Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Jimbo

How many more times does RCCL suspends cruises before they say enough is enough for 2020 ?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Judyrem said:

You left out the part  of my post of a normal middle class lady who recovered and there are many more like her.  Most of those that were infected were probably middle class people because there are thousands who have "recovered".

 

Money always helps with almost everything, yes?

True

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

 

The South China Morning Post claims patient zero discovered November 17 of last year.   From  November to now would be approximately 5 months for China with almost 3 of them under lock-down.  They are just now returning to their new normal.  

 

If the US followed the same time frame and curve that would be about around early to mid-July.  No matter the case, short or long time frame, we are all in it for the long haul.

 

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3074991/coronavirus-chinas-first-confirmed-covid-19-case-traced-back

 

 

Government manipulation would never happen there.😉

Let's also remember that China's lockdown was much more severe, and was enforced at gunpoint.  Obviously that's not going to happen in the U. S., so the time frame could be much longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Let's also remember that China's lockdown was much more severe, and was enforced at gunpoint.  Obviously that's not going to happen in the U. S., so the time frame could be much longer.


Indeed. The Chinese people inspired😉 to be “on board” with the plan immediately.  Unfortunately social distancing might take longer in some areas, but I think when cases rise in those areas people might adapt. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pcur said:

Just my opinion, but I've been with this company for 46 years:

 

We have 4 cruises booked:  2 this Nov/Dec, 1 in April 2021, and 1 in November 2021.  All leave from US ports, so we will fly Southwest, and get their 1 year credit for any cancelled flights.  RCCL has already established their pattern:  they will offer relaxed cancellation policies during a certain time frame if the virus cycles back through again.  We will wait and see, and will be taking the 125% FCC if it's offered.

 

RCCL is smart.  They knew the stimulus bill just passed by Congress would not help them, because they are not registered in the US.  They went out before the bill was passed and got a $2 billion loan, bolstering their cash reserves to just under $4 billion.  They didn't stay in business for 51 years by being dumb.  They have survived through the oil embargo in the 1970's, SARS, MERS, hurricanes, and the 2008-2012 bad economy.

 

Also, they will not alienate large portions of their customer base.  I think they will continue the heightened sanitizing on their ships, and as soon as they think it's safe they will drop the doctor's "permission slip" for passengers over 70.  IF they continue to remain cautious about older passengers, they may require some type of health statement for passengers over a certain age.

 

I have seen people on cruises over the last 12 months that I worried about, and told my husband a year ago that I thought they would have to start screening for health issues.  I'm talking about people who looked 85-95 years old.  A year later, they have a virus, and they ask for health reports for over 70 passengers.  The footprint is there:  they could continue it for much older passengers.  

 

For the next 18 months, I believe they will not be lowering their prices, but will be more flexible about changes and cancellations for flu season bookings.

 

 

 

 

Peggy is smart.

 

Be like Peggy.

 

🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

 

 

Peggy is smart.

 

Be like Peggy.

 

🙂 

I like Peggy. 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I mean how many  more times do they want to sit there and rebook people and then hand out those 125% FCC and rebook again and again.

 

I think they should just not take anymore bookings for 2020. It's just not going to be safe enough to sail anywhere anyway.

 

To many ports are still going to have problems...........

Walt Disney Parks are also doing rolling cancellations closing announcements.

 

In addition they just announce some deals for later this year to people that have had their packages/hotel bookings cancelled due to the parks/hotels being closed.

 

This is a very fluid situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also think they start as soon as they think its safe to sail , we have a cruise in Sept . If things are moving again . We   more than likely are  going . But that's Sept . Will wait and see what things look like then / 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Call me one of those "overly optimistic people". I believe cruises will start June 1 or around there. When this thing peaks in a few weeks [which is going to be painful and horrible] then the numbers will start to fall. 4 weeks of falling numbers will help calm nerves. Its all sad no matter how we look at all this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MSC has just extended their operations suspension until May 29; hoping that Royal will follow suit and cancel our Adventure on May 21.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gadaboutgal said:

MSC has just extended their operations suspension until May 29; hoping that Royal will follow suit and cancel our Adventure on May 21.

They are extending it in 30 day increments. Expect to see the next round of suspensions the last week of April. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are also on the May 21st cruise, as paid already, will not cancel as presuming rcl will do that. If not we will cancel using the 48 hours cancellation option,,we have another one booked for Feb 6, 2021 which we will leave for now. 
 

also have another cruise booked on cunard for July 31st, final payment was due this week,  but they reduced the time to 60 days last week, we will leave for now, but I already cancelled our Aeroplan tickets as they had a full refund option if cancel by March 31st,,worst case if goes ahead we can also rebook,,,just not sure we will feel safe regardless...and will the ports be open in nyc, Iceland and Scotland in August..only time will tell

 

be safe everyone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, gadaboutgal said:

MSC has just extended their operations suspension until May 29; hoping that Royal will follow suit and cancel our Adventure on May 21.

NCL just extended suspension in to May, 5/11/20.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JAMESCC said:

Call me one of those "overly optimistic people". I believe cruises will start June 1 or around there. When this thing peaks in a few weeks [which is going to be painful and horrible] then the numbers will start to fall. 4 weeks of falling numbers will help calm nerves. Its all sad no matter how we look at all this. 

