Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Solent Richard

Queen Victoria current location

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Well, this is getting interesting. I just noticed QV's destination on AIS has changed to "GB SOU" (Southampton). And the Southampton VTS website is now showing QV is scheduled to arrive back at berth 44 on 11-Apr-20 at 14:30. Berth 44 is directly across from the Ocean Terminal which means she would be docked next to Britannia. The schedule has her staying there until 17-April-20. Let's see what happens tomorrow as plans seem to be changing often now.

 

Berth 44 is where Titanic sailed from on 10th April 1912.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a hazy day, but QV should be sailing past my home shortly; I'll keep a lookout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, IB2 said:

It's a hazy day, but QV should be sailing past my home shortly; I'll keep a lookout.

Yes, there she is in the mist.  First big ship that has been past in ages 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

 

Berth 44 is where Titanic sailed from on 10th April 1912.

As I understand, what is now the Ocean cruise terminal/ dockside was previously the Cunard berth, while the opposite side was the White Star berth back in the days of liner travel! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

ETA now changed to 11.15. 

 

Gorgeous morning out there so we may get a clearer view later.

 

 

And here she is now passing Solent Towers. Regret the heat haze precludes any reasonable photography.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IB2 said:

It's a hazy day, but QV should be sailing past my home shortly; I'll keep a lookout.

 

Together we have them covered IB2.

 

😁😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

 

Together we have them covered IB2.

 

😁😁

The aged Marella Celebration will shortly go by out to sea, presumably turfed from Southampton to make space for the big ships.  Arcadia will return tonight after dark, and my favourite QM2 is due to pass by during Tuesday night.  So cruise ship sightings from my house appear pretty much finished after today.  I’m not expecting a resumption until 2021.

Edited by IB2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ray66 said:

Berth 44 is where Titanic sailed from on 10th April 1912.

 

7 hours ago, SilverHengroen said:

As I understand, what is now the Ocean cruise terminal/ dockside was previously the Cunard berth, while the opposite side was the White Star berth back in the days of liner travel! 

 

Is this possibly the first time a cruise ship/ocean liner has docked at berth 44 since the previous Ocean Terminal (which I understand was on that site) was demolished in 1983?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IB2 said:

The aged Marella Celebration will shortly go by out to sea, presumably turfed from Southampton to make space for the big ships.  Arcadia will return tonight after dark, and my favourite QM2 is due to pass by during Tuesday night.  So cruise ship sightings from my house appear pretty much finished after today.  I’m not expecting a resumption until 2021.

The Marella C appears to be sailing round in circles south of the Isle of Wight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

 

 

Is this possibly the first time a cruise ship/ocean liner has docked at berth 44 since the previous Ocean Terminal (which I understand was on that site) was demolished in 1983?

Possibly so? I was also wondering if one of the Vista ships (QV or Arcadia) could tuck in out the way in the King George V dry dock, they're quite a bit smaller than the Queen Mary that it was designed for, and about the same dimensions of QE2 which certainly used it as a dry dock before the door was taken off! I think it has been used as a 'berth' for some ships more recently (so anchor points presumably there?) but only infrequently. 

 

5 minutes ago, IB2 said:

The Marella C appears to be sailing round in circles south of the Isle of Wight.

Wasn't there a Blackadder joke about sailing round the IoW until everyone is too dizzy to remember if they made it to the new world or not? 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QV has been listed on the Southampton VTS cruise schedule page for the past couple days as now remaining at berth 44 until 17-May-2020 TBA. That's looking a lot like she's found her home for lay-up at berth 44 for the time being rather than at Portland.

 

This morning, Southampton had six cruise ships in port.

Ventura at the berth 106 (Mayflower Terminal)

Marella Explorer at berth 104

QM2 at berth 101 (City Terminal)

Britannia at berth 46 (Ocean Terminal)

QV at berth 44

Azura at berth 38/9 (QEII Terminal)

 

As I'm typing this, Ventura is on her way for a "Local Coastal", due back tomorrow morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

QV has been listed on the Southampton VTS cruise schedule page for the past couple days as now remaining at berth 44 until 17-May-2020 TBA. That's looking a lot like she's found her home for lay-up at berth 44 for the time being rather than at Portland.

 

This morning, Southampton had six cruise ships in port.

Ventura at the berth 106 (Mayflower Terminal)

Marella Explorer at berth 104

QM2 at berth 101 (City Terminal)

Britannia at berth 46 (Ocean Terminal)

QV at berth 44

Azura at berth 38/9 (QEII Terminal)

 

As I'm typing this, Ventura is on her way for a "Local Coastal", due back tomorrow morning.

Despite the lockdown there are still one or two ships coming past.  A large one that I didn’t recognise sailed past toward Southampton yesterday lunchtime.  Two Marella ships have been out and about, and Ventura is coming out of the Solent now.  I would have thought they’d want to lock the ship down and maybe catch up with some maintenance, as best they can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw an interesting You Tube dated 16th April showing QM2 tied up at the Queen Elizabeth Terminal, Interestingly there are other ships tied up near by including Queen Victoria, which I thought had left Southampton. Anyone know what is going on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

I saw an interesting You Tube dated 16th April showing QM2 tied up at the Queen Elizabeth Terminal, Interestingly there are other ships tied up near by including Queen Victoria, which I thought had left Southampton. Anyone know what is going on?

