Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

Hi Bob-

Amsterdam is heading to pass south of Madagascar & onwards to Asia?

Already 4 x RCC,  1 Celebrity,  3 x P&O Au.,  3 x Princess,   2 x Carnival & Queen Elizabeth are all heading for ports in Philippines,

Indonesia & Singapore to reduce crews from Australia.  Singapore is enabling crew changes after restricting them.

There are two places with similar names - Bataan [W. side Manilla Bay] & Bataam  [opposite Singapore] in Indonesia.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Indianadaytripper said:

He sold his book on this past 2020 world cruise and yes he’s on his way to retirement 

Just so we understand what you are saying; HAL Captain Jonathan Mercer has written a book about his many years at sea and autographed that book on Amsterdam prior to the current GWV terminating in Freemantle. Do you happen to have the title of that book? Much obliged!

59 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Just so we understand what you are saying; HAL Captain Jonathan Mercer has written a book about his many years at sea and autographed that book on Amsterdam prior to the current GWV terminating in Freemantle. Do you happen to have the title of that book? Much obliged!

Yes he wrote a book which was sold on the Amsterdam during the World Cruise. I think it's called "A Captain's Story" but our copy is still in our luggage on the ship so can't confirm that. I do have a scanned copy of the When and Where that has an "ad" for the Coffee Chat and Book Signing.  Of course after this year he really does need to write another one.

When and Where - Day 31 - 2 3 20 - Sea Day006.jpg

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, SharonN said:

Yes he wrote a book which was sold on the Amsterdam during the World Cruise. I think it's called "A Captain's Story" but our copy is still in our luggage on the ship so can't confirm that. I do have a scanned copy of the When and Where that has an "ad" for the Coffee Chat and Book Signing.  Of course after this year he really does need to write another one.

Thanks very much for that info Sharon! Much obliged!

Edited by Copper10-8

6 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

My copy is in our luggage can’t recall the name. But I can almost bet he would like to have a second amended printing with the ending not quite done. Gary 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SharonN said:

Well stupid me didn't look at the photo of the book in the ad close enough. Looks like the book is called "A Captain's Journey"  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Captain Mercer mentioned during the 1st book signing that the one on board was a revised, second edition since it's original publication. I would think he'd like to add a chapter for a third edition describing his 'last' HAL WC and all the unexpected events.

I also asked him if he would be coming out of retirement now and then to do Captain Albert type lecture aboard various HAL ships. He smiled and winked at that query and said "anything can happen, Bob".

Keep your eyes 'peeled'.

Be well.

Bob

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Maybe the luggage could stay on till the 2021 world cruise 😀

Before we left the Amsterdam I asked Henk if I could leave my gala dresses on board for the Grand Africa followed by the 2021 world. He actually paused for a moment before saying "no."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

The Amsterdam is out of AIS range but there's a ship picked up by satellite that has to be her just passing the southern tip of Madagascar.

Roy

cruise mapper.com confirms that it is the Amsterdam south of Madagascar.

Seems that there was another change in plans.  Now Singapore???? and what else is

next.  They are still trying to get the crew home.  It sounds now that it is a long

hard grind.  Sending our best to the crew and wonderful Captain.  Safe travels.

• Like 2

Which reminds me, a question for folks that has luggage still aboard.

When the FedEx person delivers our luggage sometime in July, or so it seems, do we quarantine the bags for two weeks on the front porch or backyard with caution tape prior to opening?

Kidding...

Onward we go!

Be well.

Bob & the Mrs.

3 hours ago, Storylady said:

Restaurant Manager Philip Stolte posted this morning on  FB that the “Flying Dutchman”, aka Amsterdam, is going to Jakarta, Bali and Manila.

An interesting thought from the MDR Manager.  Just this morning, I wondered what the "Flying Dutchman" aka Amsterdam was doing today. 

It is half way between Indonesia and Tanzania. Probably you have heard of Diego Garcia the largest atoll occupied by U.K. and US military. There are no permanent inhabitants.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the only (that I know of) aircraft carrier ever to make a port call in Diego Garcia. USS Saratoga in December 1985. Beautiful beaches.

97f56d9149ce4dcc1a1a28d4957fcca9.jpg

We all bought pith helmets - some folks ran out and bought tropical khaki even though we were only there a week.

0676b6d19807681da355e368f5d8be56.jpg11a9ac138ccbe99a68d795e5a48c0e30.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Storylady said:

Restaurant Manager Philip Stolte posted this morning on  FB that the “Flying Dutchman”, aka Amsterdam, is going to Jakarta, Bali and Manila.

On his personal FB page? Captain Jonathan was hoping they could do that but he had no confirmation when he wrote in his blog. I have fond memories of the Amsterdam. I don't remember everyone's name but Gan in the dining room, Hotel Director Henk and Concierge Joy. They made my Asia and Pacific cruise memorable.

3 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I was on the only (that I know of) aircraft carrier ever to make a port call in Diego Garcia. USS Saratoga in December 1985. Beautiful beaches.

97f56d9149ce4dcc1a1a28d4957fcca9.jpg

We all bought pith helmets - some folks ran out and bought tropical khaki even though we were only there a week.

0676b6d19807681da355e368f5d8be56.jpg11a9ac138ccbe99a68d795e5a48c0e30.jpg

That would have been a memorable experience. 

4 hours ago, Floridiana said:

On his personal FB page? Captain Jonathan was hoping they could do that but he had no confirmation when he wrote in his blog. I have fond memories of the Amsterdam. I don't remember everyone's name but Gan in the dining room, Hotel Director Henk and Concierge Joy. They made my Asia and Pacific cruise memorable.

Yes, Philip Stolte has been posting some photos of the crew and periodic updates on FB. When it was announced that they couldn’t dock at Batam, Indonesia, he called the Mx

Amsterdam, the Flying Dutchman, due to the story of the ghostly ship that can’t dock anywhere.