Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

On 3/29/2020 at 4:46 PM, don731 said:

An Ernest K. Gann classic!  The aviation part of the movie is actually fairly accurate (I’m retired airline flight dispatch). 😀

Such a good movie.....with a few politically incorrect lines !  Certainly a bygone era. 

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Amsterdam back live (2 min ago) on the AIS map, stationary just northeast of Durban, South Africa and a bit northwest of the Italian cruise ship MSC Orchestra, also at anchor

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:31.107/centery:-29.736/zoom:13

Thanks, Copper.  What would we do without you???

• Like 1

Was the Amsterdam supposed to do anything but refuel?  If not it should be able to bunker while anchored, which could clear up some red tape.  Durban was on QM2's itinerary and there was some loading of stores and dropping off a few South African crew.  If this isn't necessary that could make things much easier.

Roy

11 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Was the Amsterdam supposed to do anything but refuel?  If not it should be able to bunker while anchored, which could clear up some red tape.  Durban was on QM2's itinerary and there was some loading of stores and dropping off a few South African crew.  If this isn't necessary that could make things much easier.

Roy

7 minutes ago, IllinoisGirl1978 said:

Captain Mercer just posted a blog update

http://captainjonathan.com/

Per his blog, the Amsterdam will need to enter the port for repatriation of some South African crew and will have a few days wait for clearance.

Roy

• Like 1

Captain Mercer was very reflective in his blog update this morning. Made a reference to "happier times". He seems Okay and apparently the crew is well except for one with a tonsil issue.

It was good to hear from him.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

Captain Mercer was very reflective in his blog update this morning. Made a reference to "happier times". He seems Okay and apparently the crew is well except for one with a tonsil issue.

It was good to hear from him.

It might take day's   to get permision to dock he wrote .                                                               r 

Edited by Gail & Marty sailing away

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks for posting -- rather eerie video. Looks like the setting for the beginning of a horror movie, a la "The Shining" but on a cruise ship...

:classic_ohmy::classic_ohmy::classic_ohmy:

it was a bit eerie, and reminded me of those scenes of Titanic under the sea with empty but recognizable spaces where passengers once enjoyed the luxury.

The other thing that struck me the beauty of Amsterdam’s public spaces, especially that Crow’s Nest.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

it was a bit eerie, and reminded me of those scenes of Titanic under the sea with empty but recognizable spaces where passengers once enjoyed the luxury.

The other thing that struck me the beauty of Amsterdam’s public spaces, especially that Crow’s Nest.

What part of Captain's current blog are you clicking on to bring up these pictures?  I couldn't find anything.  Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

What part of Captain's current blog are you clicking on to bring up these pictures?  I couldn't find anything.  Thanks.

On this date, and near the bottom of the post is a 10 minute video.

https://captainjonathan.com/and-on-the-8th-day-30th-march/

3 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Three pictures of the ship's exterior came up, but none of the interior.  Was I supposed to have clicked on some additional site?

Near the bottom you should  have something like this:

Capture.JPG.01782b7972a3eaea5731001c341d5d22.JPG

Be sure you are on the post "And on the 8th day...."  If you just go to the blog the regular way you get a newer post.  Click on either arrows on that image.

Roy

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Be sure you are on the post "And on the 8th day...."  If you just go to the blog the regular way you get a newer post.  Click on either arrows on that image.

Roy

Exactly what Roy said.  Thanks for helping out.

Hi, John.  Thank you, John - and John, for both sharing such reliable information.  It is comforting in the midst of so much uncertainty.  Hugs to Hayati.

Stay well.

Barbara

Edited by bcummin

44 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Thanks, Roy.  Back to the drawing board.

7 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

The video only shows when you don’t enlarge it. Just bring up the 2nd to late entry and then read it. The video everyone is talking about is the 2nd video. If you enlarge the blog, you get a repeat of the first video. Don’t ask me why, I am not a techie! Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

As for photos of the crew and what they have been doing, Philip Stolte has posted quite a few on his Facebook page. Maybe somebody who is on Facebook and friends with Philip and knows how to copy and then post them on this page, can share them.  Unfortunately, I don’t have that ability.

Philip had them getting the seat covers cleaned. There was an unloading of old unused costumes for everyone to take. Photos from the Lido, etc.