Viking extends suspension of operations to June 30, 2020

CCWineLover

36 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I looked at booking my same cruise for next April and the same cabin for the same itinerary is 25% more in cost than what I am booked this year. I agree the extra 25% is all smoke and mirrors. If our September cruise is cancelled by Viking I will take the cash and be done with Viking Ocean.

They already have us figured for idiots given that we put up with the ridiculous advance payments and service charges disguised as "gratuities." Maybe time to show them that we aren't.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, duquephart said:

They already have us figured for idiots given that we put up with the ridiculous advance payments and service charges disguised as "gratuities." Maybe time to show them that we aren't.

If you believe that Viking figures you for idiots, then you should cancel your cruise for that reason alone.  No reason to carry a toxic chip on your shoulder on board the ship.

Edited by DaveSJ711
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I looked at booking my same cruise for next April and the same cabin for the same itinerary is 25% more in cost than what I am booked this year. I agree the extra 25% is all smoke and mirrors. If our September cruise is cancelled by Viking I will take the cash and be done with Viking Ocean.

well the same itinerary for us in 2021 is exactly the same price as the canceled cruise for this May. So we can rebook and use the additional credit to cover an extension we are interested in. So it’s not all smoke and mirrors!  Viking hasn’t raised prices on next years cruises... some prices went up for 2021, some didn’t. 

• Like 3

Edited by mhb1757
Duplicate post

Edited by mhb1757
Duplicate post

3 hours ago, duquephart said:

Our TA spoke to Viking this AM. Basically your cancelled cruise no longer exists and you would be starting over with 25% more value to play with. You need to use the credit on the re-booking or lose it. If you already had a nice stateroom, excursions, extensions booked there is little to upgrade. In that scenario the 25% is smoke and mirrors. I very much doubt it can be used for "gratuities" or bev packages.

Why do you "doubt it can be used for "gratuities" or bev packages."?

Why not?

I'd add optional excursions and cabin upgrades to that ONBOARD list as something the 25% could be used for.

Air upgrades, pre & post Viking extensions could also be uses of the 25%.  Folks like you & me who bought all in (e. g. business air, extensions) may have a tougher time spending the 25%.

Edited by philw1776
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Why do you "doubt it can be used for "gratuities" or bev packages."?

Why not?

I'd add optional excursions and cabin upgrades to that ONBOARD list as something the 25% could be used for.

Air upgrades, pre & post Viking extensions could also be uses of the 25%.  Folks like you & me who bought all in (e. g. business air, extensions) may have a tougher time spending the 25%.

Because they are not listed as examples of what the value can be used for. In situations like this what is not said is usually at least as important as what is.

Our cruise in June was cancelled, of course.  The price for next year is a little lower.  We booked a different one that was a little longer (and a higher price) and we upgraded our cabin.  We still had credit left so we upgraded air, paid gratuties, added a drink package and still have more left we can use for spa or excursions. (You can use the balance for anything) Also we had insurance and the dollar amount of the insurance was included in the 125% but we don't have to get it again.  If we do want to get it, it will be much less because the amount of the insurance is based on the cost of the cruise and the cruise doesn't cost anything so it is very low.  I would say they are being more than fair.  We are very pleased.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Socky Sunshine said:

Our cruise in June was cancelled, of course.  The price for next year is a little lower.  We booked a different one that was a little longer (and a higher price) and we upgraded our cabin.  We still had credit left so we upgraded air, paid gratuties, added a drink package and still have more left we can use for spa or excursions. (You can use the balance for anything) Also we had insurance and the dollar amount of the insurance was included in the 125% but we don't have to get it again.  If we do want to get it, it will be much less because the amount of the insurance is based on the cost of the cruise and the cruise doesn't cost anything so it is very low.  I would say they are being more than fair.  We are very pleased.

Im not sure I understand your comment about the insurance cost being so low? Even with vouchers you still have significant amount of money Invested.

I will try and do a better job of explaining. The cost of insurance of a cruise is based on the cost of the cruise.  I believe it (the insurance) was $819 per person on our old cruise. The cost of my new cruise is $0 (because of the voucher being applied to it) so the insurance is very low. I think he said it would be around $300.  I didn't sign up for it now so don't have exact amount or why it is $300.

Is that more clear?

Sharon

8 hours ago, Socky Sunshine said:

I will try and do a better job of explaining. The cost of insurance of a cruise is based on the cost of the cruise.  I believe it (the insurance) was $819 per person on our old cruise. The cost of my new cruise is $0 (because of the voucher being applied to it) so the insurance is very low. I think he said it would be around $300.  I didn't sign up for it now so don't have exact amount or why it is $300.

Is that more clear?

Sharon

The cost of the cruise and how it is paid for are two separate things. The cost of the cruise is not $0.

17 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Although our early July itinerary (we’re  watching carefully) is on the river we found that the same cruise in the same cabin would actually be $400 cheaper In 2021!  Not necessarily all smoke and mirrors ... just Viking trying to encourage you to rebook and in SOME (not all) cases helping  to cover cost increases where they exist.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

The cost of the cruise and how it is paid for are two separate things. The cost of the cruise is not $0.

Thats what I was thinking too. We had Viking trip mate for the cancelled cruise and was going to shop around for the rebooked cruise just to compare, however if we ever did have to cancel how would we ever be able to “prove” what we paid for the rebooked cruise? Years ago we had to cancel a trip and I remember having to show credit card statements showing our costs.

