When will you cruise again?

bostonfred

I have no clue when I will cruise again.  To be honest it's the last thing on my agenda right now.  Heck, I was just glad to find a four pack of toilet paper at the Target store, even if it was cruise ship quality single-ply!  🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, MamaFej said:

You and I have "talked" on the Oceania board. You and others have been helpful as I have striven to learn about the line. Thank you.

I misspoke (mis-typed?) earlier. We are on the April 4, 2021 cruise with you and the one before, not after.The previous cruise is a 10 day RT Papeete around Tahiti, commencing on my birthday (yay!). That one is due to follow three weeks in New Zealand, following a month of cruising in Australia, New Zealand, and some of the islands of the South Pacific. 

Sounds wonderful! What line are you doing all your cruising Australia, NZ and So Pacific? And doing land tour in NZ?

We asked NCL for a refund of our cancelled 10-day Epic Southern Caribbean Cruise out of San Juan on 3/22/20. Not planning on taking any cruise for a least a year, or maybe longer. We looked at a similar NCL 7-Day Southern Caribbean out of San Juan in March 7-14 of next year, but it was going to cost $2,000 more than their cancelled 10-Day Cruise. (Both were for the 4 of us in a H-6 2BR Haven Suite.) Taking a wait and see attitude. Then Globus cancelled our 13 Day Tour to Switzerland with the Passion Play at Oberammergau Germany for this July. Because of the Corona Virus in Europe, the Passion Play has been rescheduled to begin in May of 2022. (Maybe they know more than we do.)  Also asked for a full refund of their tour.

Within the past 4 years we did: 11-Day Pride Of America (reposition after makeover) from San Francisco to Hawaii and then around the Islands, 7-Day Dawn R/T Western Caribbean from New Orleans, 14-Day Martin Luther Reformation 500 Year Reformation Tour, 10-day Gem R/T NY to Quebec City, 11-day Spirit R/T from Rome, 15-Day Epic T/A Port Canaveral to Barcelona, 19-Day Getaway T/A Copenhagen to New Orleans. So, NCL cancelling the cruise from San Juan was not a big deal. Time to take a break - until everything gets back to normal. Hopefully, we can make it to the Passion Play in 2022.   

I have 3 cruises booked, 1st one if in December, a TA which I love doing.  Great way to meet wonderful people. Next is a B2B in April 2021. I am unsure about the Dec. TA.  I'm in the 92% likely to survival area of Covid 19 category. 

I'm lucky that I don't have any immune system issues nor any ailments which require treatments or even meds, however, when I go to my favourite grocery store and there are these young people walking around in groups of 5-7 and blocking aisles so  others can't pass through, it concerns me. Some just don't get it.

Physical Distancing is very real here in my area. 

PS... Cole Thornton... I found TP-2ply ... LOL

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Is there any science behind this?  I am not aware of any "immunity" claims as of yet.  Would you mind sharing your source?  Thank you!

See the word "probably" in my post?  In general, it is usual that once a person has had a certain virus (measles, chicken pox, etc.) they develop the antibodies to it and are thereafter immune.  Whether this particular virus will follow that common pattern is not known for certain yet, which is why I used the word "probably".  The whole premise of this thread is speculation since answering the OP's question asks each of us to guess about something in the future that is right now surrounded by uncertainty. 

In this period of time most of us are focused on trying not to catch the virus.  I was projecting forward to the time when (again, "probably") many will have caught it, recovered and be ready to move on.  Remember that it's not the Black Death.  Indications are that most people will have mild or even asymptomatic cases.  For myself, I will be very surprised if I don't catch it since I live with multiple family members who are essential workers who come and go from the house every day.  So when I am asked to speculate on when I will travel again, my best guess is that it will be after I catch it and recover.      

• Like 1

I have a cruise booked April 2021 that I really want to sail on, but if things don't change drastically by then I will be forced to rethink that.  I would really like to see a vaccine be available to make me comfortable with cruising again. Being confined on a ship and/or high likelihood of being in foreign territory with the risk of a virus like this still in the air with no treatment (other than time and ventilator) is just too scary and real to me.  Oh and I am not 'too' old and have my health so it is not due to being what they deem higher risk.

Call it pessimistic, I call it realistic.  I would not even consider anything this year and have actually just canceled a land vacation that was planned to Vegas in August as there is no way I would cross borders even then.  If (when?) I might get this virus I want to be in my own Country.

Edited by poffles
  • Like 1

We have 6 couples booked from Papeete to Hawaii in Oct. Most only put $100 a couple when we booked, balance due at the end of June. So unless it's under control by then I'm sure all will cancel.

So for sh!ts and giggles I went to NCL website to see what the current pricing structure on the same cruise is. It was a bit more than $2,100 more than when we all booked (Dec of 19). Didn't enter my latitudes number, I'm sure it would have brought it down a bit.

7 minutes ago, dblwall said:

So for sh!ts and giggles I went to NCL website to see what the current pricing structure on the same cruise is. It was a bit more than $2,100 more than when we all booked (Dec of 19). Didn't enter my latitudes number, I'm sure it would have brought it down a bit.

Yes, I believe NCL is trying to dissuade people from cancelling and then later re-booking the same cruise so they have jacked up the prices.  My next cruise is in June and it would appear from our roll call that many have already cancelled.  There have got to be many empty cabins but you wouldn't know it from the website. 

Edited by Travelling2Some
typo
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

See the word "probably" in my post?  In general, it is usual that once a person has had a certain virus (measles, chicken pox, etc.) they develop the antibodies to it and are thereafter immune.  Whether this particular virus will follow that common pattern is not known for certain yet, which is why I used the word "probably".  The whole premise of this thread is speculation since answering the OP's question asks each of us to guess about something in the future that is right now surrounded by uncertainty. 

