Limit for credit card disputes?

15 minutes ago, JoelinSedona said:

Why should I have to provide Royal with an interest free loan for 90 days?

You shouldn’t have to. I’m just saying that it might not be illegal, and given the circumstances, and not knowing whether or not there’s some clerical or technical reason for the delay, I don’t feel a need to be in an uproar about it.

It is annoying to have to remember to check your account for 90 days to make sure nothing weird happened, but other than that, I’m personally ok with the 90 day wait. I know some people are standing up against the ‘corporate liberties’ they’re taking with the money; that’s a totally fair and understandable complaint.

I also know some people need the money; also understandable, though I have my own personal judgement about whether someone should have spent money on a vacation if they can’t afford to wait 90 days for it. But all that aside, it boils down to: is a 90 day wait illegal? If not, maybe someone should try to change that law. I don’t care enough about it to be the one to do it though. 

12 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

If someone doesn’t have enough cash in the bank to sustain them for at least a few months in the event of a job loss, why are they risking that money by spending it on a vacation? I get it that people have lost their jobs and expected to have income they no longer have, but if you don’t have enough money in the bank to cover your bills for 90 days until you get your refund, you probably shouldn’t have booked this trip in the first place.

9 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I also know some people need the money; also understandable, though I have my own personal judgement about whether someone should have spent money on a vacation if they can’t afford to wait 90 days for it. But all that aside, it boils down to: is a 90 day wait illegal? If not, maybe someone should try to change that law. I don’t care enough about it to be the one to do it though. 

Wow.

This is a totally wow moment for me.

Our world and our economy are disintegrating in front of us all.

We pay cash for our vacations. We have enough to live for a year without work. HOWEVER, now that I'm not working, there is no way we want that much money tied up with a company that will perhaps not even be able to provide that vacation. Now that I'm not working, we want to make sure that we have money set aside and saved. I don't need to give a giant corporation a loan. I'm grateful we got our deposit back because I think there's a chance a lot of folks won't get their money back. 

You saying folks shouldn't vacation unless they can afford to give a loan to a massive corporation that may go bankrupt is rich indeed. People are losing their jobs and they are scared. I think it's lovely that you are doing so well, but many others aren't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, justKirbo said:

Wow.

This is a totally wow moment for me.

Our world and our economy are disintegrating in front of us all.

We pay cash for our vacations. We have enough to live for a year without work. HOWEVER, now that I'm not working, there is no way we want that much money tied up with a company that will perhaps not even be able to provide that vacation. Now that I'm not working, we want to make sure that we have money set aside and saved. I don't need to give a giant corporation a loan. I'm grateful we got our deposit back because I think there's a chance a lot of folks won't get their money back. 

You saying folks shouldn't vacation unless they can afford to give a loan to a massive corporation that may go bankrupt is rich indeed. People are losing their jobs and they are scared. I think it's lovely that you are doing so well, but many others aren't.

No, I didn’t say anything about giving anyone a loan, I specifically said (though you didn’t quote this part) that given the circumstances, and not knowing If there’s some clerical or technical reason for the refunds to be delayed, that I don’t feel a need do be in an uproar about it. I have no idea why it’s taking so long for refunds to come, but I do think that myself and others will get their refunds in the short term (90-180 days). Anyone leaving their money longer than that, I think, is at greater risk of losing it to bankruptcy. Apparently most people don’t agree, considering they’re still booking cruises and “waiting it out” before they cancel. I won’t be surprised if a lot of those people come on here later and complain about the same thing though - how unfair it is that a big corporation is using their money for a loan etc. 

I understand that people are losing their jobs and they’re scared. People want their money in the bank. But those same people were willing to take the risk of throwing that money in the wind when they booked a cruise without insuring it. I have money tied up in a refund too, but I’m not worried about the company going bankrupt because I insured my trip. I’m a lot less worried about the insurance company going bankrupt because so few people bothered to buy any that there won’t be nearly enough claims to bankrupt them. 

Next time you book a vacation when “times are good” you should consider the consequences if things go bad make decisions accordingly. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

Here is my situation:

I cancelled two cruises (both before final payment) so I should be received credit to my Royal Caribbean

Bank of America credit card. These cancellations were made approximately three weeks ago.

The Alaska cruise credit is approx $4500 and the Harmony cruise for our

family is approx $11,000.00 for a total of about $15,000.00.  

The current credit card balance (which consists of mostly final payments on the Harmony cruise)

is $6500..which is due in 10 days.  

So, I will have to pay the $6500 (from my savings) to keep from being past due and interest; then

when my credits finally post, I will have $15,000.00 credit balance.  That means I will have to request

a check from Bank of America, and I have no idea how long that will take.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gdwest said:

Here is my situation:

I cancelled two cruises (both before final payment) so I should be received credit to my Royal Caribbean

Bank of America credit card. These cancellations were made approximately three weeks ago.

The Alaska cruise credit is approx $4500 and the Harmony cruise for our

family is approx $11,000.00 for a total of about $15,000.00.  

The current credit card balance (which consists of mostly final payments on the Harmony cruise)

is $6500..which is due in 10 days.  

So, I will have to pay the $6500 (from my savings) to keep from being past due and interest; then

when my credits finally post, I will have $15,000.00 credit balance.  That means I will have to request

a check from Bank of America, and I have no idea how long that will take.

Bingo!  We have a credit card we use for travel that had flights and cruise planner purchases on it.  Had the refunds come in the time frame the cruise line had said they would, I would not have had to pay the balance that was due a few days ago.  Some of the credits posted yesterday but they are in the new billing cycle.  Ours is nowhere close to $15,000, but more than we will spend in the next few months, especially since we are locked down.  

