Alaska Cruises Summer 2020

KidCruze

Does anyone else have an Alaska cruise booked this summer? With Canada closing their borders to cruise ships until July 1, there isn't much HAL can do about cruises scheduled before then. Celebrity has already canceled their cruises, but HAL is taking a wait and see approach, at least publicly. I just got off the phone with them. I was trying to move my booking to a week in July. They are advising me to not change the booking at this time. I asked where are they going to sail to if they can't stop in Canada. They are not sure at the moment.

Edited by KidCruze

2 minutes ago, KidCruze said:

Does anyone else have an Alaska cruise booked this summer? With Canada closing their borders to cruise ships until July 1, there isn't much HAL can do about cruises scheduled before then. Celebrity has already canceled their cruises, but HAL is taking a wait and see approach, at least publicly. I just got off the phone with them. I was trying to move my booking to a week in July. They are advising me to not change the booking at this time. I asked where are they going to sail to if they can't stop in Canada. They are not sure at the moment.

wow... Did it sound like they were going to cancel the remainder of the Alaska cruises anytime soon? I’m  not sure why they won’t just cancel them all, although it is probably because they want to line their pockets with more money for the refunds

I had really hoped that that was going to be part of today’s announcement. We have a June 7 cruise, 13 of us, and we only have a couple more days until our deposit turns into a 50% cancellation fee. My 95-year-old grandfather is one of the people in our party and and we are not sure if he will be able to cruise anytime after the summer. That’s why we really want the refund vs. FCC .

If we have to cancel on our own, do you happen to know how FCC works with the big party? Is it tied to each individual passenger and then that passenger has to use it? That won’t really work for us so that is why we were hoping for the refund...thanks 

Just an FYI. I cancelled my July 4th koningsdam Cruise. Even though Canada ports will allegedly open July 1, I’m not convinced they will and I don’t want to be quarantined on a ship. Not thinking Alaska cruises will be running this year. Hoping I’m wrong!  Best of luck to all  Laurie

5 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

If we have to cancel on our own, do you happen to know how FCC works with the big party? Is it tied to each individual passenger and then that passenger has to use it? That won’t really work for us so that is why we were hoping for the refund...thanks 

The FCC is tied to your Mariner number so that would mean each individual passenger.

Glacier Bay has now been officially closed until at least July 1st, so in addition to Canada not allowing any cruise ships until at least July 1st, that effectively closes a lot of the Alaska cruise season. For those who have cruises booked with HAL, you can cancel and get your money back or perhaps pay all your monies and roll the dice until they (have to) cancel and you can get all your money back or choose to keep you money "in the bank" with HAL and get 125% (+250 per room) credit toward a future cruise. We chose to keep our June cruise as schedule and paid for and will await HAL's ultimate cancellation. 

Edited by boze9999

I am Canadian. This country is taking a VERY hard line on COVID-19. When you see that Canadian ports are closed to July 1st, I would take that to mean they are closed until *at least* July 1st. Also, Seattle is now closed “until the resolution of the public health emergency.”  The article below gives some good perspective. I really don't think there will be much of an Alaska season. 

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/03/26/port-of-seattle-becomes-one-more-variable-in-alaskas-suspended-cruise-ship-season/

You also have to think about this: Suppose things were up and running mid-July or August? Would it make sense to move the ships around for a shortened season, or just keep them where they are and deploy them to the Caribbean in the fall? I mean, I'm not a mind reader, but it doesn't take too much to see that it's a pretty risky proposition to think that an Alaska cruise is going to go ahead. 

Friends  booked their FIRST cruise and on HAL because we think the health scores are good and because we love BB King.

Their cruise is to Alaska in AUG 2020.

Final payment isn't until May and I had read suggestions to delay cancelling until perhaps month before final payment in order to receive down payment.

They respect our opinion as we are seasoned cruisers.

What are your thoughts.  I told her I would ask the forum.

16 hours ago, KidCruze said:

IF Alaska is open they could run cruises out of Seattle IF they could get a waver from the Jones Act.  

5 hours ago, tinykygal said:

Friends  booked their FIRST cruise and on HAL because we think the health scores are good and because we love BB King.

Their cruise is to Alaska in AUG 2020.

Final payment isn't until May and I had read suggestions to delay cancelling until perhaps month before final payment in order to receive down payment.

