What are the chances of Fall Cruises being suspended?

42 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

But where are we supposed to get masks when none are available?  CDC did NOT recommend their use in well people until a week ago. Now I cannot find any anywhere...well not anywhere I'd trust. (You know there's always that one seller on Amazon doling out 10 masks and shipping them in baggies.... :classic_blink:)

I have thick, cotton dinner napkins. I folded in half like a bandanna and tied behind my head.

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have done something similar. But it's not the same as a mask.

But far better than nothing. I'm likely going to a large scarf that I can wrap around more snugly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well, better than nothing. Not sure I'd say the evidence is there to say "far"...

Since the point of them is to protect OTHERS from me, were I to sneeze, quite a bit of the particulate would be caught in the two thick layers. I sure won't go in a grocery without it. That would be quite arrogant of me.

33 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have done something similar. But it's not the same as a mask.

I have been using a large linen dinner mask - folded to provide four layers: cleaned in boiling water between uses.  Unless you use a new medical grade mask every time (please advise where you get them) I doubt it could be near as effective in preventing particulate matter from me reaching others - or theirs reaching my nose or mouth.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have been using a large linen dinner mask - folded to provide four layers: cleaned in boiling water between uses.  Unless you use a new medical grade mask every time (please advise where you get them) I doubt it could be near as effective in preventing particulate matter from me reaching others - or theirs reaching my nose or mouth.

21 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

And when I see people like you I congratulate them on helping save lives. And I'll occasionally say, when seeing someone without a mask, "where's your mask?" I once had a friend give me the highest praise: "she doesn't suffer fools gladly." I wear that as a badge of honor 🙂

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have not mingled with people in 4 weeks.We only go outside to throw away garbage and to get our mail.When we do that we will put on a mask.

Hi Lenny, hope you are doing ok. I have only been to the grocery store and I do take a walk around my complex each

day ( rarely see anyone).  I did wear my mask to the store today.

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

But where are we supposed to get masks when none are available?  CDC did NOT recommend their use in well people until a week ago. Now I cannot find any anywhere...well not anywhere I'd trust. (You know there's always that one seller on Amazon doling out 10 masks and shipping them in baggies.... :classic_blink:)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/opinion/coronavirus-face-masks.html

Even now this is debated, but in the Far East, darn even in Africa you saw pictures where people were wearing where higher than here.  YOu had the President, CDC and every new media place shaming people indirectly to protect the very limited number of masks in US supply.

THen what, a quick turn around, everything they stated that suggested the change of policy was there months ago.  The reason for the change, the increased case load and deaths, conclusion, we better do everything we can to mitigate including wear masks.

There are a ton of online videos and other tutorials, sadly they aren't as good of course as N95 even a recycled N95 with additional cloth is good.  Sad the richest country on earth has the worst face masks.

On 3/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, TRAVELBUGCRUISER said:

Hey Everyone

My cruise is planned for later this year. The more Im reading people are suggesting all cruises will be suspended for the rest of the year at some point. Whats the consensus on that in this community?

Thanks

For certain some areas of world will not let international or local travel and most certainly same countries won't want another Coral, Diamond, Zaandam at their dock.

People still dying at an alarming rate and this is those with known positive test. Every country has elevated deaths far higher than the documented cases 

E614E8F7-DB66-46EB-B028-FAF206F2ABE6.jpeg

Edited by chipmaster

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Lenny, hope you are doing ok. I have only been to the grocery store and I do take a walk around my complex each

day ( rarely see anyone).  I did wear my mask to the store today.

I wish I could walk around my complex. I can only walk a few blocks at most.Most people do not wear masks.

Take care,Lois R.

Lenny 

There are a few things that would have to happen before I would consider booking a cruise some time within the next 12 months. First, that an inoculation has been developed that kills the covid-19 virus and is available for everyone. Second, that all airlines are in full operation. (The closest port that we can drive to is Baltimore, about a six hour drive). Third, all hotels, restaurants and bars are open again for business.  We won't be booking a cruise or packing our bags until the pandemic is over with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

beachbum53;  hope you get your confidence up to fly and cruise.  I am optimistic that current situation will be better by Oct time frame.  We shall see

I don't know about where you live, but here in Ohio, not everyone is following the guidelines about social distancing, or staying at home, or not being in groups of ten or less. All it takes is for one person who is a carrier of the virus to infect others. As much as we would like to get away from home and go on a cruise, or even a land-based vacation, we're not willing to take the risk. I'm normally a very optimistic person. But, as things are currently, I'd rather spend my off time safely here at home than two (or more) weeks in intensive care in a hospital, or possibly not live to see tomorrow's sunrise. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

beachbum53;  look at my signature;  I am right down the street from you.  

I didn't pay attention to that before. So, you do know about the challenges we face here in the Buckeye state. We do have a land-based vacation planned for the end of this Sept., but we're prepared to postpone our plans if necessary. I know, based on what I've been seeing here on C.C., that there are a number of people that are eager to go out on a cruise as soon as possible, like within the next three or four months.  We're okay with waiting at least 12 months.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

First, that an inoculation has been developed that kills the covid-19 virus and is available for everyone. 

Then you will never cruise, or possibly go out ever again.

That is not how vaccines work.

They do not kill anything.  The cause you immune system to react to the vaccine, so when you get exposed to that microbe again, your body reacts quickly and massively.  And your own immune system prevents you from getting sick.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SRF said:

Then you will never cruise, or possibly go out ever again.

That is not how vaccines work.

They do not kill anything.  The cause you immune system to react to the vaccine, so when you get exposed to that microbe again, your body reacts quickly and massively.  And your own immune system prevents you from getting sick.

Whatever. I'm not a doctor. The main thing is that a shot or some sort of immunization is developed that will end the pandemic and makes it safe for us to travel again. 

1 hour ago, beachbum53 said:

Whatever. I'm not a doctor. The main thing is that a shot or some sort of immunization is developed that will end the pandemic and makes it safe for us to travel again. 

I wish everyone would think like you ,I and a friend of mine who works at OSU.

1 hour ago, beachbum53 said:

The main thing is that a shot or some sort of immunization is developed that will end the pandemic and makes it safe for us to travel again. 

Even IF a vaccine is developed within the next five years, there's no guarantee as to how effective it would be. Is it the influenza one that may only be about 60% effective, due to the virus mutating from season? COVID is a lot more deadly than our seasonal flu. And how many people are going to get the vaccination? And what if they need to get it every year? There enough 'what-if's' o fill a page. I read something that seems spot on: "a pandemic is over when everyone is dead or immune."

9 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Have faith in the research doctors and scientists; they will come up with vaccine and get it fast tracked through the FDA

But sensible people should want really good and thorough clinical trials. Those take time.

10 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

clo, I hear what your sayin; I still have faith in our scientists and doctors.  

I read this earlier today:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/04/why-coronavirus-vaccine-could-take-way-longer-than-a-year/

I keep thinking about HIV for which there is no vaccine. But there are excellent treatments and it's generally not a fast moving virus. And in many cases HIV no longer progresses to AIDS. Treatments are great but not on a cruise ship. So as I ponder this - and I ponder the disease A LOT - I see a treatment that would likely be adequate for most people in most settings. So I can see people returning to work, school, etc. and be relatively safe. But a few thousand people in a closed environment with the possibility of ports not allowing them to dock, I just don't see it. My two cents.