VPN access blocked

Reef Knot

I've noticed recently that Seabourn appears to be blocking access to their site when using a VPN.

In the past I've used UK/US/EU VPN's to compare prices and deals but this no longer appears to be an option.

Anyone else experienced this or is it just my VPN provider?

1 hour ago, Reef Knot said:

I've noticed recently that Seabourn appears to be blocking access to their site when using a VPN.

In the past I've used UK/US/EU VPN's to compare prices and deals but this no longer appears to be an option.

never known any site which blocks access from people using VPNs .. apart from some online media streamers like Netflix. There's pretty much no reason for any normal site to do it, certainly Seabourn wouldn't have any reason to. Even if they wanted to they're barely able to keep a functioning website let alone block VPNs. So it's 99.99999% your VPN provider. And I also just used one of my VPNs, well two of them actually, one a PoP in the US, one a PoP in Malaysia and they both work fine.

Why would you use VPN in the first place? Its not like you live in China or Russia where internet access is very limited. Europeans and Americans should be fine accessing all the necessary information from those websites. Just make sure you have an updated FireWall (just in case). Anyway, all these websites are accessible from your local network. If it doesnt work try using another browser.. VPN is like the very last option to use in your case 

6 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Why would you use VPN in the first place? Its not like you live in China or Russia where internet access is very limited. Europeans and Americans should be fine accessing all the necessary information from those websites. Just make sure you have an updated FireWall (just in case). Anyway, all these websites are accessible from your local network. If it doesnt work try using another browser.. VPN is like the very last option to use in your case 

A VPN can be useful to compare prices. If you go to the website from the US, you will see only the US prices and offers. With a VPN, you can check, for example, the UK prices/offers which will quite often be different. Then you can choose whether to book via a US or UK TA.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Poster states quite clearly their reason for using VPN :

"In the past I've used UK/US/EU VPN's to compare prices and deals"

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I have found that in the past there is often a difference in pricing and special offers between US /UK/EU sites. Sometimes it's better to book on the UK site sometimes on the US.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, rols said:

never known any site which blocks access from people using VPNs .. apart from some online media streamers like Netflix. There's pretty much no reason for any normal site to do it, certainly Seabourn wouldn't have any reason to. Even if they wanted to they're barely able to keep a functioning website let alone block VPNs. So it's 99.99999% your VPN provider. And I also just used one of my VPNs, well two of them actually, one a PoP in the US, one a PoP in Malaysia and they both work fine.

I know, its strange, I've been using VPN's for years and never encountered any problems accessing sites. All the other Cruiselines work fine, just Seabourn, must be some kind of glitch on the site.

I have found that in the past there is often a difference in pricing and special offers between US /UK/EU sites. Sometimes it's better to book on the UK site sometimes on the US.

Can you book from a UK site and have your documents shipped to a US address?

4 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

If you're going to make a UK booking, it would be advisable to use a UK TA. They will often give very reasonable discounts on the website price. They can also arrange sending of necessary documents to the US and elsewhere. Mine are happy sending what is necessary to Panama.

11 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

You should also take into account that the cancellation policies are quite different in the UK. Once you book and pay a 10% deposit, you will normally forfeit at least that deposit if you cancel at any time. I booked our October cruise through the UK because the net price was significantly better but, if we cancel now, the best we can do is the FCC offer under the Book with Confidence policy. In retrospect, we might have done better booking through the US as, if I understand correctly, we could get a refund of the deposit up to, is it?, 120 days before sailing.

I use a VPN all the time.  No problem accessing Seabourn's web site.  As to the question about "why" well if you need to ask... If you like your data being read by ISP provider, sold, etc. no reason.  And if you use one only get one that does not log requests and unreasonably slow down your traffic.  

Seabourn is also blocking my VPN, even when my VPN is using a server from my home country.  I have to turn off the VPN in order to access the Seabourn website.  

For those that do not know what a VPN is used for, here is a brief summary.  For more info, just Google “VPN benefits”

What Is a VPN, and How Does It Work?

When you switch it on, a VPN creates an encrypted tunnel between you and a remote server operated by a VPN service. All your internet traffic is routed through this tunnel, so your data is secure from prying eyes along the way. Because your traffic is exiting the VPN server, your computer appears to have the IP address of said server, masking your identity and location.