Loyal To Royal???

JDGGG

8 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We have always used a TA and final payment was 12 weeks.

Deposits are always non refundable for UK bookings.

Ta's are usually 4 weeks ahead of Royal direct

Edited by bigeck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That's TA's final payment date - not RCI's.

I have always got a good deal with my TA and final payment date has never bothered us.

It's only since TC went bust and Royal accepted the booking with TC deal included that I noticed the later final payment date.

1 hour ago, Liljo22 said:

Would be very surprised if that chargeback is not reversed.  Amex is very pro merchant and Royal will just need to show the cancellation policy you agreed to when you booked.

Yes, I agree Am Ex is pro merchant.  I had a dispute over a charge and they paid it anyhow and I am livid and opened up another dispute with them.   I use them almost exclusively spend thousands and they did that to me?🤬

Sorry to go off topic.

I am very surprised that AMEX credited your account.  You willingly booked NRD with the understanding that it is NON-REFUNDABLE due to RCCL policy and final payment is due by certain date.  By contacting AMEX with a dispute for something you willing did and getting AMEX to credit your account you in essence committed credit card fraud.  RCCL was following their policies at the time of you booking the cruise and those policies are still in effect.

RCCL may change their mind and eat the cost but not.  Then one of two things would happen AMEX will eat the cost or will re-institute the charge to your card.  Unless you are Black card holder or perhaps a long term Platinum the former is unlikely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I kinda read it as the OP really likes the RCI product.

It's really no biggee but for me...the OP didn't say he 'liked' anything. One would assume this of course. But the OP did specifically mention the three brands... Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Alzara

with words of huge & supporter

Huge = big, large, alot

Support = financially invested, dropping bucks, spending/spent money

He considered himself to be a huge supporter. He stated he was seeking empathy. And in his mind he wanted an entitlement that was not forthcoming. There is absolutely nothing wrong in this thought process really. All of us to some level want to be thought of as special if we drop mega bucks to a company. It's a human nature. Asking for them to perhaps back off the due date because of the current situation w/ CV19 is not out of line. But IMO, what is indifferent is that he is seeking emotional assistance from this board because the request fell short of his expectations.  The fact is, that the CV19 is not the fault of either party. The decision was his to make, either fork out more money or not. He didn't want to face that decision because he has $2000 in deposits sitting in the balance. 

Either fish or cut bait.  In this case, if he fishes, it's $6000, if not his bait cost him $2000

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, gatour said:

I am very surprised that AMEX credited your account.  You willingly booked NRD with the understanding that it is NON-REFUNDABLE due to RCCL policy and final payment is due by certain date.  By contacting AMEX with a dispute for something you willing did and getting AMEX to credit your account you in essence committed credit card fraud.  RCCL was following their policies at the time of you booking the cruise and those policies are still in effect.

RCCL may change their mind and eat the cost but not.  Then one of two things would happen AMEX will eat the cost or will re-institute the charge to your card.  Unless you are Black card holder or perhaps a long term Platinum the former is unlikely.

The credit card will give a temporary credit until a decision on the dispute is made.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JDGGG said:

Yeah I started this thread out of frustration. Not sure why they won't refund. Amex did the right thing and already credited my account. They can fight it out with Royal. 

That temporary credit will be reversed in a couple days, Royal has the legal high ground here. You need to call Royal back because under the cruise with confidence policy, they will refund the deposits 

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You need to call Royal back because under the cruise with confidence policy, they will refund the deposits 

Pretty sure that was why OP called, they will only refund if RCI cancels the sailing.

• Like 1

We have 3 OV cabins booked (NRD) on the Majesty out of New Orleans in mid-September for us and our kids with spouses. Our DS (in San Francisco) just got laid off from work; however, since we are paying all of the costs for them, we are hoping that all of us are still able to go. Final payment (around $3k) is due on June 21st and we don't intend to cancel, so will pay it. My question is (if anybody has any idea) is that, if RCI cancels that cruise, can I apply any of that $$$ to any of the 8 other cruises that we have booked or does it have to be a new booking? We have cruises booked as far out as April, 2022. Sorry if I've hijacked this thread. Thanks for your opinions!

8 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

My question is (if anybody has any idea) is that, if RCI cancels that cruise, can I apply any of that $$$ to any of the 8 other cruises that we have booked or does it have to be a new booking?

