Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

On 7/4/2020 at 2:28 AM, Indianadaytripper said:

Just wondering did anyone else send any mail from Nuku Alofa, Tonga on 28th of February while on the world cruise. We sent 7 cards and no one we sent ever received. Thought our luggage was the the only thing adrift, mail evidently was stopped too.

Yes, our neighbor received a card from Tonga. We mailed all our cards at the Post Office not at the desk at the port. Had thought of buying more cards and mailing them, but they were all out of stamps in the late afternoon at the small temporary post office at the port.

2 hours ago, REOVA said:

Does anyone know what the passenger ship in front of the Amsterdam is? Its between the cruise ship and tender 10. 

Microsoft Edge 7_8_2020 6_38_46 PM.png

These "ships" show up and then disappear...then show up again.  I think they are a "ghost" of the other ships.  They are too close to be an actual ship and I've seen them before in Manila Bay.  Usually I see them for a short time after one of the ships pulls into it's anchorage spot but then it disappears.  At this anchorage is the first time I've seen them "show up" and then "go away" and then "show up" again.  Odd....

Linda R.

6 hours ago, Storylady said:

Yes, our neighbor received a card from Tonga. We mailed all our cards at the Post Office not at the desk at the port. Had thought of buying more cards and mailing them, but they were all out of stamps in the late afternoon at the small temporary post office at the port.

thanks we mailed ours on the dock in the basket, after buying cards and stamps at the post office 

3 hours ago, michaelfl said:

probably a waste disposal ship, supply vessel or a tanker, and they might go from one ship to another

No, blue is only for passenger ships.  Possibly an Amsterdam tender that was in the water briefly.

Roy

7 minutes ago, oofroggie said:

Since I can not remember what I packed when I open up my suitcases it will be like opening packages at Christmas.

Us as well.  I just hope they all make it home in one piece.

14 hours ago, REOVA said:

Does anyone know what the passenger ship in front of the Amsterdam is? Its between the cruise ship and tender 10. 

Microsoft Edge 7_8_2020 6_38_46 PM.png

That ship is known as "the Flying Dutchman," De Vliegende Hollander" in Dutch. She's legendary and is closely linked to the 17th (Golden for the Dutchies) Century "Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie (VOC) the Dutch East India Company in English. She appears and disappears as she pleases 😉  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

That ship is known as "the Flying Dutchman," De Vliegende Hollander" in Dutch. She's legendary and is closely linked to the 17th (Golden for the Dutchies) Century "Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie (VOC) the Dutch East India Company in English. She appears and disappears as she pleases 😉  

hahahahaha.....and johnny depp at the wheel......

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, socalcruisers2 said:

Is the luggage transfer being done at anchor?   I didn't see the Amsterdam docked in Singapore on any of the various websites

It would appear so.  The containers are on a barge.

3 minutes ago, socalcruisers2 said:

Is the luggage transfer being done at anchor?   I didn't see the Amsterdam docked in Singapore on any of the various websites

Yes, with the barge alongside like is often done for bunkering. Amsterdam hasn't been able to dock anywhere since her call at Durban, South Africa on 09 Apr 2020