What do you order from the deli?

crusinpsychRN

I have not cruised on Carnival since the deli changed menus, but I do like the new increased menu, with much more options.  could find lots of things on there, but I do love Cuban sandwich, so that will probably be where I start, whenever I can get back on a Carnival cruise.

I tried the deli for the first time on Horizon earlier this month. Prior to that cruise, nothing really ever caught my eye (old or new menu), so I never bothered, but I wanted to give it a try. My wife got the classic grilled cheese one night and it was by far the worst grilled cheese we've ever tasted. I don't know how you mess up something so simple, but it was terrible. I had the buffalo chicken sandwich (minus the tomato jam). It was pretty good, had a decent kick to it, but not too much. I've had better at other places, but still good.

6 hours ago, Joebucks said:

The Deli is very underrated. Remember when the change was considered a "cutback?" The new menu is way better.

If I remember right, when they first made the change, a lot of people were reporting that they were forcing you to take the sandwich exactly as it was made according to the menu. They weren't letting anyone make changes to individual sandwiches. Some were saying that they were pre-made and wrapped in plastic wrap. Maybe that's what sparked the "cutback" comments. I'm glad Carnival moved passed that concept.

3 hours ago, crusinpsychRN said:

Wow! I didn't now they have that. It'll be a sure thing next trip. Thanks!

It's called a Cubano Mixto and has roasted pork, ham, Swiss cheese, pickles, and yellow mustard.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I tried the deli for the first time on Horizon earlier this month. Prior to that cruise, nothing really ever caught my eye (old or new menu), so I never bothered, but I wanted to give it a try. My wife got the classic grilled cheese one night and it was by far the worst grilled cheese we've ever tasted. I don't know how you mess up something so simple, but it was terrible. I had the buffalo chicken sandwich (minus the tomato jam). It was pretty good, had a decent kick to it, but not too much. I've had better at other places, but still good.

A long time ago, they used to make a really good grilled cheese at the deli. On my last cruise though, I haven’t tried one from the deli.

Echoing similar thoughts, I also never understood how they messed up the grilled cheese so much when ordering it from room service. Even back when Carnival didn’t really have an expanded menu, other cruise lines provided more complex items without issue and Carnival couldn’t even make a grilled cheese...?

18 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

If I remember right, when they first made the change, a lot of people were reporting that they were forcing you to take the sandwich exactly as it was made according to the menu. They weren't letting anyone make changes to individual sandwiches. Some were saying that they were pre-made and wrapped in plastic wrap. Maybe that's what sparked the "cutback" comments. I'm glad Carnival moved passed that concept.

I think I just completed my 3rd or 4th cruise with the new menu. Nothing about the process has changed. People like to associate "pre-made" with the concept of what you get in a gas station, prepackaged. All it is is that the employees are using their downtime to assemble sandwhiches for busier times. Whether they slap that meat on the bun while you watch it, or 30 minutes earlier honestly makes no difference beyond the perception some decide to create. I have also never seen them deny a request to make something different.

5 hours ago, crusinpsychRN said:

They need at least 2 people in the deli and it rarely happens. When I did see a 2nd person she was rearranging items, not preparing food for guests.

We were on the Horizon earlier this month and the 2-3 times we went (usually late, after 10pm), they had at least 3 or 4 of them back there. They were pretty good at keeping everyone moving. I was also surprised to see 3-4 of them working the pizzeria. We've always only ever seen one making pizzas late at night on smaller ships. But even though they had a few making them on Horizon, late night lines still took 10 minutes sometimes...but it takes time to cook a pizza, so that's the nature of the beast.

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2020 at 9:36 AM, Joebucks said:

I think I just completed my 3rd or 4th cruise with the new menu. Nothing about the process has changed. People like to associate "pre-made" with the concept of what you get in a gas station, prepackaged. All it is is that the employees are using their downtime to assemble sandwhiches for busier times. Whether they slap that meat on the bun while you watch it, or 30 minutes earlier honestly makes no difference beyond the perception some decide to create. I have also never seen them deny a request to make something different.

I disagree. A pre-made sandwich is nothing close to a freshly made one.

13 minutes ago, crusinpsychRN said:

no doubt, but they will make a fresh sandwich on request. Pre made with condiments I don't like is unacceptable. 

33 minutes ago, crusinpsychRN said:

While in general, I would agree with your statement, I'd bet most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test between "pre-assembled" and "freshly made". Like I said before, it's almost like people associate a pre-made one with a prepackaged one you'd find at a gas station. Meanwhile, the freshly made one is being sliced as you wait and placed on bread that just came out of the oven.

In reality, there is little to no difference if it was assembled a half hour before or not. It's the same ingredients. It's just drawing up preconceived notions.