 

Although it would be lovely to meet you on the June 7 cruise, I don't think that cruising will resume just because "numbers are starting to fall."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will continue to plan on our Sept. 4 cruise to Alaska.  Everyone is guessing about what might happen.  If I need a Dr. note I will tell my doctor to write me one.  If we need to drive instead of fly to Seattle we will.  I know there is lots of negative going around right now but I am beginning to refuse to participate in it.  I know things are bad and might possible get worse but we will take one day at a time.  If Sept. gets cancelled there is always Odyssey in March.  If that is a no go there is Anthem in Nov.  Cruising is a relaxing time for us and we will do whatever we can to cruise again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JAMESCC said:

Call me one of those "overly optimistic people". I believe cruises will start June 1 or around there. When this thing peaks in a few weeks [which is going to be painful and horrible] then the numbers will start to fall. 4 weeks of falling numbers will help calm nerves. Its all sad no matter how we look at all this. 

I’m hoping you’re right but honestly feel that you’re being very optimistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

 

Although it would be lovely to meet you on the June 7 cruise, I don't think that cruising will resume just because "numbers are starting to fall."


Agreed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

I’m hoping you’re right but honestly feel that you’re being very optimistic.

I am, I know that but I'm looking at the timeline of other countries and looking at where we are. Listening to experts, especially here in NJ that are pretty confident the peak should be in 2 weeks or so. Now we have a bunch of bone headed missteps unfortunately but better, fast testing is coming on now. 

Look up J&J Vaccine. Testing to begin in Sept and mass production for early 2021. 

I do believe cruises will begin in early June. Richard Fain is confident this will be the case as well. I'm optimistic. We have a lot of hard work and pain ahead unfortunately though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

I am, I know that but I'm looking at the timeline of other countries and looking at where we are. Listening to experts, especially here in NJ that are pretty confident the peak should be in 2 weeks or so. Now we have a bunch of bone headed missteps unfortunately but better, fast testing is coming on now. 

Look up J&J Vaccine. Testing to begin in Sept and mass production for early 2021. 

I do believe cruises will begin in early June. Richard Fain is confident this will be the case as well. I'm optimistic. We have a lot of hard work and pain ahead unfortunately though. 

There are two Holland America ships roaming around with nowhere to go, people are basically imprisoned in their rooms on them.  Every port in the world is closed.  Europe is in chaos.  And you think cruise ships will be sailing in 2 months?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pcur said:

They have survived through the oil embargo in the 1970's, SARS, MERS, hurricanes, and the 2008-2012 bad economy.

To be fair, during none of those downturns did they have to park the whole fleet for 2+ months. The thing that may save them this time is a generally good economy and folks with short memories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The good news about the FCC from Dorian is that it will be reissued under its original terms and conditions.  It is also an apply by date as opposed to a sail by date.  As long as you apply it to a cruise before Oct 31, 2020 the cruise can sail anytime before April 30, 2022.

 

I called this morning to conform as I have a client in the exact same situation

Is Oct 31st new expiry date for all FCC that will be reissued? Or would it have the original expiry date (e.g. the FCC that we applied to our cancelled cruise had an expiry of August 31 2020).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

There are two Holland America ships roaming around with nowhere to go, people are basically imprisoned in their rooms on them.  Every port in the world is closed.  Europe is in chaos.  And you think cruise ships will be sailing in 2 months?  

Ok, you guys be pessimistic. Things change fast, if you can't see that then that is your problem. Look how fast this hit. It two months things can look drastically different, better. I'm sorry that you can't see that. On another note, everyone better hope to hell Royal is sailing earlier than 2021 because there will be no Royal Caribbean to sail. No business can withstand 9 months of absolutely no revenue and ships that cost a billion dollars or more each. The pessimistic attitude is really wearing thin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Ok, you guys be pessimistic. Things change fast, if you can't see that then that is your problem. Look how fast this hit. It two months things can look drastically different, better. I'm sorry that you can't see that. On another note, everyone better hope to hell Royal is sailing earlier than 2021 because there will be no Royal Caribbean to sail. No business can withstand 9 months of absolutely no revenue and ships that cost a billion dollars or more each. The pessimistic attitude is really wearing thin. 

Again I hope you’re right.

 

But with RCCL now offering the chance to cancel with a 100% FCC on all sailings until September 1st I unfortunately really do have major doubts.

 

Would obviously love to proved wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

I am, I know that but I'm looking at the timeline of other countries and looking at where we are. Listening to experts, especially here in NJ that are pretty confident the peak should be in 2 weeks or so. Now we have a bunch of bone headed missteps unfortunately but better, fast testing is coming on now. 

Look up J&J Vaccine. Testing to begin in Sept and mass production for early 2021. 

I do believe cruises will begin in early June. Richard Fain is confident this will be the case as well. I'm optimistic. We have a lot of hard work and pain ahead unfortunately though. 


I love your optimism and try to be very positive for my kids. They don’t need to see a worried Dad for any reason. However, looking at the situation it’s hard to see sailings start soon. China may have limited cases now but that’s only achievable through a mandatory 14 day quarantine for everyone coming into the country. Even if something like that was replicated and tolerated in Europe or the US, it would rule out any travel for work or vacation. 
As it stands the scientific community have focused on flattening the curve to give health care services a fighting chance. The work goes on for a vaccine and treatments for the symptoms but for now all we have is containment. 
One thing that makes me feel very optimistic is the sense of community and togetherness that this has brought out in people. If we can keep that after the vaccine, then it will be the silver lining to this cloud. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Is Oct 31st new expiry date for all FCC that will be reissued? Or would it have the original expiry date (e.g. the FCC that we applied to our cancelled cruise had an expiry of August 31 2020).

Original expiry date or Oct 31 whichever is the later date. Your would change to Oct 31.  Remember that it is an applied by date.  You could apply it to a cruise in 2022

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...