If you opt for an FCC (issued in the name of people on current booking), you can apply that to any booking, new or existing. You have a lot more flexibility if you simply opt for a refund. BTW, if circumstances are that bad that RCI cancels a mid-Sept sailing, cruising may not be most folks' top priority, even here on CC.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JDGGG said:

Understanding that there is a worldwide pandemic and there is so much uncertainty in regards to cruising, I am shocked at the lack of empathy from the reps at Royal. As a huge supporter of all Royal brands (Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Azamara) I cannot believe the way I was treated. 

Long story short, I had the 7/3 Alaska cruise on Ovation booked with my family (3 balcony cabins) for a milestone occasion. We were still willing to go as long as they sail. When calling Royal yesterday we simply asked if we could extend our final payment (due Friday) other than laying out an additional $6,000 during these incredibly difficult times. The rep said no and no refunds. We cancelled and will call Amex to dispute the funds that royal has so far. Looks like our cruising days might be over. Sad times for sure. 

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Yes, our family cruise...almost the same scenario...but a month earlier.  Allure, out of Barcelona, with this pandemic problem only in it's infancy.  Yes, also several milestones/celebrations...graduation, birthday, 50th anniversary...with original flower girl showing up as a surprise.  We asked to extend the final payment for a week (just to see if there would be any changes. Spain and Italy ports were on the itinerary.)  The answer was "No".

Ironically or regrettably, Royal Caribbean announced a week later (I think it was March 6th) their "Cruise with Confidence" policy.

Disclosure: Here's the sad part...all bookings were originally all refundable.  To save money, all bookings were changed to "NRD" in January...when all of us got our airfares and hotels....sigh.

5 hours ago, JDGGG said:

I guess so. Didn't think a worldwide pandemic was going to happen. Shame on me 😗.

This is always what people say after the fact. I don’t understand why so few people buy insurance. I always pay the extra cost for the refundable deposit (it’s only like $100/person), and I buy the cancel for any reason insurance. And I do it expecting to never have to use it. This time, I did need it, and am so thankful I paid the extra money for that safety net.

6 hours ago, JDGGG said:

We were still willing to go as long as they sail. When calling Royal yesterday we simply asked if we could extend our final payment (due Friday) other than laying out an additional $6,000 during these incredibly difficult times. The rep said no and no refunds. We cancelled and will call Amex to dispute the funds that royal has so far.

If you’re willing to take the cruise as long as it sails, then why not just pay the final payment on it’s current due date? If the cruise gets cancelled, you’ll have the option for a refund at that time, and if it’s not cancelled, you get to take the cruise.

Disputing the charge because they won’t change your final payment date makes absolutely no sense under the circumstances you presented here.

You should have booked a refundable deposit, or, purchased cancel for any reason insurance. You did neither, because you “didn’t think this would happen” and now you want your money back.

I just can’t even begin to feel sorry for this scenario. Nothing in here seems unfair except for you making a false claim to your credit card company. 

49 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

This is always what people say after the fact. I don’t understand why so few people buy insurance. I always pay the extra cost for the refundable deposit (it’s only like $100/person), and I buy the cancel for any reason insurance. And I do it expecting to never have to use it. This time, I did need it, and am so thankful I paid the extra money for that safety net.

When I was looking at booking Odyssey for next January it was over $400 for a refundable deposit for a ship that was way overpriced. So it is back to Oasis for me.🙂

• Like 2

I dont think your cruising times are over my friend. Just save some money and maybe go on a cheaper cruise. or just find a new way to travel. You can always enjoy the beach,

go hiking etc. the only thing, I hope you get your money back. With cash in your pocket its easier to solve things. Hope pandemic didnt affect you aside from losing the trip 

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

When I was looking at booking Odyssey for next January it was over $400 for a refundable deposit for a ship that was way overpriced. So it is back to Oasis for me.🙂

57 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I agree.  The price difference between refundable and nonrefundable is quite variable.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I dont think your cruising times are over my friend. Just save some money and maybe go on a cheaper cruise. or just find a new way to travel. You can always enjoy the beach,

go hiking etc. the only thing, I hope you get your money back. With cash in your pocket its easier to solve things. Hope pandemic didnt affect you aside from losing the trip 

Yeah I'm sure I'll be back on a cruise at some point. I just wish Royal was a bit more flexible. These are unprecedented times and certain policies can and should be relaxed.