USNS Comfort

1 hour ago, spookwife said:

I am very good friends with the wife of someone who has served with the Ex CO.    the PTB had no choice but to remove him, regardless of their personal opinion on his  command ability or the massage he imparted.  the Navy sets great store on doing things a certain way, and he didn't.   it sucks royally, because he was only doing what was in the best interest of his crew and he knew it would  FUBAR his career.  

I guess in this case one might say he "fell on his sword" for this crew.  I think most everyone would follow him to battle for doing this.  If he did that for me, I would.

51 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

It would appear he tried that and got nowhere

He might not get a statue, by he is a hero in my eyes.

• Like 2

Difficult leadership call...doing what's right for your crew vs. following the chain of command and seeing your crew suffer.  Definitely a fall on your sword moment.  "We follow orders son. We follow orders or people die.  It's that simple" - Colonel Jessep, A Few Good Men.  Although a famous movie line, I'm sure there's a lot of truth to it (I've never served).  The only saving grace for Captain Crozier is that he will likely do well in the private sector.

USNS Comfort will have its 1,000 beds capacity reduced by half = resulting in 500 "covid-19" beds, per NY governor Cuomo's daily press briefing.  

IMHO, even with such a setup (eliminating bunking - uppers & lowers) in a typical hospital ship configuration (optimized for trauma/violent injuries - infection control for such highy infectious disease remain risky for healthcare workers & other first responders doing patient transports & transfers.  

A part of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in Morningside Heights in "upper Manhattan" & historic Harlem will be converted to another field hospital with 400 beds capacity - https://abc7ny.com/health/st-john-the-divine-in-manhattan-to-be-used-as-hospital/6083795/

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

USNS Comfort will have its 1,000 beds capacity reduced by half = resulting in 500 "covid-19" beds, per NY governor Cuomo's daily press briefing.  

IMHO, even with such a setup (eliminating bunking - uppers & lowers) in a typical hospital ship configuration (optimized for trauma/violent injuries - infection control for such highy infectious disease remain risky for healthcare workers & other first responders doing patient transports & transfers.  

A part of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in Morningside Heights in "upper Manhattan" & historic Harlem will be converted to another field hospital with 400 beds capacity - https://abc7ny.com/health/st-john-the-divine-in-manhattan-to-be-used-as-hospital/6083795/

And the report that a crew member on the Comfort has tested positive is not encouraging.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, the acting Navy Secretary has stepped on his crank, and has been ordered by his boss, SecDef, to apologize to both the crew and Captain Crozier personally.

Looks like the Acting Navy Secretary has now resigned, in addition to issuing an apology.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

It’s my understanding they were a Merchant Marine (Civilian) Crew.  

The deck and engine crew are Civmars, but there is also a Navy crew that maintains the hospital, as well as the medical staff.

15 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Looks like the Acting Navy Secretary has now resigned, in addition to issuing an apology.

But, the apology is only half-hearted, essentially claiming that Captain Crozier deliberately leaked the document.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

But, the apology is only half-hearted, essentially claiming that Captain Crozier deliberately leaked the document.

Yes...I didn't call him naïve or stupid.  We would never put a naïve or stupid person in charge of an aircraft carrier.  What he did was naïve or stupid.  I'm sorry that people didn't understand what I said.  🙄

34 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Yes...I didn't call him naïve or stupid.  We would never put a naïve or stupid person in charge of an aircraft carrier.  What he did was naïve or stupid.  I'm sorry that people didn't understand what I said.  🙄

The worst part of the "apology" is this:

"I believe, precisely because he is not naive and stupid, that he sent his alarming email with the intention of getting it into the public domain in an effort to draw public attention to the situation on his ship. I apologize for any confusion this choice of words may have caused," 

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The worst part of the "apology" is this:

"I believe, precisely because he is not naive and stupid, that he sent his alarming email with the intention of getting it into the public domain in an effort to draw public attention to the situation on his ship. I apologize for any confusion this choice of words may have caused," 

🤦‍♂️

On 4/7/2020 at 8:21 AM, Milwaukee Eight said:

It’s not easy for those that haven’t served in the military, especially during War Time, the most sacred rule/oath, is to follow chain of command. There is a Fleet Commander aboard the Roosevelt in addition to the Captain. Typically, it’s a Rear Admiral or higher. It’s my understanding, the Captain went around the chain of command. If true, then I could see the NAVY relieving from his duties. 

On 4/7/2020 at 8:43 AM, spookwife said:

I am very good friends with the wife of someone who has served with the Ex CO.    the PTB had no choice but to remove him, regardless of their personal opinion on his  command ability or the massage he imparted.  the Navy sets great store on doing things a certain way, and he didn't.   it sucks royally, because he was only doing what was in the best interest of his crew and he knew it would  FUBAR his career.  

That is my question.  Did he initially engage the normal chain of command?  I have a feeling that he did and did not get anywhere.  Thus the letter. 

If he did engage the chain of command. Will we ever get acknowledgement or a formal notification that he did or did not, my guess we won't.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gatour said:

That is my question.  Did he initially engage the normal chain of command?  I have a feeling that he did and did not get anywhere.  Thus the letter. 

If he did engage the chain of command. Will we ever get acknowledgement or a formal notification that he did or did not, my guess we won't.

All indications are he and the Admiral did not see eye to eye on many things

• 2 weeks later...