Jay Williams of ESPN proposes NBA playoffs to go forward on 2 cruise ships

ontheweb

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

This would be funny if I didn't think this man is serious.  

I do believe he was serious, though no one else is taking this proposal seriously. I did not hear him originally state this on Golic and Wingo, but I did hear him today of First Take.

59 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I do believe he was serious, though no one else is taking this proposal seriously. I did not hear him originally state this on Golic and Wingo, but I did hear him today of First Take.

If serious, ESPN needs to give him his walking papers as a commentator.

What about all of the high school and college spring sports athletes that have been denied a proper end of their season?  Why should the NBA have a proper conclusion to their season?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

What about all of the high school and college spring sports athletes that have been denied a proper end of their season?  Why should the NBA have a proper conclusion to their season?  

$$$$$????????

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

With no live sports to broadcast, they have multiple hours to fill. This accomplished that. He said it on one program, Golic and Wingo, and then their other talk shows booked him to discuss this (and basically argue with him that it made no sense).

But I do think that the NBA will attempt if possible to bring their season to a conclusion.

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

There really is a difference between a professional league like the NBA and high school and college. The students move on. In high school they graduate. In college maybe some graduate and others declare to go pro. In both the school year come to an end. In a professional league they could presumably just change the date their season would end.

On 3/31/2020 at 8:24 PM, ldubs said:

Think ancient Rome and how the commoners were kept happy. 😄

Ah, someone else who knows a bit of ancient history.  

Your thinking mirrors mine.  No MLB?  No NFL?  Even if such games occur, will a shortened season be enough for those fans?

Personally, if social distancing needs to remain for many more months, having games played in an empty stadium of guests would be more satisfying than having no games at all.  

For the players, MLB wouldn't be too much of a problem.  For the NFL, if it comes to that, social distancing for most positions would certainly be a problem.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Your thinking mirrors mine.  No MLB?  No NFL?  Even if such games occur, will a shortened season be enough for those fans?

Personally, if social distancing needs to remain for many more months, having games played in an empty stadium of guests would be more satisfying than having no games at all.  

For the players, MLB wouldn't be too much of a problem.  For the NFL, if it comes to that, social distancing for most positions would certainly be a problem.  

Virtual sports may become a reality.  (Hmmm, did I really say that, LOL)

10 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Basketball, hockey, and to a somewhat lesser extent soccer would also have problems with social distancing. 

Recent changes in baseball rules such as you can no longer take out the catcher in a collision or what you can and cannot do in trying to break up a doubleplay at second base would make it easier to practice social distancing.

I guess players in all sports would have to end celebrating with high fives and group hugs. 

14 hours ago, ldubs said:

Virtual sports may become a reality.  (Hmmm, did I really say that, LOL)

I think I saw something about this happening with NASCAR.

I wonder how much of an effect no audience would have on the games.  I know crowd noise has been cited as a factor at both Pittsburgh and Penn State for football.  

3 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Was this part of April Fool's Day?

3 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Was this part of April Fool's Day?

No, I believe he first made this proposal Monday, which would still be in March.

6 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I wonder how much of an effect no audience would have on the games.  I know crowd noise has been cited as a factor at both Pittsburgh and Penn State for football.  

I played semi pro basketball for two seasons.We played our best games when we played in an arena that was filled to capacity.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

They might have to fake that too,  like canned laughter on TV shows.   Except in this case it will be canned cheering, jeering, booing, etc.  

On 4/2/2020 at 11:55 PM, ldubs said:

They might have to fake that too,  like canned laughter on TV shows.   Except in this case it will be canned cheering, jeering, booing, etc.  

My best friend of 71 years died this morning from Corona Virus after being hospitalized the past 15 days.I am an emotional wreck.

Thank you for all your kind words ,I truly appreciate them.

Lenny

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

My best friend of 71 years died this morning from Corona Virus after being hospitalized the past 15 days.I am an emotional wreck.

Lenny

Oh, Lenny.  I am so sorry for your loss.

Our prayers are with you in this difficult time.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Lenny

To put it bluntly, that sucks.

Hope you and your family stay well.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Lenny

I cannot imagine the distress.  I am very sorry.  Please try hard to take care of yourself.   

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Lenny

Psalm 23:  may it bring you comfort.