In this period of time most of us are focused on trying not to catch the virus.  I was projecting forward to the time when (again, "probably") many will have caught it, recovered and be ready to move on.  Remember that it's not the Black Death.  Indications are that most people will have mild or even asymptomatic cases.  For myself, I will be very surprised if I don't catch it since I live with multiple family members who are essential workers who come and go from the house every day.  So when I am asked to speculate on when I will travel again, my best guess is that it will be after I catch it and recover.      

Admittedly, I missed the word "probably".  Like you, I am hopeful that immunity from this virus behaves similarly to chicken pox and the like as it relates to developing immunity.  With so much research being done in such a short period of time, it is easy to miss updates on progress, which is why I asked.  Was not intending to be combative and I apologize if it came off that way.  Just hopeful...

Stay well! 

Totally understood!  I wanted to put forth a "post virus" scenario that others might not have considered.  We are all focused on avoiding the virus now but that will (hopefully!) not always be the case.  We will all have to be "post virus" one way or another to be able to travel again.  But there are different ways for a person to become "post virus" as an individual.  Yes, there may come a vaccine, but many of us will become "post virus" by actually contracting it and recovering.  I think it's human nature to think that only OTHER people will get this, but "not me".   Since my living arrangements here in the epicenter make me assume that I will catch it, I wanted to point out that some may be recovered and ready to go while others are still in the situation of trying to avoid contagion.  The answer to the OP's question may depend more on individual immunity rather than everyone becoming "safe" at the same time.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Sounds wonderful! What line are you doing all your cruising Australia, NZ and So Pacific? And doing land tour in NZ?

We are booked B2B2B on Celebrity from early February to early March. For the land time in NZ, we plan to visit my aunt for a bit and travel via train and rented camper van. None of that is booked at this point. 

A NZ member of a roll call for a cruise this fall has said that the country plans to stay "locked down" and not allow foreign tourists until there is a viable vaccine 12-18 months from now. 

It's too early to speculate whether or not any of our 2021 plans will come to fruition, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to do so. 

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Admittedly, I missed the word "probably".  Like you, I am hopeful that immunity from this virus behaves similarly to chicken pox and the like as it relates to developing immunity.  With so much research being done in such a short period of time, it is easy to miss updates on progress, which is why I asked.  Was not intending to be combative and I apologize if it came off that way.  Just hopeful...

Stay well! 

I also wanted to say that I regret it if I sound like a PITA, lol.  Unfortunately, there are some very tiresome people on these boards that just seem to live to jump all over a misplaced word to start a 20 page argument.  For that reason I try to be very precise in my word usage.  Precise word usage has the unfortunate side effect of being off-putting to many people and making one sound like some over-educated nuisance. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

I have no clue when I will cruise again.  To be honest it's the last thing on my agenda right now.  Heck, I was just glad to find a four pack of toilet paper at the Target store, even if it was cruise ship quality single-ply!  🙂

Thanks for the smile, lol!!!

I was original poster...just rescheduled our 4/21 cruise on Royal to 4/22....price comparable....this was our entire family cruising daughters, husbands and 4 grandkids...too much risk and uncertainty, plus airfare from Boston during school vacation is outrageous and do not want to lose it,,,would need to book airfare by end of May also....next up is deciding on our NCL out of San Juan 2/1/21...third cruise is supposed to be on Virgin Voyages in Sept. 21...new ship being built now...my guess is may not be completed in time due to coved 19....

these cancelled cruises are just inconveniences...many people have real problems...financial health etc....consider ourselves very lucky at this point..stay well!!😊😊

• Like 1

Wife and I talked about this and we will not be cruising again. Only because most humans dont understand that they can affect others with their dumb behaviors. We plan to buy a vacation home somewhere like Hawaii or Arizona and use that for our vacations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2020 at 1:43 PM, Travelling2Some said:

another incredibly optimistic "post virus" scenario is that it goes back to nature like SARS. If everyone followed Public Heath recommendations to the letter - everyone currently infected would survive or die and no new infections could happen.

we need health care & food, so there will be interactions between people & that unfortunately means the potential for new infections

We have a cruise booked in October and were thinking of cruising again however that will be canceled and we are still working on getting a refund for our April cruise. So, to answer the question again, we will not be cruising again until all this going on in the world is under control. As others said. Vaccine first.

I was trying to create a poll, however it doesn't seem to work, at least not for me. I was going to ask When will you cruise again?

Followed by. (1) As soon as the cruise lines open  (2) I have a cruise booked late summer / fall and will wait and see.  (3) Not until their is a vaccine. If anyone could make those questions a poll I would like to see it. I don't know why I can't create a poll

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

I was trying to create a poll, however it doesn't seem to work, at least not for me. I was going to ask When will you cruise again?

Followed by. (1) As soon as the cruise lines open  (2) I have a cruise booked late summer / fall and will wait and see.  (3) Not until their is a vaccine. If anyone could make those questions a poll I would like to see it. I don't know why I can't create a poll

Thanks

There is an poll about this on the right side of the main NCL thread page.  (very similar at least).

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 1

We are assuming our early June Baltics cruise will be cancelled.  After that I'm keeping my eye on a Panama Canal cruise that sails from New York this winter.  If that works out we will jump on at the last minute since that's our home port.   If that one is too soon, then I have one booked for Alaska next summer.  (Small deposit and I figured I'd hedge my bets in case of price hikes.)  The odds are I'm going to catch the virus soon and be among the recovered since I'm living in the epicenter with three "essential" workers.  So I will probably be either dead or good to go before the cruise lines begin to sail again!!!