 

Queen Victoria is still at berth 44 next to Britannia in Ocean terminal. Queen Mary 2 is berthed at the City Cruise terminal.

 

Take a look at the webcams sticky above ^^^

 

Also.

 

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-1.391/centery:50.887/zoom:14

 

Edited by Ray66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

I saw an interesting You Tube dated 16th April showing QM2 tied up at the Queen Elizabeth Terminal, Interestingly there are other ships tied up near by including Queen Victoria, which I thought had left Southampton. Anyone know what is going on?

There are Covid-19 cases on board QV, apparently introduced by replacement crew after her return to Southampton from the South American cruise. The presumption is that it's easier to evacuate serious cases if she's docked there rather than parked at Portland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe this has happened recently and I've just missed it, but I see there are now seven cruise ships in Southampton today with the arrival of Silver Spirit.

 

Ventura at berth 106 (Mayflower Terminal)

Silver Spirit at berth 104

Marella Celebration at berth 102

Marella Explorer at berth 101 (City Terminal)

Britannia at berth 46 (Ocean Terminal)

QV at berth 44

Azura at berth 38/9 (QEII Terminal)

 

I think this is similar to the arrangement for P&O's seven-ship event in 2012 we discussed here earlier, except for berth 44 being used now (for QV) instead of berth 40/1. This is just temporary though as three of those ships (Ventura and the Marella ships) will be departing tomorrow.

 

QV is on the schedule to depart May 15th for a "Coastal" voyage, as are Britannia and Azura. QM2 will be back in Southampton for a day on the 15th as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020 at 11:30 AM, bluemarble said:

Maybe this has happened recently and I've just missed it, but I see there are now seven cruise ships in Southampton today with the arrival of Silver Spirit.

 

Ventura at berth 106 (Mayflower Terminal)

Silver Spirit at berth 104

Marella Celebration at berth 102

Marella Explorer at berth 101 (City Terminal)

Britannia at berth 46 (Ocean Terminal)

QV at berth 44

Azura at berth 38/9 (QEII Terminal)

 

I think this is similar to the arrangement for P&O's seven-ship event in 2012 we discussed here earlier, except for berth 44 being used now (for QV) instead of berth 40/1. This is just temporary though as three of those ships (Ventura and the Marella ships) will be departing tomorrow.

 

QV is on the schedule to depart May 15th for a "Coastal" voyage, as are Britannia and Azura. QM2 will be back in Southampton for a day on the 15th as well.

Notably two ships the size of Queen Victoria can also fit along the dockside in front of the QEII terminal - as shown in the below video (from happier times!). 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This webcam guy couldn't resist posting another couple shots from "isleofwightwebcams.co.uk" showing QV departing Southampton this evening on her way back to Portland Anchorage. I thought it was a nice touch that a sailboat managed to get in the shot at Cowes. And with no one manually controlling the camera this time, things were timed just right for her to be in the shot while the webcam was zoomed all the way in at Ryde Pier.

 

1274824193_QVCowes21-May-2020.jpg.ef52d44fed5812ff65c8dc5294e4fb9f.jpg

 

1962574870_QVRyde21-May-2020.jpg.e3691131fe1e7ee3bd131c959190b6d7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taken a few days ago of QV  (and Silversea," Silver Spirit" )  leaving Southampton for a run along the South Coast,

from You Tube.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As QV is on her way back to Portland in the morning (and QM2 sailed past Portland on Saturday), I thought it might be interesting to note that there are no cruise ships in Southampton tonight following Silver Cloud's departure Saturday evening. I think this is the first time since sometime in March that that's been the case. One could almost imagine things were back to normal where it would be somewhat unusual to see a cruise ship docked overnight in Southampton. But the illusion won't last long as Silver Spirit is due to arrive in the morning for a stay at the QEII Terminal until June 4th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It ought to be an especially good day for ship spotters in Weymouth today. I think this may be the first time there have been as many as seven cruise ships at the anchorage since the shutdown, if ever. We almost had that many at the same time last week but Ventura left shortly before Britannia arrived on that occasion. For the record, here are the seven cruise ships at Weymouth/Portland Anchorage now.

 

Queen Victoria

Aurora

Britannia

Arcadia

Azura

Ventura

Oceana

Edited by bluemarble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2020 at 12:17 PM, bluemarble said:

It ought to be an especially good day for ship spotters in Weymouth today. I think this may be the first time there have been as many as seven cruise ships at the anchorage since the shutdown, if ever. We almost had that many at the same time last week but Ventura left shortly before Britannia arrived on that occasion. For the record, here are the seven cruise ships at Weymouth/Portland Anchorage now.

 

Queen Victoria

Aurora

Britannia

Arcadi

Azura

Ventura

Oceana

 

Here is the You Tube Video of them if allowed (as P&O Ships) 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Pennbank said:

Here is the You Tube Video of them if allowed (as P&O Ships) ...

 

Thanks for the link to that youtube video, Pennbank. The title of the video, "7 P&O Cruise Ships in Weymouth Bay", isn't quite right of course since QV isn't a P&O ship. But I still enjoyed that video showing the gathering of seven cruise ships in Weymouth Bay even though it only zooms in for close-ups of several of the P&O ships, not QV. I was hoping someone would post a video like that on youtube.

Edited by bluemarble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...