Cancelled today,wait time

NW Pacific

Called at 7:35pm Oregon time, so sadly cancelled out Sept. Cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii on the Jewell. Had a $1500.00  deposit, I thought was wise to get back.  Hopefully things may be back to normal by then, but have decided to wait and see and look forward to a cruise next year. Wait was seconds and email cancellation came through while I am typing this.  Of course haven't got the refund, but was told at least 10 days. We are loyal cruisers to NCL and am sure missing not having a cruise to look forward to, but still healthy so will wait this out.  Representative was very nice and I thanked her for being there to answer my call.

7 hours ago, mnsweeps said:

10 days is laughable. Its more than 90 days or never. Start thinking about disputing your credit card charges.

Poor advise. 

A dispute is a accusation of a criminal act. And that you, as the disputer are willing to support the law enforcement in the criminal investigation (in this case an international criminal act). And should the criminal investigation find that it was a false report, the disputer could be charged by law enforcement. Just because you want a faster refund does NOT make it a criminal act. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, mnsweeps said:

10 days is laughable. Its more than 90 days or never. Start thinking about disputing your credit card charges.

Not a chance in hell I would follow advice like this from someone on a message board.  Way too much money at risk.  Do your research and find the best course of action for you.  Way too many "professionals" these days.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Poor advise. 

A dispute is a accusation of a criminal act. And that you, as the disputer are willing to support the law enforcement in the criminal investigation (in this case an international criminal act). And should the criminal investigation find that it was a false report, the disputer could be charged by law enforcement. Just because you want a faster refund does NOT make it a criminal act. 

Stop with this already.  That is not true.  While I don't agree with disputing the charge, there is no criminal investigation opened just from a dispute being filed.  The only time law enforcement gets involved is if the dispute is due to a stolen credit card being used and the merchant would have to be the one to initiate the case with LE.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Poor advise. 

Are you a lawyer?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Poor advise. 

What? No. This is so wholly wrong I can't even. In what world do you live?

A dispute is an internal mechanism the interbank network (Visa, MC, Amex, etc) provides customers to dispute transactions. That's literally it. It's a system between you and your bank and your merchant and their bank, mediated by your network. Opening a dispute does not "make it a criminal act", "an international criminal act", open a criminal investigation, etc. You're going to be kicked off the network by your bank far earlier than a criminal investigation opening up for false disputes (which I highly doubt can even be prosecuted but IANAL).

Furthermore, "goods or services not received" is a fully valid dispute code that very much applies in these times. Per Amex's Dispute Reference Guide, refunds should be issued within 24-48 hours to avoid a C08 (goods not received) or immediately upon processing the cancellation to prevent a C05 (goods cancelled) dispute. 

It's not like these systems are built to protect consumers from predatory behavior from merchants like taking 90+ days to refund several thousands of dollars. 🙄

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

The only thing I would like to add.  If you call and dispute on your credit care, make sure you tell them that NCL says they will give you a refund in ninety days and you feel that is too long to wait for your refund.  

Thats precisely I did. I told CC that they promised 7 to 14, then that changed to 3 weeks, then changed to 90 days.. 

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Poor advise. 

Thanks for another deep belly laugh!!! But wrong again as the entire community has noted. Fake news!! Many credit card companies are encouraging customers who may be experiencing issues to contact the card company. They are offering to work with their customer. The communications I've received have been void of any threat of criminal prosecution. Rest assured, the FBI is not going to get involved...they have bigger fish to fry, local law enforcement is understaffed and fighting Covid-19. So, to anyone who is harmed or may be harmed, work in good faith and move forward respectfully with your disputes despite these continued, baseless threats of involving the FBI, the CIA, the ASPCA and the MOUSE!!!

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Thanks for another deep belly laugh!!! But wrong again as the entire community has noted. Fake news!! Many credit card companies are encouraging customers who may be experiencing issues to contact the card company. They are offering to work with their customer. The communications I've received have been void of any threat of criminal prosecution. Rest assured, the FBI is not going to get involved...they have bigger fish to fry, local law enforcement is understaffed and fighting Covid-19. So, to anyone who is harmed or may be harmed, work in good faith and move forward respectfully with your disputes despite these continued, baseless threats of involving the FBI, the CIA, the ASPCA and the MOUSE!!!

+1 . LOL.. agree. In the age of internet, I was thinking most folks have basic knowledge but I was wrong.

2 minutes ago, mnsweeps said:

+1 . LOL.. agree. In the age of internet, I was thinking most folks have basic knowledge but I was wrong.

How about these folks

https://www.elliott.org/the-troubleshooter/never-report-credit-card-charge-fraudulent/

they handle disputes with companies for a living. Do you think they have basic knowledge and know what they are talking about?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mnsweeps said:

Dispute your CC charges, and two things will happen. First you will lose the fight and second you are likely to be blacklisted by NCL.

53 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

How about these folks

https://www.elliott.org/the-troubleshooter/never-report-credit-card-charge-fraudulent/

they handle disputes with companies for a living. Do you think they have basic knowledge and know what they are talking about?

