New (Lower) FCC Offer for Cancelled Cruises

DojoMojo

Australian cruises have been cancelled till June 15th, in accordance with Australian Govt requirements.

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/australia-cancelled-voyages.html

Interestingly, the compensation for passengers on these newly cancelled voyages seems less generous than previous cancellations.  

Previous cancellations from 60-day pause: 
Option A: 100% FCC + 50-125% Bonus FCC (depending on how far away the departure was)
Option B: 100% Refund + 25-100% Bonus FCC

Latest cancellations in Australia:
Option A: 100% FCC + $50-$5000 bonus FCC (depending on the cruise length - $500 or less for cruises under 25 days)
Option B: 100% Refund + NO Bonus FCC

I don't know if this new policy is unique to Australian cruises, but it's not entirely unexpected given the likely cash-flow situation.  Maybe a sign of things to come for Alaska cruises as well ...

Edited by DojoMojo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saw that too.  Might change our decision to make final payment this week on a upcoming cruise that is almost certain to be cancelled.  This was previously worth considering to get the deposit back in cash + some FCC when the cancellation came. 

Without the extra FCC might as well not tie my money up as the risk vs reward dynamic has changed.

• Like 3

Save your money guys and maybe better stay at home. Vacation can wait. Its better to save some money now to have a better trip next year than get sick/lose money now and suffer from those loses. I have chosen to stay at home this year as well as many other my fellow friends and relatives. Dont see a single reason to risk going anywhere at the moment. Especially with 70% of the world which closed its borders.. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Save your money guys and maybe better stay at home. Vacation can wait. Its better to save some money now to have a better trip next year than get sick/lose money now and suffer from those loses. I have chosen to stay at home this year as well as many other my fellow friends and relatives. Dont see a single reason to risk going anywhere at the moment. Especially with 70% of the world which closed its borders.. 

I don't think the previous posters were considering going on their booked cruise. They had been thinking of paying the balance, so when the cruise was cancelled by Princess, they would receive a full refund + a bonus in FCC. In this latest announcement of cancellations, the 'bonus' is very little - not worth paying the balance for a cruise then waiting for it to be refunded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think the previous posters were considering going on their booked cruise. They had been thinking of paying the balance, so when the cruise was cancelled by Princess, they would receive a full refund + a bonus in FCC. In this latest announcement of cancellations, the 'bonus' is very little - not worth paying the balance for a cruise then waiting for it to be refunded.

Yes, this.

• Thanks 1

I received my 100 percent FCC last night. The bonus for Option 1 is still to come. My TA was told by Princess I qualify for Option 1. Cruise was March 7/20 cancelled March 6/20.  My call to Princess this week was told I do not get Option 1. My TA is dealing with this reversal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

This cruises were cancelled farther out. Mine was going to occur in just over 30 days.

Not sure if you are responding to my post.

I really don't think there is any rhyme or reason to how or when cruiselines are doing these refunds/FCC.

On another cruise board someone who cancelled After me, was cruising After me has received his FCC too.

1 hour ago, dog said:

Not sure if you are responding to my post.

I really don't think there is any rhyme or reason to how or when cruiselines are doing these refunds/FCC.

On another cruise board someone who cancelled After me, was cruising After me has received his FCC too.

No.

I was basically saying that a June or July Alaskan cruise probably won't get as much compensation as someone whose cruise was cancelled 1-30 days out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are 46 days out from our R/T LA to LA Alaska cruise on the Golden (16/5/20). We were hoping for some OBC or FCC to offset the loss of over $1200 in OBC that we had on this cruise. Just wishing that PCL would make an announcement.

19 hours ago, WmFCoyote said:

We are 46 days out from our R/T LA to LA Alaska cruise on the Golden (16/5/20). We were hoping for some OBC or FCC to offset the loss of over $1200 in OBC that we had on this cruise. Just wishing that PCL would make an announcement.

I think future compensations are going to look a lot like the current Aussie ones

Edited by Ombud

19 hours ago, WmFCoyote said:

There will be plenty of promos in the future.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

There will be plenty of promos in the future.

The cruisers will be overbooked next year. The demand will be super high. I would save some money now and not risk to purchase them at the moment. The thing is you might get even better deal without risking losing it because you purchased it this year. Who knows, what if some crisis will pop up again. It would be devestating for those you have purchased 2021 cruises.. 

I’m sad.  I just cancelled Alaska for late August.  I had been upgraded and got the Thanksgiving Deal and then added Best Sale Ever.  They told me I would get a refund in 3-4 weeks to original form of payment.  

Cancelling a cruise is minor when so many are sick and dying.  I’m still sad but everything in the world right now is just overwhelming.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WmFCoyote said:

I recently realized that, in general, FCC was not as good as I had thought. I thought 'OK you get the same cruise later on', now I realize a current cruise might have a super low price plus nice OBC, let's say $1,000 fare. The same future cruise might be $1,200 and no OBC. Obviously I had not thought this through and equally obviously you might take a different future cruise, longer, shorter with very different fare structure. Maybe even a different class of cabin . Also you might have booked under Sip & Sail, which might not apply to future cruise. I guess Princess can only refund what you paid and not take any Perks into consideration. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tedferg said:

I recently realized that, in general, FCC was not as good as I had thought. I thought 'OK you get the same cruise later on', now I realize a current cruise might have a super low price plus nice OBC, let's say $1,000 fare. The same future cruise might be $1,200 and no OBC. Obviously I had not thought this through and equally obviously you might take a different future cruise, longer, shorter with very different fare structure. Maybe even a different class of cabin . Also you might have booked under Sip & Sail, which might not apply to future cruise. I guess Princess can only refund what you paid and not take any Perks into consideration. 

That's why we are waiting them out for them to cancel. We do not want FCC!! 

How did Cyn Cyn get a promised refund if they cancelled, not Princess?

3 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

That's why we are waiting them out for them to cancel. We do not want FCC!! 

How did Cyn Cyn get a promised refund if they cancelled, not Princess?

It was before final payment date. I think 151 days. No penalties for canceling at that time. 

21 minutes ago, CynCyn said:

It was before final payment date. I think 151 days. No penalties for canceling at that time. 

Got it. Our cruise is May 16th and we paid our balance on Feb 10th.

Maureen.

5 hours ago, Sail4th said:

What happens to the OBC you have on a cancelled cruise? 

It depends.  If you bought it, it's refunded. If it's 'gifted' (as in promo OBC) it goes away whether you or Princess cancels it or you refare it.

39 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

Maureen.

Ours was May 28 and we paid our balance in Feb also, but check your booking document, ours said if we cancel by today April 1 we get everything back in cash except our cancellation fee which as of today was just $200.  

image.thumb.png.74780e603ba1ff5d171163087b990a61.png

Edited by cruisegal415

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

Maureen.

That’s a bummer.  I hope you get resolution soon.  After the events this week I just decided I didn’t want them holding my $$ in hopes of more credit.

2 hours ago, cruisegal415 said:

Ours was May 28 and we paid our balance in Feb also, but check your booking document, ours said if we cancel by today April 1 we get everything back in cash except our cancellation fee which as of today was just $200.  

image.thumb.png.74780e603ba1ff5d171163087b990a61.png

I checked the cancellation policy and ours says that we would only get 50 % back at this stage. We will wait till they cancel.

2 hours ago, CynCyn said:

That’s a bummer.  I hope you get resolution soon.  After the events this week I just decided I didn’t want them holding my $$ in hopes of more credit.

Not interested in credit, the same cruise will not be at the same price so it will end up costing us more money next year. Want a full refund only.

Maureen.

• Like 1