Norwegian....Take notice! A despicable policy.

pianobar

I am surprised that those of you from the US don't have an established timeline for that. In the EU it is afaik 7 days for flights and 14 days for travel packages which includes cruises. Lobbying of the travel industry seems to be successful though to have that changed.

I have filed claims for the deposit and full payment (different credit cards) yesterday and don't expect any problems.

I have other business like my gym and one airline that has been very honest, communicative and service oriented with the situation where I accept vouchers and other goodies and keep the cash at the company. It just depends how you treat your customers. But when a business like the cruise lines try to screw the customers and lie to them, their problem. 

47 minutes ago, ukbecky said:

When does it stop being"Impatience"?

100 days? 200 days? 2 years?

How long is NCL allowed to keep the cash just because they can/choose to?

Exactly.  I have a letter from NCL that says I will not receive a refund for a minimum of 104 days.  Some here believe the delay of 104 days to start processing refunds is totally reasonable.  To those people I ask the same question: what is an unreasonable time-frame?  180 days?  360 days?  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Newleno said:

the argument is i paid for a cruise the cruise was cancelled I want my money back for services not rendered, this is not a hard concept to understand  and it is 100 percent the truth.  your answer was of no benefit, the question was directed at people in the know about how to get the refund.  Easy Peasy Quick and Easy EPQE

I don't disagree...and said as much in my post. The only thing you left out is that while you want a refund, the cruise line has agreed to give you a refund within 90 days. You don't want to wait 90 days. 100 percent the truth.

Forget the angles and workarounds...since you're not afraid of the truth, call your credit card's customer service.

Tell them that you booked and paid for a cruise with your card...100% the truth.

Tell them that the COVID-19 shutdown cancelled your cruise...100% the truth.

Tell them that you want a refund...100% the truth.

Tell them that the cruise line has agreed to give you a refund within 90 days...100% the truth.

Tell them that you and the folks chatting on Cruise Critic have agreed that refunds should NEVER take that long and should be pretty darn close to immediate, and that you don't want to wait 90 days...100% the truth.

Tell them everything above...don't leave any of the truth out.

Then ask them: "How can I use the chargeback process to get my money back now so that I don't have to wait?"

Go ahead...you've got the truth on your side. Just lay it out and be honest about it. You want to know how to get a refund? Just call and tell the truth. What could be more EPQE than that?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

What could be more EPQE than that?

For NCL just to do the right thing can give people there money back for a service that they did not receive!  Thats what I would do, I would also apologize.

3 minutes ago, mynameisvlad said:

This is not what they agreed to. They agreed to give a refund after 90 days.

Not exactly...

"Those guests can request a refund of the fare paid to be reimbursed to the original form of payment 90 days after completing the request form..."

The only after (since you bolded it) was 90 days after completing the form, not refund after 90 days. Be honest. Stop the Cruise Critic histrionics and just call your credit card issuer and lay it out.

One thing for certain...you can post here till your keyboard falls apart and it won't speed up your refund...so why post instead of calling? Some people, not me of course, might thing you'd rather complain on a forum than get the refund.

3 minutes ago, Newleno said:

For NCL just to do the right thing can give people there money back for a service that they did not receive!  Thats what I would do, I would also apologize.

But they ARE giving the money back (to those who do want the refund option)...so what is the problem? 

Is it the time factor? You know, the one I mentioned earlier?

3 minutes ago, mynameisvlad said:

This is not what they agreed to. They agreed to give a refund after 90 days.

Yes, and there's a big distinction between "within 90 days" and "after 90 days."  "Within 90 days" means you could potentially get your refund tomorrow.  The merchant saying they are not going to begin refunds until 90 days after April 13 is a huge difference.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

Not exactly...

"Those guests can request a refund of the fare paid to be reimbursed to the original form of payment 90 days after completing the request form..."

The only after (since you bolded it) was 90 days after completing the form, not refund after 90 days. Be honest. Stop the Cruise Critic histrionics and just call your credit card issuer and lay it out.

One thing for certain...you can post here till your keyboard falls apart and it won't speed up your refund...so why post instead of calling? Some people, not me of course, might thing you'd rather complain on a forum than get the refund.

If we want to get technical about it, it would be 104 days since they force you to wait 2 weeks from the time of their cancellation announcement before you can even fill the form out. That part really irks me. Why should anyone have to wait 2 weeks to fill out a form that already exists?

• Like 5

Just now, mianmike said:

Yes, and there's a big distinction between "within 90 days" and "after 90 days."  "Within 90 days" means you could potentially get your refund tomorrow.  The merchant saying they are not going to begin refunds until 90 days after April 13 is a huge difference.  

Big distinction...OK. Where did NCL state that they "were not going to begin refunds until 90 days after April 13"? Please reference a link or provide a screenshot showing where you got that particular phrase.Within vs after is a big distinction, and so is "begin". 

2 minutes ago, Murph269 said:

If we want to get technical about it, it would be 104 days since they force you to wait 2 weeks from the time of their cancellation announcement before you can even fill the form out. That part really irks me. Why should anyone have to wait 2 weeks to fill out a form that already exists?

You don't have to wait! Don't you see that? Just call your Credit Card issuer and have the conversation outlined in Post #103. Do it RIGHT NOW. No waiting necessary.

You aren't going to get a refund here...no matter what. That is the part that really irks me. CALL THEM. Don't wait. CALL THEM.

4 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Big distinction...OK. Where did NCL state that they "were not going to begin refunds until 90 days after April 13"? Please reference a link or provide a screenshot showing where you got that particular phrase.Within vs after is a big distinction, and so is "begin". 

It’s right in the cancellation letter they sent out to everyone. Direct copy and paste from

the letter.