They respect our opinion as we are seasoned cruisers.

Since you asked, I would cancel, get as much money back as possible and I would not give any cruise line any significant amount of money for any cruise for at least one year......too much uncertainty.

I've been cruising since 1965....a lot of years. I've never seen anything like this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Himself said:

IF Alaska is open they could run cruises out of Seattle IF they could get a waver from the Jones Act.  

A waiver is not going to occur.  Besides, it's the PVSA that applies, not the Jones Act.  

6 hours ago, tinykygal said:

In truth, I would advise them to cancel.  I've also had friends turn to me, asking about Alaska, thinking they might get some good deals when/if the cruises reopen.  I advised against it.  Even if Seattle and Vancouver reopen their ports on 1 July, I don't think cruising through these ports is a good idea this year.  I would convince them to hold off until 2021.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lstrong said:

Just an FYI. I cancelled my July 4th koningsdam Cruise. Even though Canada ports will allegedly open July 1, I’m not convinced they will and I don’t want to be quarantined on a ship. Not thinking Alaska cruises will be running this year. Hoping I’m wrong!  Best of luck to all  Laurie

The Canadian govt announced the closing of all ports to cruise ships until July 1st.  I was not able to find any reference to ports being closed after that.

Alaska this year not likely. Caribbean a bit later more possible.

24 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

The Canadian govt announced the closing of all ports to cruise ships until July 1st.  I was not able to find any reference to ports being closed after that.

Alaska this year not likely. Caribbean a bit later more possible.

Canadian government will re-assess the situation on June 30 and then decide if they will extend the port closures after July 1.  So, it's quite possible, ports will remain closed to cruise ships for many more months.

We have an Alaska Cruise booked for July 12 with the final payment coming up shortly. Our TA just called us to let us know that the final payment was pushed back to May 13th. There is hope yet, especially since we had purchased non-refundable airline tickets and non-refundable hotel for 3 nights prior in Seattle. We were on the 44 day KDam Around South America but cancelled the Wednesday before.

DD

5 hours ago, ktbraun said:

I was just looking at my scrapbook from our Alaska cruise/land trip last June.  Brought back lots of happy memories.  I hope this all ends so people can see that beautiful state again! 

Agreed.  Alaska is among the most beautiful places in the world and I hate to think people might miss out on their dream of cruising there this summer.  

I was thinking about a small ship cruise to Glacier Bay this summer, like Adventure Smith Explorations.  I wouldn't have to mess with Canada.  But now that GB closed, I'm putting this dream off til another year.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Aquahound said:

A waiver is not going to occur.  Besides, it's the PVSA that applies, not the Jones Act.  

In truth, I would advise them to cancel.  I've also had friends turn to me, asking about Alaska, thinking they might get some good deals when/if the cruises reopen.  I advised against it.  Even if Seattle and Vancouver reopen their ports on 1 July, I don't think cruising through these ports is a good idea this year.  I would convince them to hold off until 2021.  

Thank you.

These folks have taken many land trips that only some of us could dream of.

This situation for first time cruisers who were a little iffy about liking a cruise I think your advise is sport on.

Thank you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DFD1 said:

Since you asked, I would cancel, get as much money back as possible and I would not give any cruise line any significant amount of money for any cruise for at least one year......too much uncertainty.

I've been cruising since 1965....a lot of years. I've never seen anything like this.

Other friends, however, have a dream cruise in September.  Simply because they cruise 4-5x annually, they are not cancelling their cruise because RCCL will offer possibly 160% on future cruise if the cruise lines cancel.

This sure has messed up my favorite way to travel.

Thank you.

I'm booked on Noordam from Vancouver to Seward on 5/24, with my wife and her mother (2 staterooms). I'm a bit frustrated by the lack of a decision on the Alaska cruises after 5/14 bit before 7/1, as we'd like to rebook for the same cruise a year later but it's $300 more per person and includes none of the extras we had for this year (OBC, dining, and internet packages). I'm holding out for the full refund or 125% FCC offer, along with hopefully a few waiver from the airlines.

Oh, and go Dawgs!

23 hours ago, john2003 said:

I am not sure what "mess with Canada" means. I think we are all in this together. Port of Seattle is closed, GB is closed and I don't believe that Alaska wants any cruise ships either. 

Relax.  It wasn't an insult.  It just meant not having an obligatory Canada stop.