They are going to learn the hard way how the chargeback system works and how much it favors the merchant.  On the merchant side I have never lost a chargeback on the initial dispute unless it was a stolen card that was used.  I have lost arbitration hearings but if they have to go to arbitration they are not going to fully get their money back until 3-4 months down the line when they were going to get it in 90 days anyways.  Credit Card companies make it seem like they work for the card holder but its the merchant that is paying them.  

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 1

It is openly encouraged to book any holiday with payment or part payment, even with part payment the whole amount is repaid, I may add in the U.K. if a company cancels (airline cruise co) on you, they must repay in full in 10 days.

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

How about these folks

Did you read the article you posted? It talks about marking charges as fraudulent, not disputing valid charges for reasons relating to cancellations and refunds not being issued in a tiny matter. They're two completely different things, and you conflating them does nothing but harm others who are trying to receive the money they deserve.

In the article, the person claimed the charge is fraudulent (as in, they were not the ones purchasing it) right after returning from their vacation, essentially buyer's remorse. Buyer's remorse isn't, in any way shape or form the same thing as the company cancelling the service they promised to provide and then fail to refund the money in a timely manner.

Especially since the article even mentions various reasons for valid disputes:

The Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA) was created to protect consumers against credit card billing errors and fraud. The following are examples of the types of charges that consumers can ask their credit card company to reverse and investigate:

1. If the merchant never sent the product.
  2. Items that the merchant delivered, but were not as described.
  3. Charges for which the consumer asked for an explanation, but the merchant refused.
  4. Errors that involve the cost of the item. For instance, your receipt shows one price, and your credit card invoice shows another.
  5. Fraudulent or unauthorized charges.

At this point, the merchant is very much not going to send the purchased product (in this case, the cruise).

2 hours ago, mynameisvlad said:

Did you read the article you posted? It talks about marking charges as fraudulent, not disputing valid charges for reasons relating to cancellations and refunds not being issued in a tiny matter. They're two completely different things, and you conflating them does nothing but harm others who are trying to receive the money they deserve.

In the article, the person claimed the charge is fraudulent (as in, they were not the ones purchasing it) right after returning from their vacation, essentially buyer's remorse. Buyer's remorse isn't, in any way shape or form the same thing as the company cancelling the service they promised to provide and then fail to refund the money in a timely manner.

Especially since the article even mentions various reasons for valid disputes:

The Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA) was created to protect consumers against credit card billing errors and fraud. The following are examples of the types of charges that consumers can ask their credit card company to reverse and investigate:

1. If the merchant never sent the product.
  2. Items that the merchant delivered, but were not as described.
  3. Charges for which the consumer asked for an explanation, but the merchant refused.
  4. Errors that involve the cost of the item. For instance, your receipt shows one price, and your credit card invoice shows another.
  5. Fraudulent or unauthorized charges.

At this point, the merchant is very much not going to send the purchased product (in this case, the cruise).

Right...but that is only for products never delivered. When they merchant acknowledges the inability to deliver AND agrees to a refund, you lose out on the "valid dispute" part. Being impatient and not wanting to wait for the refund is not a listed reason.

Like the company in the example article, NCL has agreed to refund money for cancelled cruises for those who elect a refund. Their agreement and willingness to do so negates any reason you might have for disputing the charge to which you agreed. The fact that you just don't want to wait doesn't negate that.

• Like 1

Here is how the chargeback system works when you approach it in good faith. No fraud threats, no criminal investigations, no fear mongering. Good grief, people. Stop already.

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding a charge on your account. We're happy to investigate this for you. In the meantime, we have applied a provisional credit to your account and notified the merchant of this situation. Here is the case number for your record:

Case Number:2003xxxx
Merchant Name:
Dispute Amount:$xxxx.xx

In most cases, the provisional credit we've applied will remain on your account. However, if the merchant provides documentation that shows the charge is valid, we will remove the provisional credit and notify you with a copy of the information provided from the merchant. Otherwise, the provisional credit will become permanent. This process typically takes less than sixty days, though more complex cases may require additional time.

You can review the status of this investigation at any time by visiting ...... or by calling our Billing Assistance team from 6:30AM to 1:00AM (ET) every day at 1-800-...

5 hours ago, zqvol said:

Dispute your CC charges, and two things will happen. First you will lose the fight and second you are likely to be blacklisted by NCL.

What about the criminal investigation and FBI and CIA getting involved? That's the best part, isn't it? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Edited by blcruising
  • Haha 1

I called this afternoon at about 1600hr EDT, and also had no wait to cancel my Alaska trip. I was hoping to be able to rebook Alaska for next year right away, but have to wait for the credit to clear, unless I want to give them more money 🤣. They were saying a week for it to clear for me. 

If I had a cheaper/ Carribbean  cruise planned I’d make final payment next month and wait and see what happens. Hope my refund clears quickly, but I’m not holding my breath. I’ll just have to check NCL everyday and see if it’s cleared yet, and if doesn’t clear next week I’ll probably call again. 

Hi there , am the original poster. Wow, my post has taken off in a different direction than intended.  I have no reason yet to dispute charges/refund. I will wait, after 15 days if no refund to my credit card I will contact Bank and ask them  how to proceed to recover my deposit.  We all are having so much stress, lets not add more.  My post as clearly stated was about no call waiting time and an email confirmation confirming cancellation.  when/If I get my refund, if I can find this post, I will let you all know how long it took.