Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Not on Facebook and have no intention of doing so.  If the Captain can book there, why can he not post on Cruise Critic?

This situation with the sudden lack of information from the Captain simply does not seem right to me.  

You choose not to be on FB. He chooses not to be here. I don’t see any problem.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

This situation with the sudden lack of information from the Captain simply does not seem right to me.  

The fact that the Captain who was writing a blog is NOT the current Captain of the Amsterdam and is not even on board might explain that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

The fact that the Captain who was writing a blog is NOT the current Captain of the Amsterdam and is not even on board might explain that.

yes, very correct. and how many years are we going to chatter about the man ???  i say again - why dont we just leave him alone and let him do whatever he likes to do......even if some people dont understand that.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, michaelfl said:

yes, very correct. and how many years are we going to chatter about the man ???  i say again - why dont we just leave him alone and let him do whatever he likes to do......even if some people dont understand that.......

The main reason that Captain Mercer continues to be a topic of conversation on this thread is because so many enjoyed his blog and he apparently developed such nice personal relationships with passengers and crew on the Amsterdam WCs.  I'm with you regarding let him post when he gets around to it.  But I do not think that those looking forward to that post on his blog have a problem.  I think most of us get it...he's enjoying his retirement, as he should, and we'll read his next post when he gets to writing it.  JMO  Cherie    

• Like 1

I sailed with Captain Mercer when he was the Master of the Nieuw Amsterdam.  I came to respect him after attending the Q&A that was held in the Crow's Nest during my cruise.  I am interested in learning, as the old radio commentator Paul Harvey said at the close of his broadcasts.."Now, you know the rest of the story"  from Captain Mercer.  

• Like 1

Amsterdam now at the Pasir Gudang anchorage off the southeastern tip of Malaysia, her home away from home until a clearer picture arrives as to what the future holds for her. To the west is Singapore's Changi International Airport and to the south Batam and Bintan Islands, Indonesia 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cccole said:

Will the crew be allowed off to enjoy some "free time?"  Lots of options...Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia.    I hope so.  Cherie

NO. Once they leave the ship they are off. O. F. F. There is NO coming back. Right now they are safe and healthy onboard - and they want to keep it that way. No one went ashore in Fremantle, not even to do the normal wheelchair assistance. Good grief.

"Good grief."  Yikes.  Sorry to have said something that was so outrageous. Thank you for the "kind" response Sir PMP.     I thought possibly all crew members might  be tested regularly and have a bit of freedom.  I know it was wishful thinking but they may be there for a very long time.  I'm sure they are well taken care of and the captain's wife seems to be trying to keep their spirits up.  Cherie  

24 minutes ago, cccole said:

"Good grief."  Yikes.  Sorry to have said something that was so outrageous. Thank you for the "kind" response Sir PMP.     I thought possibly all crew members might  be tested regularly and have a bit of freedom.  I know it was wishful thinking but they may be there for a very long time.  I'm sure they are well taken care of and the captain's wife seems to be trying to keep their spirits up.  Cherie  

I’m glad you realize how “outrageous” that suggestion was. They are keeping basically in their own cabins (passenger cabins) and meals are delivered to them. Going ashore... NOT going to happen. 🤯

2 minutes ago, Mary Ellen said:

I’m glad you realize how “outrageous” that suggestion was. They are keeping basically in their own cabins (passenger cabins) and meals are delivered to them. Going ashore... NOT going to happen. 🤯

Wow.  Have a nice weekend.  Do you know how may areas there are around where the Amsterdam is where a tender could take crew and they could get off the ship for a few hours without being in contact with anyone?  Yes, we know they are in passenger cabins but thanks for the reminder.   I think that crew on board now are also responsible for maintaining the ship so they do get out, thank goodness.  And, I do not believe they are considered indentured servants.  Again, have a nice weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cccole said:

Will the crew be allowed off to enjoy some "free time?"  Lots of options...Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia.    I hope so.  Cherie

They, the crew, are 100% subjected to the health regulations of the governments of those three countries. Under the current climate, zero chance of having any shore leave. Perhaps if that climate improves in due time........ 

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

They, the crew, are 100% subjected to the health regulations of the governments of those three countries. Under the current climate, zero chance of having any shore leave. Perhaps if that climate improves in due time........ 

I'm hoping that the climate improves and they are allowed a bit of time off the ship.   Cherie

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cccole said:

I'm hoping that the climate improves and they are allowed a bit of time off the ship.   Cherie

I'm sure you're not the only one with those hopes! Take care and be safe Cherie! 😉

8 hours ago, michaelfl said:

When I wrote the post you quoted, I originally had this almost word for word as the second half of the post. It was deleted at the last minute because it might have been taken as too snarky. Thank you for saying it for me! 😄

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

I'm sure you're not the only one with those hopes! Take care and be safe Cherie! 😉

Thanks John.  As much as I love room service, I think if I were confined to a ship for months I would be ready to hijack a tender and take it for some figure 8's in the bay.  I hope you are also staying healthy and safe.  Cherie.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cccole said:

Btw, the only crew who are "confined to their cabins" and get their meals served to them there is the small percentage of "newcomers" who were allowed on by the Indonesian and Filipino governments while Amsterdam was anchored there and are on a mandatory fourteen day quarantine. All other crew are doing their daily work in the various areas of the ship and gather in areas such as the Crew Mess, Petty Officers (PO) Bar and Officers Bar (OB) in the evening hrs while still social distancing  

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

Re: Amsterdam, so the original plan was to anchor in an extended layup off Malaysia. As has so often been the case since March of this year, those plans have been changed. Maasdam, Veendam, Amsterdam and Rotterdam are now (or will be, in case of the latter two) all heading for the Suez Canal and, once in the Med, for a layup off Cyprus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Amsterdam now at the Pasir Gudang anchorage off the southeastern tip of Malaysia, her home away from home until a clearer picture arrives as to what the future holds for her. To the west is Singapore's Changi International Airport and to the south Batam and Bintan Islands, Indonesia 

Looks like they may be heading for Suez now. Did the luggage get offloaded near Singapore or are they still carrying it?

24 minutes ago, REOVA said:

Looks like they may be heading for Suez now. Did the luggage get offloaded near Singapore or are they still carrying it?

There were reports and pics that the GWV luggage was off-loaded into shipping containers on a barge which was alongside Amsterdam at her stop in Singapore a couple of days ago 

• Like 1

Copper, thanks so much for your informative reports. Unfortunately too many posts here seem to quickly devolve into sniping or wild guesses. It is alwyas nice when you show up to add an informed piece of information.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

There were reports and pics that the GWV luggage was off-loaded into shipping containers on a barge which was alongside Amsterdam at her stop in Singapore a couple of days ago 

Yep I saw Ali posted pics of the Barge but it looked like supplies and HAL has not sent any official confirmation.  Previously someone was told our luggage was sent on Princess to LA which turned out to be false. Just didn't know if anyone has received factual knowledge on luggage. Seems if they didn't already offload, they will be past MY ports to stop and do it before Suez. ty.