A lesser value refund is also available for guests who do not wish to avail themselves of the 125% future cruise credit. Those guests can request a refund of the fare paid to be reimbursed to the original form of payment 90 days after completing the request form at www.ncl.com/case-submission/peace-of-mind. The form will be available from April 13 through April 27, 2020.

3 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

You don't have to wait! Don't you see that? Just call your Credit Card issuer and have the conversation outlined in Post #103. Do it RIGHT NOW. No waiting necessary.

You aren't going to get a refund here...no matter what. That is the part that really irks me. CALL THEM. Don't wait. CALL THEM.

Thanks captain obvious. I had no idea that I couldn’t get a refund through Cruise Critic, I really appreciate your insight. I guess a message board dedicated to Norwegian Cruise Line is not the place to discuss business practices of Norwegian Cruise Line. Just an FYI, people can post their frustrations here, while also handling things like chargebacks with their credit card company. The two are not mutually exclusive. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

I guess I wasn't precise enough.  I'll try to spell it out . . . The form will be available April 13 through April 27.   So in my imprecise response I was saying the opportunity to begin the 90 day clock starts April 13th and I failed to mention it ends April 27.   Anyone who waits to complete the form will only delay their refund even longer.  So if you complete the form on April 13th you will have to wait 90 days from that date to "begin" the window where you might see your refund. 

A cut and paste:

"Those guests can request a refund of the fare paid to be reimbursed to the original form of payment 90 days after completing the request form at www.ncl.com/case-submission/peace-of-mind. The form will be available from April 13 through April 27, 2020."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Since it appears that many, if not all of the the cruise lines are saying 90 days, probably not.  Not a lawyer though.

But they would probably agree that filing a dispute just because someone didn't like it when they requested a refund and were told 90 days, without waiting for 30 or 60 days, is unreasonable.

Absent express language in a contract, the question of reasonableness would come down to the circumstances.  Given that what NCL agreed to provide in the contract was a cruise, and because it became impossible for NCL to provide the cruise because of something out of NCL's control, and NCL IS still offering to provide a cruise when it becomes possible, by offering credit for a future cruise, or as an alternative NCL will provide a full refund within 90 days, a court would almost certainly find that to be abundantly reasonable . I answer this with some degree of perspective; I'm a judge.

• Like 2

Meanwhile, while everyone here was bickering about how long it should take to get cash back there was a group of nurses, NURSES - the people on the front lines of this public health crisis, that were fighting to get even the OPTION to get money back.  They were signed up for a NURSECON cruise on RCI and RCI was only offering what TMZ called "rainchecks" (FCC it seems).  It took news coverage for those folks to then be offered even the option of getting cold, hard, cash (or equivalent) back though I'm not sure of the timeline for those refunds.

14 minutes ago, brovol said:

Absent express language in a contract, the question of reasonableness would come down to the circumstances.  Given that what NCL agreed to provide in the contract was a cruise, and because it became impossible for NCL to provide the cruise because of something out of NCL's control, and NCL IS still offering to provide a cruise when it becomes possible, by offering credit for a future cruise, or as an alternative NCL will provide a full refund within 90 days, a court would almost certainly find that to be abundantly reasonable . I answer this with some degree of perspective; I'm a judge.

As a judge do you know what happens if they go bankrupt within 90 days. Does that mean you dont get a refund? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Unless you can cite a precedent legal case that says 60 days is max, I am not sure a judge will agree with you.

That's the beauty of it, you have no idea and neither do I.  But my past experience tells me a judge would find 30 days reasonable and beyond 60 days excessive.

7 hours ago, brovol said:

Haha, a judge that doesn't read well I guess.  NCL is NOT providing a full refund within 90 days.  The language is clear.  First you have to wait 14 days to even file the form, then the refund is sometime AFTER 90 days.  Do you judge livestock at the county fair?

• Like 5

10 hours ago, ukbecky said:

.....How long is NCL allowed to keep the cash just because they can/choose to?

In the UK, and directly from NCL T&Cs.....14 days maximum, following cancellation notification, here is the direct extract:

9. Changes and cancellation by us

(2) Pre-departure cancellation
Occasionally, it may be necessary to cancel confirmed holiday arrangements. In the event we are prevented from performing your contracted holiday arrangements as a result of unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances (see clause 10) and we notify you of this as soon as reasonably possible, we have the right to terminate your contract. In this situation, we will refund all monies you have paid to us within 14 days of the date we inform you of the cancellation

10. Unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances

In these Terms and Conditions, unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances means a situation which is beyond our control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, SeaShark said:

....The ONLY issue here is time....

Correct, but not in the way you suggest! 🙄

Here in the UK, NCL T&Cs lay it out in clear language....the answer is within 14 days of the cancellation notification:

Occasionally, it may be necessary to cancel confirmed holiday arrangements. In the event we are prevented from performing your contracted holiday arrangements as a result of unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances (see clause 10) and we notify you of this as soon as reasonably possible, we have the right to terminate your contract. In this situation, we will refund all monies you have paid to us within 14 days of the date we inform you of the cancellation

In these Terms and Conditions, unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances means a situation which is beyond our control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Here in the UK, NCL T&Cs lay it out in clear language....the answer is within 14 days of the cancellation notification:

Seashark is in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, not part of the UK since 1776.

3 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Seashark is in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, not part of the UK since 1776.

Who suggested otherwise?? 🙄

Isn't cc a worldwide forum, or has it officially now been given over to the US of A?

8 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Not exactly...

You do realise you have just defeated your own argument, the hint is in the words I have bolded above.....for your convenience! To help you further, it is also not possible to complete the request form on the same day cancellation is notified! 😉

• Like 1