There you have it-April cruises are history.

beerman2

We have a cruise on the Breakaway out of NOLA in December.  I think that if the cruise industry is going to survive without BK they will resume cruising by then.  All of the reputable statistical models on Covid19 I have seen show the virus peaking in the US between mid April and first part of May and eventually running its course sometime between first part of June and mid July depending on where you live.

Between now and then cruise lines are going to have to figure out how to keep enough competent employees around, rehire entertainers, and reassure enough of the public that it is safe to cruise again. I think they are going to have to take small steps initially with maybe just 3 or 4 ships sailing to start with.  There will also be major safeguards in place to insure the proper health of crew and passengers.  I would not be surprised if sometime this fall we see a few cruises here and there embarking out of and visiting ports where there is almost 100% certainty that the virus is not a factor.  

Between now and then the cruise industry has a monumental task ahead.  If everything goes perfectly and there are no second waves of Covid19 we may see a third of the cruises that we normally see by this time next year but due to supply and demand for the foreseeable future taking a cruise will be more expensive.  The cruise lines simply can't stay around unless they can figure out a way to do it and still make money.

Has NCL actually announced the cancellation of April sailings? I have a family member scheduled for a mid april sailing that is pretty dead set on going unless they cancel it. I understand it's forseeable that they will, but have they actually done it yet?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Has NCL actually announced the cancellation of April sailings? I have a family member scheduled for a mid april sailing that is pretty dead set on going unless they cancel it. I understand it's forseeable that they will, but have they actually done it yet?

Just curious, what planet is your family member flying in from?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

They, NCL have not announced it yet, but I would bet my last dime April cruises are going no where. Even if the curve was flattened in two weeks, they still have to move crew around, sanitize any ship where a crew member may have come down with the virus. 

Just now, ColeThornton said:

No need to be rude. I don't agree with her attitude but she is getting older and of the mind that she only lives once so she would rather take the very small risk of losing her life catching the virus rather than guarantee of losing a year of her life quality by putting off plans. it's her choice to make. I don't believe this cruise will sail and I'm just following it so I can give her notice when it cancels since it appears the cruise lines aren't doing that very fast. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tomtravel said:

Most other Cruise lines have MADE their announcements!!     NCL it's time for a Press release!!     The video channels are starting to com up with their own theories,  get out in front with the TRUTH!!

Timely announcements concerning NCL'S cruise schedule are available for a $25.00 fee.

For your convenience of course.

Edited by NJGeorge
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Social Distancing had been extended until April 30th. Thousands more pax will be affected.

My april 19th out of New York was coming up and there is no way this ship was going anywhere.  Some of us are just holding on for NCL to cancel so we can get refund as opposed to FCC and since some cruise critic people love speculations and are already announcing bankrupts we may not even get that LOL

11 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Among those fallen and infected, please keep in mind that a good # of them are health care workers, doctors & nurses, first responders, etc.  Please keep them in your thoughts & prayers and I know, we all do.   And, most important, live smartly & stay healthy.  

Henry - Been thinking of you - hope you and your family are doing OK.   Were you able to finish your downsizing to a new home?

My county (Monroe) is fairly hard hit, but NOTHING like your area.  

40 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

A far bigger issue,   is how long can cruise companies hang on with NO revenue???    I'd speculate,  some bankruptcy companies    

although you may be right that these companies have no revenue, i wait until announcements of bankruptcies happen, speculations are as bad as conspiracy theories.

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

was that necessary?

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

That's pretty rude.

But let's look at it from the another angle, if it's so damn obvious that only someone from another planet would think the cruise is going to happen, what planet is NCL on that they haven't cancelled April cruises yet?  

Obviously NCL is on this planet, so, this must be just one more sign of how incompetent NCL management is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Budget Queen said:

A far bigger issue,   is how long can cruise companies hang on with NO revenue???    I'd speculate,  some bankruptcy companies    

If the cruise lines accept any bailout cash from the U.S. I would hope that a bankruptcy filing would be off limits. But, if they do file for bankruptcy, it would relieve them of any obligations, monetary or otherwise to their customers. My April 19 cruise was cancelled for a future credit. I hope Norwegian will now offer a full cash refund for this cruise, as we are no longer interested in cruising ever again.

8 minutes ago, djkolp said:

If the cruise lines accept any bailout cash from the U.S. I would hope that a bankruptcy filing would be off limits. But, if they do file for bankruptcy, it would relieve them of any obligations, monetary or otherwise to their customers. My April 19 cruise was cancelled for a future credit. I hope Norwegian will now offer a full cash refund for this cruise, as we are no longer interested in cruising ever again.

