Travel insurance with cancel for any reason policy question

kh81828587

I'm scheduled to go on an Alaskan cruise near the end of Aug. I'm really hoping it will still happen, but I also know that the insurance policies aren't covering any virus stuff. If I found a policy with that cancel for any reason clause, could I use that if we decided at the last minute not to go because of the virus? Also, I checked out both Travel Guard and RoamRight insurances and I can't find where I can add that clause. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use or if that would cover us if we thought the virus was still too risky but the cruise was going on as normal?

I think you can only add that clause within a certain amount of days after first booking a trip.  I looked into it as well, and I never saw that as an add-on, and I figured it was because I was too late.

CFAR needs to be bought within a specified number of days from booking -- usually 10 to 21 -- and it doesn't pay 100% -- our policy paid 75%.  We bought it for our October Cuba cruise.  Within a week of booking, it was likely that travel to Cuba would be restricted and we were within the timeframe.  At the time, we had paid our deposit, $400 in air, and a non-cancelable Miami hotel reservation through Priceline, so that's all we insured.  Had we gone on the cruise and paid for more, our insurance costs would have gone up.

We canceled.  We got back our deposit and called the insurance company.  They told me that I had to attempt to cancel the other expenses.  We did get our hotel refunded but not the air.  We put in a claim for the air.  They paid 75% but it took from last June to early March to get our check.  There was some error in my bank account number that slowed the process.

Ok, thanks. We are past that amount of days since we paid the deposit. Our final payment isn't due until May 23, so maybe we'll know more then. If we decide not to go, do we just not pay the rest, and would our deposit be refunded? 

32 minutes ago, kh81828587 said:

Ok, thanks. We are past that amount of days since we paid the deposit. Our final payment isn't due until May 23, so maybe we'll know more then. If we decide not to go, do we just not pay the rest, and would our deposit be refunded? 

As you are on the Princess board, I assume your cruise is with Princess. They may be making another announcement on Monday re further cancellations etc. If this covers your cruise, you will be able to make a more informed decision.

well, since OP is on a Princess cruise,,, did they purchase the insurance through Princess or through a 3rd party?

If they purchased through Princess,,,,, the Princess policy INCLUDES Cancel For Any Reason. The Princess Platinum policy even pays CFAR at 100%.

Can OP still get the Princess policy?

Carnival is the parent company and they announced today:

Carnival Cruise Line announced Monday that it is extending its pause in operations because of the ongoing coronavirus crisis.

All North America sailings through to May 11, 2020, are canceled.

"As COVID-19 continues to impact global health and commerce, we are sorry to extend our pause in operations until May 11," the company stated. "If you have an impacted sailing, you will have received an email direct from Carnival or your travel advisor.:

The emails contain instructions for claiming a cancellation offer or refund.

Princess had already canceled cruises through May 10 and I have not found anything new in today's search.  I had thought that Carnival's announcement would be followed by another announcement from Princess especially in light of the news about Ruby Princess.  My cruise departs on June 19, and we really do not want to take a cruise this summer with the threat of some lingering cases.  We do want to go on the cruise we booked next year.  I think this policy below only applies to cruises scheduled to depart during the March 12 - May 10 cancellation period.  Does anyone have any experience with trying to cancel a cruise taking place after May 10?

All Princess Cruises sailings have been canceled from March 12, 2020, until May 10, 2020.

Cancellation Policy Due to COVID-19

If you need to cancel a Princess cruise during this time due to COVID-19, you’ll have 2 options. This policy will be applied to any guest who made a final payment and canceled their cruise on or after February 4, 2020, and all cruises that were scheduled to depart between March 12, 2020, and May 10, 2020.

Option 1: 100% of the money you paid can be transferred to a future cruise of your choice through May 1, 2022. You’ll receive a future cruise credit benefit.

Option 2: You can opt to receive a full cash refund. You’ll also receive a future cruise credit (however it will be a smaller credit than option 1).

Departure Date Option 1 Option 2
March 12-25, 2020 100% refund in the form of a future cruise credit and a 125% bonus as a future cruise credit 100% refund and a 100% future cruise credit
March 26, 2020 – April 8, 2020 100% refund in the form of a future cruise credit and a 75% bonus as a future cruise credit 100% refund and a 50% future cruise credit
April 9, 2020 – May 10, 2020 100% refund in the form of a future cruise credit and a 50% bonus as a future cruise credit 100% refund and a 25% future cruise credit

How to Cancel a Princess Cruise

To request a refund or cruise credit for your Princess cruise affected by COVID-19, click here.

For Princess Cruise’s full policy regarding COVID-19, click here.