Cruise Critic Community
TinkBellaMom

A light at the end of this virus tunnel?

On 3/29/2020 at 3:11 PM, TinkBellaMom said:

I am aware that things change, that’s life.  I was just reporting some positive news.

Thanks! We all need some!

Let's wait and see how things develop, it's nice to have something to aim for, but June 1st for the parks to open seems to optimistic and will very likely be delayed by another month or two.

57 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We can't keep things shut down indefinitely.  

Of course we can't but you can't get back to normal before the pandemic will not be under control as you want to avoid a second wave and currently numbers are far from going down, hence even begining of June does not look realistic at this stage to start cruising or opening up theme parks.

37 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Of course we can't but you can't get back to normal before the pandemic will not be under control as you want to avoid a second wave and currently numbers are far from going down, hence even begining of June does not look realistic at this stage to start cruising or opening up theme parks.

Personally, for those who want to vacation, I think there will be a window from perhaps July 1 through October 31. This wave will have largely subsided (models suggest) and a second wave is likely to heat up October or November (and waves take time to spread). I’d be hesitant to delay toward Christmas. So late summer/early fall or wait til next Spring. 

4 hours ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

Personally, for those who want to vacation, I think there will be a window from perhaps July 1 through October 31. This wave will have largely subsided (models suggest) and a second wave is likely to heat up October or November (and waves take time to spread). I’d be hesitant to delay toward Christmas. So late summer/early fall or wait til next Spring. 

Let's hope that a 2nd wave will not come and that everything will be done to avoid it, even it it would involve a lockdown situation for several months. Then once you start getting things to normal and a 2nd wave will come, the economy will get hit much worse with more longer run effects which would even put to jeopardy companies you would have never throught could ever go bankrupt, not talking about the harm on individuals, then we will go into recession big time.

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2020 at 4:06 PM, TinkBellaMom said:

Just  received word from Disney that the parks will resume operations on June 1st.

i know this won’t matter to some, but I see it as a positive move.

On 3/29/2020 at 4:07 PM, xDisconnections said:

They also were to resume operations on April 1.

Things are subject to change.

On 3/29/2020 at 4:11 PM, TinkBellaMom said:

I am aware that things change, that’s life.  I was just reporting some positive news.

Just FWIW, OP:

I’d recommend the assumption of the parks staying closed longer than June 1. I’m not sure if you’re aware but a large portion of Disney’s labor comes from the Disney College Program. In fact, nearly everyone in the afternoons and evenings is a CP there.

Yesterday, Disney Internships & Programs unfortunately made the decision to cancel the Fall Advantage DCP and contacted everyone due to arrive in June (most arrivals were expected the first week) to advise them of their employment opportunity being denied with a refund of their program fees. They were offered the opportunity to apply with no guarantee of acceptance for another semester.

As of now, the Fall program is still expected to continue as planned with arrivals due in August. They usually begin in early August but I don’t remember from my CP a long time ago if the last week of July was included.

Oh, and they also furloughed for an unknown amount of time all non-essential executive level employees, all salaried managers and all non-union hourly Cast Members.

Edited by xDisconnections

Just this on TMZ, and it doesn’t look so positive. Disney World is laying off 43,000 employees on April 19th. 

https://www.tmz.com/2020/04/11/walt-disney-world-furlough-employees-coronavirus-theme-park-closed/
The weekly unemployment numbers are going to continue to rise, especially since the states were never on the same page with quarantine start dates.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On 3/30/2020 at 2:59 PM, Judyrem said:

I have a ten day trip with my family scheduled starting June 1 at Disney.

As long as your trip is planned for Fantasyland, then you'll be OK.

5 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

The weekly unemployment numbers are going to continue to rise, especially since the states were never on the same page with quarantine start dates.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I’m more afraid to see the second round of outbreaks if states all end quarantines at the exact time, and start business as normal immediately.  Hopefully that isn’t the route taken. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’m more afraid to see the second round of outbreaks if states all end quarantines at the exact time, and start business as normal immediately.  Hopefully that isn’t the route taken. 

That won’t happen. CT has already announced everything is closed through May 20. Schools are probably done for the year. If you listen to the governors “tea leaves”, it will be longer than that. Even then, no restaurant will be ( or be allowed to be) at 100% occupancy. There were lines outside the grocery store yesterday as they limited occupancy. 

More likely is some areas move forward before others. And some will move forward too soon. 

Hope you, Lisa and Owen are doing well!!

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

My guess is there will be a second round but hopefully not as grave as the first.  Regarding the quarantines, I doubt they will all end at the same time.  It will depend on the state of things in each state/territory.  The government has already said they have a task force working on a plan to open up the country and it will be in stages.  As it is now, just about everyone in our area is wearing a mask when they go out in public.  The CDC originally said a mask wouldn't help so people didn't wear them.  The CDC backed off that and said we should all wear one.  Perhaps they were concerned there would be a run on masks like there was toilet paper?  IDK.  I believe when we reopen, it will be with plenty of measures in place.  

Please Google Dr. Agus, he talked about the second wave this week and said it won't be nearly as deadly. I know its hard for people to see but things will improve and there is light at the end of the tunnel. Some hard weeks coming but it will subside. We hit our peak in NY/NJ where I live. Its going to dissipate slowly from here. Check this website below. It will tell you want is going on in the country as a whole and your individual state. 

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

People also seem to be forgetting that the purpose of these lockdowns hasn't been to eliminate the virus, it's to slow it down enough so that it doesn't overwhelm the healthcare system

56 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

People also seem to be forgetting that the purpose of these lockdowns hasn't been to eliminate the virus, it's to slow it down enough so that it doesn't overwhelm the healthcare system

Excellent point!  I do believe that has been widely over looked.

Our local health inspector says she does not expect to allows our stadiums(hockey/football) to open at the earliest till November and that is a very optimistic projection.

If you look at the 1918 Pandemic where there was much less mobility there were plenty of deadly second waves:  https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/03/how-cities-flattened-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/