You have already accepted the terms of your cancellation   A future cruise credit.    It is a done deal. 

So you do not have any reservation, to cancel under any other future terms.   You will NOT be able to now go back and change the terms.       

44 minutes ago, DuckTollerFans said:

Henry - Been thinking of you - hope you and your family are doing OK.   Were you able to finish your downsizing to a new home?

My county (Monroe) is fairly hard hit, but NOTHING like your area.  

We are doing fine, been doing our share & more, staying at home except for essential travel - literally shelter-in-place with 30+ days provisions, well-stocked. Downsizing was going to happen this month, postponed & definitely going to get delayed but given the bigger picture, not going to worry about it.  

CC moderator started this thread/sticky on top - sort of making it a "chat room" for everyone, which some noticed but others haven't - probably a good place for us & others to keep in touch and shared our stories.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2743182-norwegian-cruisers-how-are-things-where-you-live/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-59746427

We are 6 miles from the new "ground zero" @ Elmhurst Hospital - a 500 beds municipal medical center with about 50 ICU beds, needless to say - overwhelmed and the city is doing more - mutual aid among hospitals are taking place and ambulances must divert and shift the load to other nearby ER/ED in a major disaster mode of this scale.  The biggest concern is the ventilators but equally vital to saving lives - surge staff of doctors, nursing & other medical and support staff with the extra 5,000 to 10,000 field/temporary hospital beds - 1/3 of them coming online by mid-week.

Stay healthy, be safe and live smartly.  Cruising is going to be quite different from here onward, no question about it.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Noo way. Its some sad news. Hope May wont be as bad. In any case, it all will be posponed. I dont understand how people live with such information. I mean, you had you vacation planned a year ago, your boss has given you these 1-2 weeks off. How do people manage to change those dates so easily? Am I the only one stuck in here with no where to move if my cruise gets cancelled? Hope everyone else is doing alright

If you're working for a boss/company that won't allow you to change your vacation plans during a pandemic you should probably look for a new job.

2 hours ago, julian30 said:

Seriously I think (hope) that once it's all over (this initial outbreak) that mass testing will actually show the vast majority of people have had it (without symptoms or barely symptoms) and it will in time become amalgamated with the flu, and then it will become something that hundreds of thousands die of every year and we'll just learnt to 'accept' it, as we have the flu.

Actually if mass testing shows that the vast majority of us have had it without symptoms, many of us will be immune at least temporarily. Hope to heaven we never have to learn to accept so many of us dying. Not a prayerful person here but it's got me asking a power greater then myself for learned people to develop a vaccine. I've given up hoping that my cruise will be cancelled to hope that a mirage-like protective bubble be placed around medical people trying to save us all from this scourge.

You stay well now Julian 🙂

Edited by Petoonya

11 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

You have already accepted the terms of your cancellation   A future cruise credit.    It is a done deal. 

So you do not have any reservation, to cancel under any other future terms.   You will NOT be able to now go back and change the terms.       

If your reply to my post is correct, and that remains to be seen, then I guess I have no choice but to accept whatever terms will apply. Though I can't help but think that you found some loathsome pleasure replying to my post. It was quick, and with "NOT" noticeably capitalized.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, djkolp said:

If your reply to my post is correct, and that remains to be seen, then I guess I have no choice but to accept whatever terms will apply. Though I can't help but think that you found some loathsome pleasure replying to my post. It was quick, and with "NOT" noticeably capitalized.  

Why do you seem to think you can get a refund when you no longer have any reservation to cancel?    

I am still waiting for them to cancel my April 12th cruise out of NOLA. Hoping to hear today but who knows. I want the cash refund but intend to book the same cruise in Dec this year - (once it gets closer and we are sure cruises are happening)
Travel is not really allowed where I am at, in Washington state - so even if it goes - we are stuck here anyway.

1 hour ago, Lupush said:

If you're working for a boss/company that won't allow you to change your vacation plans during a pandemic you should probably look for a new job.

It's not always that easy. I'm union and our vacation selection process is contractual. Once it's made it's done for the year. If you can't use your vacation pick too bad so sad for you. 

2 hours ago, bbtondo said:

Crickets from NCL.  Again we wait for the fat lady to sing.

Once again, NCL is the last of the major cruise lines to announce anything.

Anyone else feel that this situation has really shown how each company treat their customers?

Edited by pentiumvi

6 minutes ago, pentiumvi said:

Anyone else feel that this situation has really shown how each company treat their customers?

Yes.  Although we knew it before now and just didn't let it interfere with our vacations.  But I agree, this whole thing shines a bright lite on just how inept they are at customer service.