Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

Great to see her in port!  Interestingly enough, Amsterdam is berthed caddy corner from Smit Sitanda, an ocean-going tug/rescue vessel/fireboat belonging to the huge Dutch salvage company Smit Internationale N.V./Royal Boskalis Westminster N.V.

Meanwhile, MSC Orchestra is still off-shore in the Indian Ocean performing her racetrack pattern with only 226 crew onboard. Controversy continues to follow her after having departed Durban with new passengers on 16 Mar 2020 for a five-day cruise to Mozambique, hours after the South African government had published Covid-19 regulations, including a travel ban. She was then allowed to return to Durban on 20 Mar and disembark her 2,408 pax in groups of 100 and being health-screened on 22 Mar 2020

Smit_Siyanda_-_a.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruzingnut said:

Amsterdam is docked.  South African crew will debark and then after fueling and I assume, provisioning, the Amsterdam will depart for Indonesia and the Philippines to drop crew off.  This is such great news in that our crew gets to go home to their families while so many other crew are stranded on ships just hanging out wishing they could go home!  😍  I, for one, will be happy to wait for my luggage....I'll get it eventually as the ship does need to get to Freeport, Bahamas sometime as it's due for dry dock.  I'm not sure, but I think part of this dry dock is the periodically required hull inspection so don't imagine it could be put off for too long.

Linda R.

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 11.28.29 AM.png

Great news

29 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Great news

Where did you get the information that the ship would backtrack several thousand miles to drop off the Indonesian/Philippino crews?  She is slated to go west to FLL.   This makes no sense.  But, then, much of what is happening doesn't, either.

8 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I would have thought, too, that it would make sense to fly staff home to Manila or Jakarta - but then again, maybe she has nothing better to do!

Not really.  The WC's luggage has to go back to FLL.  Where did this backtrack info come from?

7 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I would have thought, too, that it would make sense to fly staff home to Manila or Jakarta - but then again, maybe she has nothing better to do!

Unknown if she's heading back east however, finding flights home for repat crew in these times might be the issue. I'm sure Capt. Mercer will fill us in when he has a chance

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

That's true, and I think I read that President Duterte said he will shoot anyone trying to get into the Philippines!

Wouldn't hold it past "Duterte Harry" or “The Punisher" 😵

1 minute ago, boone2 said:

One if my crew friends on-board has just posted they are on their way to the Philippines/Indonesia to disembark crew

terry

Never a dull moment! By now I suspect that all the WC'ers who were initially trying to take the ship back to FLL may be grateful that HAL refused.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

Never a dull moment! By now I suspect that all the WC'ers who were initially trying to take the ship back to FLL may be grateful that HAL refused.

We came to that conclusion some time ago.  Still think they should have had charter flights.

3 hours ago, boone2 said:

One if my crew friends on-board has just posted they are on their way to the Philippines/Indonesia to disembark crew

terry

Got a email as well. April 26 Manala May 1 Indonesia. They hope.  .😀😀

Edited by Gail & Marty sailing away
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Got a email as well. April 26 Manala May 1 Indonesia. They hope.  .😀😀

Going from Fremantle to Durban to get gas and now going back to Manila? I don't know...

Just now, Sir PMP said:

Going from Fremantle to Durban to get gas and now going back to Manila? I don't know...

I share your thoughts.  Where's the logic in such a decision?  Fuel and provisions are less expensive than chartering planes?