One possible explanation of the reduced insurance cost is not that the cruise is free but that under Viking's temporary policy all reservations made by April 30 2020 are can be canceled for a full refund up until 24 hours before the cruise departure. I verified that this DOES apply to rebooking with a voucher. So there's no (little) need for 'cancel for any reason' clauses or other cancellation of the cruise portion of your trip. Insurance would cover other things of course, airfare, trip delay, lost  luggage, medical transport, etc. 

7 hours ago, cmaasfamily said:

One possible explanation of the reduced insurance cost is not that the cruise is free but that under Viking's temporary policy all reservations made by April 30 2020 are can be canceled for a full refund up until 24 hours before the cruise departure. I verified that this DOES apply to rebooking with a voucher. So there's no (little) need for 'cancel for any reason' clauses or other cancellation of the cruise portion of your trip. Insurance would cover other things of course, airfare, trip delay, lost  luggage, medical transport, etc. 

perfect explanation...thanks

24 minutes ago, duquephart said:

We just got done reserving/re-booking the cruise we had that was cancelled. There was no break in insurance. In fact, the insurance went up due to stateromm upgrade/cost of cruise.

I did the same 3 weeks ago, but the $700 reduction in the insurance premium didn't show up until the FCC voucher (received Saturday) was applied to my balance yesterday.

On 3/30/2020 at 1:31 PM, CCWineLover said:

We received notice that Viking has extended the suspension of operations for an additional 2 months to include May and June.

Since our cruise planned is in June, we have been offered the 100% refund of monies paid or the 125% Future Cruise Voucher good for 24 months that has to be on a brand new booking.  We have only a week to decide which to take. (April 6).    Several factors come to mind - in 2021 the same cruise is almost 20 % more.   Will Viking be around for awhile?  Will there be cruising before the vaccine comes out (which could be at 12-18 months away still not until mid 2021.   Lots to think about.  What are everyone's thoughts?

Our April river cruises were canceled in the first round of suspension of Viking's operations.  The FCV can be used on an existing booking so that's what we plan to do.  I had asked Viking about the FCV being applied to an existing booking several times and the answer has always been Yes.  We have final payment on a 2021 Southeast Asia trip that is definitely more than the 125% FCV that we will get from Viking.  Our issue is that we went through a travel agency so any monies paid to them, separate from the monies paid to Viking, we needed to spend on a new booking which we did, a Viking Ukraine river cruise in the later part of 2021.  I was glad that we had the existing Southeast Asia booking to apply the 125% FCV.  The canceled April river cruises was an expensive trip since it was two river cruises & included an extension & airfare; I'm not so sure we would have found another cruise of interest to us that would have used up the entire value except for this Southeast Asia cruise.  Another interesting twist is that we got our travel insurance elsewhere.  Based on their usual policy, the travel insurance policy can be moved to another cruise as long as the cruise occurs within 2.5 years of the policy issuance.  Since we booked the canceled April cruises almost two years ago, I considered the travel insurance a lost amount. My travel agent asked for an exception to the policy and though it is not completed yet, it looks like I will be able to move that travel insurance policy to the new booking, the Ukraine river cruise.  Maybe I'm overly optimistic that cruise travel will be back at some point, but I am hoping that.

I tried to read through all the posts so I’d not repeat this info, but didn’t see another option we have with booking prior to 31 April along with the ones I’ve seen. My TA (in writing) stated that the reservation and funds can be transferred to another person. Not sure if this is ‘normal’ since I’ve never considered it. But its another positive option. 

My daughter is nervous about booking a Midnight Sun cruise May 2021 joining us, and paying the full amount later this summer and not having a committed roommate yet. She was worried she’d get stuck with a huge amount committed since the full payment was later this summer. The TA told her along with the FCC and getting a full refund if not used in 2yrs, she could also transfer the full amont over to someone else (Us of course!) and we could then use it in the next 2 years. Since we are planning on more Viking cruises, this would be a good option and it would be the two of us using the funds.......I guess my daughter also expected me to repay her too!! weird. 

Den

On 4/1/2020 at 10:42 PM, duquephart said:

How long is it taking FCVs to turn up? You'd think it would be a button push.

I haven't seen mine yet - our cancelled embarkation was April 4.  I'm hoping to see something in the next two weeks.  The last time I talked to Viking, the rep gave me the impression it would be definitely after the first week of April,; that was at least three weeks ago.

On March 11th Viking sent us a e mail cancelling our cruise on

Viking Sun for April 3, 2020 from Mumbai India to Greenwich UK.

We were already in India touring and waiting to board the cruise.

We told Viking that same day Match 11th we wanted the refund.

It's April 8th and we are still waiting for our refund.

Our cruise is scheduled for 7/11 (the Baltics).  We are waiting till the end of April, when we feel certain that Viking will be forced (as will every other cruise line in the world) to continue suspending operations.   At that time, we will take a cash refund.  I am not going to allow a company to hold onto almost $20,000 of my money, thank you very much.  Although taking the voucher seems like a good deal; as others here have pointed out; what if the company goes out of business?  Some % of these companies are bound to go under.  Many have over-expanded and are heavily in debt.  There is major resistance in the US to having taxpayer money bail out this industry - and rightly so.

I don’t think there will be much in the way of international cruising until a vaccine for Covid-19 is available.  Frankly, we don’t intend to cruise again until this is so.  I don’t expect to see any cruises until the middle of 2021, and to me that is optimistic.

• Like 1