurt right now so I understand not wanting to accept more people but if any are Americans -  I think that the level 4 travel advisory to return home should mean that they can get in!    That might not help the crew as much but the America passengers on carnival owned ships (Holland America, etc) should be allowed in somewhere!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Fanpower said:

I noticed that also. She is now at 13.5 knots and due east of the Port. 

Tender is just arriving.  Seems that every day the tender comes into port.  Praying that they may be delivering tests and not crew.  

12 minutes ago, Snuffie said:

Tender is just arriving.  Seems that every day the tender comes into port.  Praying that they may be delivering tests and not crew.  

Me too! Something has to happen 😧

On Thursday, when they were offloading the critically ill from the Zaandam, I noticed another ambulance at a different location with a tender alongside. At first I thought they were taking one of the Zaandam's people to a tender for some reason, but when I asked on the HAL board they said it was actually an Oasis tender bringing someone in at the same time as the HAL operation. Here's couple pictures of that endeavor:

image.thumb.png.53c80d304a13c821bff4db6e

image.png.06371de957b349b19249f1401d8c63

(Here's wishing any/all ships crews resolution wherever they are, including these in Australia: "At least 18 foreign-registered ships were docked or floating in Australian waters, with an approximate total of 15,000 crew on board. In New South Wales, the Voyager of the Seas and Celebrity Solstice, with approximately 1,200 crew each, were docked at Port Kembla near Wollongong, while the Radiance of the Seas (894 crew), Ovation of the Seas (1,500 crew), Spectrum of the Seas (1,551 crew) and Carnival Splendour (1,150 crew) were off the coast.

As of Wednesday, six crew members from the Radiance of the Seas had been brought ashore to hospital, and there had been 79 confirmed cases of coronavirus linked to the Ovation of the Seas.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/apr/01/coronavirus-calls-to-repatriate-15000-crew-members-from-cruise-ships-off-australias-coast

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Me too! Something has to happen 😧

On Thursday, when they were offloading the critically ill from the Zaandam, I noticed another ambulance at a different location with a tender alongside. At first I thought they were taking one of the Zaandam's people to a tender for some reason, but when I asked on the HAL board they said it was actually an Oasis tender bringing someone in at the same time as the HAL operation. Here's couple pictures of that endeavor:

image.thumb.png.53c80d304a13c821bff4db6e

image.png.06371de957b349b19249f1401d8c63

(Here's wishing any/all ships crews resolution wherever they are, including these in Australia: "At least 18 foreign-registered ships were docked or floating in Australian waters, with an approximate total of 15,000 crew on board. In New South Wales, the Voyager of the Seas and Celebrity Solstice, with approximately 1,200 crew each, were docked at Port Kembla near Wollongong, while the Radiance of the Seas (894 crew), Ovation of the Seas (1,500 crew), Spectrum of the Seas (1,551 crew) and Carnival Splendour (1,150 crew) were off the coast.

As of Wednesday, six crew members from the Radiance of the Seas had been brought ashore to hospital, and there had been 79 confirmed cases of coronavirus linked to the Ovation of the Seas.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/apr/01/coronavirus-calls-to-repatriate-15000-crew-members-from-cruise-ships-off-australias-coast

Yes!  I believe they off loaded to the coast guard station.  Are you at Sky Harbor?

1 minute ago, Snuffie said:

Yes!  I believe they off loaded to the coast guard station.  Are you at Sky Harbor?

No, I was watching the port cams and TV live feed about the Zaandam and was switching back and forth and came upon this and thought "hmm why would they take an ambulance over there? ". I grabbed a screen shot (sorry so blurry) and had to ask the board what I was looking at because it didn't make sense to me that they would load someone from the Zaandam and take them to a tender. That's when they said no, that was an Oasis tender coming in at the same time as the Zaandam was offloading. The ambulance crews had their work cut out that sad night.

At some point I fear Broward County Rescue is going to refuse cruise ship crew; regardless if it's a tender bringing the crew in and not USCG. 

Testing in Florida has been a significant problem; I doubt they can get enough tests out to the ships to confirm what is really going on. 

9 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

At some point I fear Broward County Rescue is going to refuse cruise ship crew; regardless if it's a tender bringing the crew in and not USCG. 

Testing in Florida has been a significant problem; I doubt they can get enough tests out to the ships to confirm what is really going on. 

It seems very foreign to me to consider cutting off care to a particular group of people.  I don't recall ever facing that no matter how over worked.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

It has happened in NY. If you have a heart attack and can not be revived at the scene the ambulances have been told do not bring to hospital. They are overtaxed and can put resources into trying to save someone. Very sobering. 

Yes, but they are still attempting the resusitation. They are not refusing to provide any help. The fact is, with what can be done in the field these days, if a resusitation is unsuccessful, arrival at  a hospital is not likely to change the outcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

It seems very foreign to me to consider cutting off care to a particular group of people.  I don't recall ever facing that no matter how over worked.

Let me ask this.... would you treat a person with COVID19 without PPE? The boss here is using the same mask each day. She cleans it each evening. My son is Nurse in Miami Jackson ICU. They are running low on PPE and masks. They have converted 4 floors for COVID19 patients. South Florida is a hotspot. 

1 hour ago, suesnake2002 said:

It has happened in NY. If you have a heart attack and can not be revived at the scene the ambulances have been told do not bring to hospital. They are overtaxed and can put resources into trying to save someone. Very sobering. 

A lot of the vacant buildings in NYC have many homeless. That group has high COVID19 numbers. Internally, they can’t decide who should respond to calls at these buildings (nobody wants to be exposed). 

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Let me ask this.... would you treat a person with COVID19 without PPE? The boss here is using the same mask each day. She cleans it each evening. My son is Nurse in Miami Jackson ICU. They are running low on PPE and masks. They have converted 4 floors for COVID19 patients. South Florida is a hotspot. 

There is no simple answer to your question. It depends on the setting, how critical the person is, and if someone else was around that could provide tbe same help and had the proper equipment. I have had plenty of interactions with folks under suboptimal conditions over the years. It isn't easy to turn away.

18 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

There is no simple answer to your question. It depends on the setting, how critical the person is, and if someone else was around that could provide tbe same help and had the proper equipment. I have had plenty of interactions with folks under suboptimal conditions over the years. It isn't easy to turn away.

My point is, South Florida is a hot spot and busting at the seams. Don’t you think it’s an undue burden to allow COVID19 off cruise ships into an already overwhelmed area. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Overworked is one thing, overcapacity another. It's not meant to sound cruel or devalue the lives of the crew. There are multiple thousands of crew on ships docked at or in waters very near to South Florida and relying on a strained infrastructure as your only plan is worrisome. 

• Thanks 1