Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

He said he would do at least one more, Father, kinda like a recap of his last days onboard

I hope he does.  I would love to read it. I think he lives in Florida.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Himself said:

I hope he does.  I would love to read it. I think he lives in Florida.

I'm pretty sure it's North Carolina.  He is a good friend of Rick Spath, a cruise director on Crystal Serenity.  (They worked together on Rotterdam 5).

Roy

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I'm pretty sure it's North Carolina.  He is a good friend of Rick Spath, a cruise director on Crystal Serenity.  (They worked together on Rotterdam 5).

Roy

I believe he lives on Meredith Island in Florida.  I remember Rick Spath well.  I think when he left HAL he went to Disney--I know he did.  Nice to hear he is at Crystal now.  He was a very goof Cruise Director.  I wish HAL had him back.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Himself said:

I believe he lives on Meredith Island in Florida.  I remember Rick Spath well.  I think when he left HAL he went to Disney--I know he did.  Nice to hear he is at Crystal now.  He was a very goof Cruise Director.  I wish HAL had him back.  

Rick was the first cruise director for Disney.  He's been with Crystal for about 10-12 years.

Rick and I have a special relationship.    It starts with a string of cruises in 2014, a B2B on Crystal (Symphony Bali to  Singapore and Serenity Singapore to Cape Town}, followed by a segment on the Amsterdam Cape Town to Ft. Lauderdale.  The Cruise Director on the Symphony always asked in the opening show "if anyone has sailed with me before come on and tell me about it".  I mentioned to him that I had sailed with Rick on the Rotterdam in 1997 and said "do you think Rick would like to hear about that?" 

After I transferred to Serenity the first day Rick called me aside and called out to me by name.  He had clearly been tipped off by the Symphony Cruise Director and was waiting for me.  It's been a special bond ever since.  The last day he asked who was the Captain on the Amsterdam and when I said it was Captain Merson he asked me to give Captain Jonathan his best wishes.

Rick is the ultimate people person.

Roy

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

You're thinking of retired Captain Peter Bos, the huge F1 fan, who is in NC. Capt. Mercer is in FL

29 minutes ago, Himself said:

That's why went to Disney, Father 😉

Goofy | Mickey and Friends Wiki | Fandom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

You're thinking of retired Captain Peter Bos, the huge F1 fan, who is in NC. Capt. Mercer is in FL

Ah, now I think I see where I was mistaken.  Captain Bos was on my Rotterdam V cruise (along with Captain Albert as Staff Captain) so that's how golf in NC would have come into the conversation.

Roy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Himself said:

I remember Rick Spath well. 

I do as well.  Cannot be sure when I first sailed with him, probably on Rotterdam V, but not sure of the date.  (Maybe Alaska, 1996?)  Very proficient in his job, very much a people person; whenever I embarked a HAL ship, I always hoped that I would learn that he was the CD for that cruise.

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Ah, now I think I see where I was mistaken.  Captain Bos was on my Rotterdam V cruise (along with Captain Albert as Staff Captain) so that's how golf in NC would have come into the conversation.

Roy

Pieter Bos was a great Captain.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Rick was the first cruise director for Disney.  He's been with Crystal for about 10-12 years.

Rick and I have a special relationship.    It starts with a string of cruises in 2014, a B2B on Crystal (Symphony Bali to  Singapore and Serenity Singapore to Cape Town}, followed by a segment on the Amsterdam Cape Town to Ft. Lauderdale.  The Cruise Director on the Symphony always asked in the opening show "if anyone has sailed with me before come on and tell me about it".  I mentioned to him that I had sailed with Rick on the Rotterdam in 1997 and said "do you think Rick would like to hear about that?" 

After I transferred to Serenity the first day Rick called me aside and called out to me by name.  He had clearly been tipped off by the Symphony Cruise Director and was waiting for me.  It's been a special bond ever since.  The last day he asked who was the Captain on the Amsterdam and when I said it was Captain Merson he asked me to give Captain Jonathan his best wishes.

Rick is the ultimate people person.

Roy

I was only with him once and he was a class act.

55 minutes ago, Himself said:

Pieter Bos was a great Captain.

He was a great Captain - my memories of him are mainly on the Noordam.  I will always remember him as the "Wash Your Hands" captain.  How right he was.

2 hours ago, ozcruizer said:

He was a great Captain - my memories of him are mainly on the Noordam.  I will always remember him as the "Wash Your Hands" captain.  How right he was.

We got to sail Alaska with him twice and he was captain on our first cruise. When I boarded Veendam for Antarctica my email to my husband was “We have Captain Bos, he’s got the keys to the ultimate RV, and he’s taking us sightseeing!” And boy, did he!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

One of the best..

Yes, he was, plus his crew loved him and to work for him! One a particular cold day in Ketchikan with the wind howling one day, he went down the gangway and marched into the Tongass Trading Co. When he came out, he had bought watch caps/beanies (great for cold ears) and gloves for the entire security team out of his own pocket. Really good and caring gentleman and one awesome skipper!  

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yes, he was, plus his crew loved him and to work for him! One a particular cold day in Ketchikan with the wind howling one day, he went down the gangway and marched into the Tongass Trading Co. When he came out, he had bought watch caps/beanies (great for cold ears) and gloves for the entire security team out of his own pocket. Really good and caring gentleman and one awesome skipper!  

He was a class guy and the greatest when covering Alaska.  He would point out the bears and the hump back Whales.  Absolutly the Best.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Himself said:

He was a class guy and the greatest when covering Alaska.  He would point out the bears and the hump back Whales.  Absolutly the Best.

Both of our Alaska cruises with him at the helm he offered a bottle of wine to the first person who spotted a bear in Glacier Bay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Both of our Alaska cruises with him at the helm he offered a bottle of wine to the first person who spotted a bear in Glacier Bay.

That would be Captain Bos---one class act.

12 hours ago, ozcruizer said:

If he had a coat of arms, that would be the motto at the bottom.  Even when there were norovirus cases on board, he took precautions and kept everyone else free of the disease.  He contained it, much to the chagrin of some.

12 hours ago, Himself said:

If he had a coat of arms, that would be the motto at the bottom.  Even when there were norovirus cases on board, he took precautions and kept everyone else free of the disease.  He contained it, much to the chagrin of some.

Ha ha. When we were in South America he let us know DAILY how well we were doing with washing our hands. He gave daily counts of how many times the hand wash machines were being used- and a couple times told us it wasn’t enough! And he would be watching!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1