TA's Commissions

OKCruiseMan

12 minutes ago, OKCruiseMan said:

If you book through a TA and the cruise line cancels the cruise, does the TA still get a commission?  Seems they should!

Under the current environment, yes, Celebrity is making the TA's whole when they cancel a cruise and the person takes FCC.  They are also commissioning the new cruise booked with the FCC.  At least that's what I've been reading.  🍷

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, OKCruiseMan said:

If you book through a TA and the cruise line cancels the cruise, does the TA still get a commission?  Seems they should!

I doubt they would receive the commission because the contract was not fulfilled ( completed ).

It's the same in Real Estate -- Commission is only payable once all conditions are waived ( fulfilled ) and the deal closes ( the new owners take possession of the property ). 

32 minutes ago, OKCruiseMan said:

So if I took the refund they get nothing?

Not exactly.

If you cancel the TA gets no commission. 

If Celebrity or any RCCL brand cancels the TA is paid for the cancelled cruise and any new cruise if booked with them.  Remember FCC cannot be used for deposits.

Cruise Lines Protect Commissions on Canceled Sailings and Future Cruise Credits

by Daniel McCarthy / March 10, 2020

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/Cruise-Lines-Protect-Commissions-on-Canceled-Sailings-and-Future-Cruise-Credits

Edited by Host Kat
Per the Copyright Infringement section in the Community Guidelines, link only & no copy/paste of text.

If the TA's are in fact now keeping commissions for cruises Celebrity cancelled, it sure would be nice if they (the TA's) kept the OBC and other perks they offered us when we booked through them for our FCC's.  I know we are SOL with Celebrity from what I understand, but this would be nice.  Not expecting it to happen, but I can wish.

4 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

If the TA's are in fact now keeping commissions for cruises Celebrity cancelled, it sure would be nice if they (the TA's) kept the OBC and other perks they offered us when we booked through them for our FCC's.  I know we are SOL with Celebrity from what I understand, but this would be nice.  Not expecting it to happen, but I can wish.

Any perks provided by the TAs to the client - us - think of them as simply disappearing.  The cruise never happened thus OBC from either TAs or Celebrity is cancelled.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wine-O said:

Under the current environment, yes, Celebrity is making the TA's whole when they cancel a cruise and the person takes FCC.  They are also commissioning the new cruise booked with the FCC.  At least that's what I've been reading.  🍷

You are correct. Confirmed by my TA.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wine-O said:

2 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

You are correct. Confirmed by my TA.

Thank you! This may make my decision about what to do for my summer trip a little easier. 

3 hours ago, az_tchr said:

Any perks provided by the TAs to the client - us - think of them as simply disappearing.  The cruise never happened thus OBC from either TAs or Celebrity is cancelled.

I agree that is what has been happening.  My point is that now that it is confirmed that they are keeping their commissions, it would be nice if we were able to keep our equivalent.  I know it won't happen but I think it should!  With all the FCC to be used, you can bet there will be few if any deals to be had next year on cruises, including from the TA's.

6 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Obviously you have no idea how little a TA actually makes. For a lot of us, all we get is commission and it’s paltry at best.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I agree that is what has been happening.  My point is that now that it is confirmed that they are keeping their commissions, it would be nice if we were able to keep our equivalent.  I know it won't happen but I think it should!  With all the FCC to be used, you can bet there will be few if any deals to be had next year on cruises, including from the TA's.

Your TA has complete control over offering you OBC or other incentives on your new booking. 

As far as deals and promos - that's in Celebrity's hands. I expect some good offerings down the line. Remember - you can take advantage of price drops up until final payment.

Edited by sippican

2 hours ago, sippican said:

Your TA has complete control over offering you OBC or other incentives on your new booking. 

As far as deals and promos - that's in Celebrity's hands. I expect some good offerings down the line. Remember - you can take advantage of price drops up until final payment.

The TA giving OBC is some cases is from their commission including as an example a bottle of wine in your cabin. Depending who she is working for and how many cruises you have booked with that company will also govern on any extra OBC. Some companies have  offerings for there customer continuing support. Otherwise the cruise line has the offerings as stated the promos etc.. Now many are asking if you want the perks and you are charged more for the cruise. The additional charge is far lower than if you paid for the perks separate giving you the option. You may not want the drink package, paid gratuities, specialty dining etc. so you are charged less for the cruise. Nice to have that as an option. Not all cruise lines are doing that. I hope soon they all will.