Loyal To Royal???

JDGGG

Understanding that there is a worldwide pandemic and there is so much uncertainty in regards to cruising, I am shocked at the lack of empathy from the reps at Royal. As a huge supporter of all Royal brands (Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Azamara) I cannot believe the way I was treated. 

Long story short, I had the 7/3 Alaska cruise on Ovation booked with my family (3 balcony cabins) for a milestone occasion. We were still willing to go as long as they sail. When calling Royal yesterday we simply asked if we could extend our final payment (due Friday) other than laying out an additional $6,000 during these incredibly difficult times. The rep said no and no refunds. We cancelled and will call Amex to dispute the funds that royal has so far. Looks like our cruising days might be over. Sad times for sure. 

Anyone else have similar experiences?

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Why? Because they are enforcing their current policy?

Maybe because a lot of people are out of work and trying to figure out how to spread the money around to pay the various bills that keep showing up in the mailbox?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Iamcruzin said:

What funds does Royal have if you canceled before final payment. Any pre paid excursions, dining and drink packages  should be refunded automatically.

Almost $2,000 in down payments. 

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

Maybe because a lot of people are out of work and trying to figure out how to spread the money around to pay the various bills that keep showing up in the mailbox?

Exactly Ocean Boy. I don't have a 2.2 billion line of credit like Royal does. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JDGGG said:

The rep said no and no refunds.

Royal's Cruise with Confidence policy was revised yesterday to include sailings thru Sept 1, 2020.  So I don't understand why they'd say no refunds.  I must be missing something.   

I can understand them not extending the final payment date.  But I don't understand the no refund response you were given.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The OP's issue is the same regardless of C&A level and it's current RCI policy. This is yet another case of someone not liking a policy and calling that "bad treatment".

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sherri914 said:

Royal's Cruise with Confidence policy was revised yesterday to include sailings thru Sept 1, 2020.  So I don't understand why they'd say no refunds.  I must be missing something.   

There are no refunds until RCI cancels the sailing. If you cancel, you only get an FCC.

• Like 1

Just now, Sherri914 said:

I can understand them not extending the final payment date.  But I don't understand the no refund response you were given.

Yeah I started this thread out of frustration. Not sure why they won't refund. Amex did the right thing and already credited my account. They can fight it out with Royal. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JDGGG said:

I guess so. Didn't think a worldwide pandemic was going to happen. Shame on me 😗.

Well if it wasn't a pandemic it could have been something else. Trust me as someone who is unemployed I understand but that's what you signed up for.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sherri914 said:

I'm going to be in a similar position when my final payment for a November cruise comes due.  I have a non refundable deposit, but I did book last fall - long before Corona -and have insurance, so not sure if the Corona thing is covered or not - will have to look at the policy and see what it says.  Bottom line is if I have to I will go ahead and pay and if things aren't back up and running, then I will get a credit.  I had a June cruise that was canceled and have been offered and accepted a full credit.

1 minute ago, mek said:

I'm going to be in a similar position when my final payment for a November cruise comes due.  I have a non refundable deposit, but I did book last fall - long before Corona -and have insurance, so not sure if the Corona thing is covered or not - will have to look at the policy and see what it says.  Bottom line is if I have to I will go ahead and pay and if things aren't back up and running, then I will get a credit.  I had a June cruise that was canceled and have been offered and accepted a full credit.

We have a non-refundable for a November cruise as well, but I'm hopeful things will be looking up by then  - at least for the Caribbean sailings. 

6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

There are no refunds until RCI cancels the sailing. If you cancel, you only get an FCC.

Ahhh.  Okay, that's where the sticking point is.  FCC vs. Refund.   Thanks!   

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The OP's issue is the same regardless of C&A level and it's current RCI policy. This is yet another case of someone not liking a policy and calling that "bad treatment".

Where did the OP bring up his C&A level? This isn't about not liking policy. It is about being in tough times and trying to still find a way to make the cruise work. Isn't it better for both parties for RCI to be a little flexible rather than for RCI to play hardball and lose the $6000 completely instead of getting it a little late?

• Like 8

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

Where did the OP bring up his C&A level? This isn't about not liking policy. It is about being in tough times and trying to still find a way to make the cruise work. Isn't it better for both parties for RCI to be a little flexible rather than for RCI to play hardball and lose the $6000 completely instead of getting it a little late?

Thanks for understanding Ocean Boy. I wasn't trying to be controversial. I was simply asking if anyone had a similar situation. My C & A status is insignificant. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

I understand but who says OP would make the final payment at a later date?  OP didn’t state how far out they were asking for an extension. What if everyone could do this. COVID affects everyone. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JDGGG said:

Yeah I started this thread out of frustration. Not sure why they won't refund. Amex did the right thing and already credited my account. They can fight it out with Royal. 

Would be very surprised if that chargeback is not reversed.  Amex is very pro merchant and Royal will just need to show the cancellation policy you agreed to when you booked.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I understand but who says OP would make the final payment at a later date?  OP didn’t state how far out they were asking for an extension. What if everyone could do this. COVID affects everyone. 

I provide services every day and hope people, or their insurance, is going to make payment at a later date. At least RCI hasn't ready provided the service and is hoping to get paid for it.

• Like 3