• Like 1

Lots of people in this situation. I have to pay my card $13000. What concerns me is I got a refund for my cabin in 6 days but haven’t got the refund for my kids cabins. As of today it’s 3 weeks. It is impossible to understand staff on the phone as they are working on VOIP phones at home in India. This week RCI drew down the last of its credit. I am waiting Until Monday, which is 15 business days from cancellation and then doing a chargeback.

As for comments for being better prepared for changes, who the hell plans for a pandemic? The plan would have to be stay at home forever and do nothing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CannyScotToo said:

As for comments for being better prepared for changes, who the hell plans for a pandemic? The plan would have to be stay at home forever and do nothing.

Me. It’s not much different than preparing for a job loss, or an unexpected illness 🤷‍♂️

Just now, gdwest said:

I haven't received any credits...period.  Not for cruise planner charges, air to sea, nothing!  After reading

CannyScottToo post, I am getting anxious.

I cancelled on March 10th and just got the cruise planner refunds yesterday.  I have not received our cruise fare refund yet.

Just spoke with my "big box" travel agent and they said it could take up to 90 days to get a refund.  They seemed pretty flustered with Royal.  I have my own business and I can tell you that the credit card refunds I have processed back to my customers the last few weeks have hit their accounts in 3-4 days.  Clearly Royal is using us as a source for cash flow.  Gonna give them a few more days but next week I'll start the charge back process and let Royal fight it out with the credit card company.  Past charge backs I've done have been pretty quick to post back to my account.

Edited by JoelinSedona
spelling
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 10:38 AM, ARandomTraveler said:

Me. It’s not much different than preparing for a job loss, or an unexpected illness 🤷‍♂️

Difference is if you cancel it’s only you and a few others the cruise line is dealing with. Here they are dealing with everyone. IMO they are being shortsighted. I don’t think there will be a big bounce back in business. First of all everybody will have lost money in the markets and from job losses. Secondly seniors will remember those trapped on ships with the virus. We wanted to make it easy by just rebooking for next year but they tried to stick us with a 33% increase and now we are left hanging for a refund. Talk about pi$$ing off your customers.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2020 at 10:33 AM, CannyScotToo said:

Lots of people in this situation. I have to pay my card $13000. What concerns me is I got a refund for my cabin in 6 days but haven’t got the refund for my kids cabins. As of today it’s 3 weeks. It is impossible to understand staff on the phone as they are working on VOIP phones at home in India. This week RCI drew down the last of its credit. I am waiting Until Monday, which is 15 business days from cancellation and then doing a chargeback.

As a follow up just received a bunch of credits. From the looks of them not everything and some amounts look like I will have an issue reconciling them but at least it’s positive news.

5 minutes ago, CannyScotToo said:

As a follow up just received a bunch of credits. From the looks of them not everything and some amounts look like I will have an issue reconciling them but at least it’s positive news.

Thank you for the update. So a little over 3 weeks for your refund. Good to know as I am a day away from 3 weeks waiting for mine.

On 4/1/2020 at 3:33 PM, Jonbiloh said:

The reality of the 30 day time frame is Royal Caribbean is delaying refunds to benefit its cash flow. No other reasons.

Refund processing at sophisticated companies like Royal Caribbean is an entirely automated thing. I know they are blaming "finance/accounting department delays" for the extra time but that is just a cheap line given to the front line customer service reps to recite to angry customers who are waiting weeks for refunds on cruises canceled by RCCL. 

I really don't like seeing situations where a company is using its customers as a bank when it has no intention on providing the service (because the cruise is canceled).

If cash flow is that tight at royal they need to return to the bond and equity markets + suspend dividend and cut executive pay, followed by managerial and HQ staff. I know we all love cruising (I've been on dozens) but let us not forget that this is a transactional business, we owe RCCL nothing. Further more RCCL has not ever paid a dime in Federal taxes because of its ability to operate in the grey with their foreign corporations all the while fleecing the American consumer and being head quartered in the US. Bad karma!  

And lastly, to the folks who say "what's the rush, you can't earn money in a savings account anyways" if we ignore the time value of money and simply consider the opportunities in the equity market (generational buying opportunity) or what's available in the CD or online savings account market - https://www.marcus.com/us/en (1.7% savings account underwritten by Goldman Sachs)  - you may have a different opinion once you are more aware of your options. Some may be eager to give RCCL an interest free loan but that's not me and it shouldn't be you either. 

Bravo!!!!!👏

OK!!! I got my money back. I got an email today from Amex notifying me of the credits.Thank you Royal! I should not of questioned the delay as we have loved cruising with you since giving up on NCL. I like to give credit where it is due. Royal made my day today!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2020 at 3:29 PM, coaster said:

OK!!! I got my money back. I got an email today from Amex notifying me of the credits.Thank you Royal! I should not of questioned the delay as we have loved cruising with you since giving up on NCL. I like to give credit where it is due. Royal made my day today!

I have two out of three cabins back. Cruise cancelled March 13, first rebate March 19, second April 1 still waiting on the third.

I have to correct my previous statement. Only got port fees back on a June cruise and my deposit back on a cruise this December. My math was off. The way the credits come as multiple amounts does not help. I am like many others now waiting for more $ to be credited.

Edited by coaster

1 hour ago, coaster said:

I have to correct my previous statement. Only got port fees back on a June cruise and my deposit back on a cruise this December. My math was off. The way the credits come as multiple amounts does not help. I am like many others now waiting for more $ to be credited.

Coaster, I agree very confusing. Took me awhile to figure out they had credited port fees and gratuities separately. RCI has not done anything to make me want to cruise with them again that’s for sure. Stay safe.